"Help!" for: Painting

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by 23Magnum, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

Thanks Carpathia and RobotChicken. I'll try some on one of the shoulder plates and see how it goes. I noticed acrylic paint takes a LOT longer to harden and you can't even touch it with a finger for at least a couple of days!

2. Zaff

Zaff

Most metallics, and especially acrylics, have longer curing times. Metallics can also be a nuisance when it comes to a top coat, as the metallic effect can be dulled even with a glossy clear coat. Buffing and waxing will help with this, though.

3. morkar78

morkar78

Hi guys,
    what technique do you use for shadows? I'm painting some pieces of my master chief armor, and I wanted to do some shadow using this technique:

result: I had to paint them again....I may have used the wrong black color...any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Carpathia

Carpathia

I've never gotten that method to work for me either. The way I blackwash (the term for creating dark recesses) is this:

1. Prime/Paint the model
    2. Apply two coats of clear coat finish
    3. Allow to dry for 24 hours (the clear coats will protect the paint underneath in the following steps, so it's important that it's dry)
    4. Gather paint thinner, black/brown paint (I actually use black dye instead of paint) and two rags
    5. Put paint thinner on one rag and wipe piece in the area you want to darken
    6. While thinner is still wet on the surface, but black paint/dye on the other rag and wipe the area covered in thinner (ensuring you get down into any recesses)
    7. Quickly take thinner-soaked rag and wipe away black paint/dye, leaving behind a black residue in the recesses
    8. Repeat as necessary over all areas you wish to blackwash
    9. Add a final dull clear coat (optional)

If you find during the process that the black paint/dye isn't getting down into narrow recesses like channels, you can use a small paint brush (like the ones you'd use for a model car).

5. morkar78

morkar78

WOW! Thanks...sounds funny!

6. JayOneSeven

JayOneSeven Jr Member

I'll definitely be trying this, thanks for the tip. It's actually what I came here to find :)

7. morkar78

morkar78

Hi guys. I need some more help: I wear the few wearable pieces of my armor for a party and at the end of the party the painting in them was scratched....Is it possible to protect the painting from being scratched?

8. Chainsaw ninja

Chainsaw ninja Jr Member

Haha same here!

And morkar all I can say is a few coats of clear spray paint. I use this krylon 2x clear spray paint and I can barely scratch the camo on my pb gun if I tried

9. morkar78

morkar78

Clear spray paint! Got it...thanks!

10. Chainsaw ninja

Chainsaw ninja Jr Member

I've used acrylic and hand painted my helmet and it'll be fine if I put a few coats of clear spray paint and it wouldn't ruin it would it?

11. Katsu

Katsu

If the clear coat is the right type for the paints you used, then it will be okay.. Check that it is for whichever acrylics you are using. I personally try and get the clear coat from the same company that made the paints I used, as it will be more explicit that "Tamiya Acrylic Clear Coat" will work with "Tamiya Acrylic Paints" for example.

Be careful though, as clear coats are designed to also have an effect on the appearance of paints. A satin clear coat will dull the colors to make them Matte, a gloss will make them shiny. If you use too much, it can also really ugly up the piece, so hold the can far away and don't hold it in one spot for too long. Light coats of paint!

I sprayed too close and too long on a spot on my pistol and the clearcoat turned white and dried white.

12. purpuk

purpuk New Member

I've seen kitchen condiments used as the resist layer....like peanut butter or mustard.....just put it where you want to see the under-colour and spray over it letting it dry.....wipe off the bubbled bits and you have the silver/black underlayer show through as if the top coat was scratched off.

13. purpuk

purpuk New Member

if it's too cold or humid when you spray paint clear coat paint it will absorb the moisture in the air and give you that white "Amine Blush" every time.

14. Fluffy Kittens

Fluffy Kittens New Member

Hi. I'm sure this question has already been answered but I have better things to do than look through the 30 pages here. How do you make armor look battle damaged and dirty without ruining it?

15. Carpathia

Carpathia

You have better things to do than a little research on how to do something that's been covered multiple times? I just covered my own process in the previous page.

16. Fluffy Kittens

Yes, I do. I would prefer less looking at a screen, more working on Halo armor.

17. Zaff

Zaff

Not the best attitude to have if you want people to help you out here, especially as everyone who's gone anywhere with their builds has invested the time to RESEARCH and LEARN, rather than demand and demean. If you're not willing to put in the little bit of effort it takes to find what so many people have discussed and shared before, then the only thing I can tell you is "figure it out on your own then." And don't come here whining about how much time and material you're wasting on trial and error.

I mean seriously, what makes more sense: take even an hour of your time to do a little research, or spend many, many hours and a heap of cash in wasted material figuring it out for yourself? These people have done the trial and error, they've "wasted" their time and money learning the dos and don'ts when it comes to getting the desired results. You can either invest the time it takes to learn for their experience, or settle in for the long haul of making your own mistakes over and over again, but demanding that they all jump in and cater personally to you and hand-deliver what's been made widely accessible to anyone who puts even an ounce of effort into it, that's not an option.

18. Fluffy Kittens

I think that if they know the answer, they should shair it with people who don't. It takes them 1 minute to help me save a couple hours of research. It is also Carpathia's job to help out noobs like me. Especially because he/she's a moderator.

Can I be given a link or get told how to make armor look weathered? The previous page doesn't make sense to me.

19. Chainsaw ninja

Chainsaw ninja Jr Member

It is no one's job to help you! Moderators jobs are to keep unruly people like you off this site. They only help people of they decide to

20. Carpathia

Carpathia

It is absolutely not my job to hold your hand through your learning process. My responsibilities as a moderator involve moderating the site (deleting spam posts, moving threads, banning unruly members, etc). The mantle of teaching this stuff to you is placed on you. Go back to the NOOB Forum stickies, open up the New Recruit Orientation Video thread and watch it again. Pay particular attention when Adam says that this hobby is a lot of work that invovles a lot of research and (at 2:30) that we are not here to teach you.

It's not as easy as giving you a link. I don't know the location of every thread off the top of my head, nor does everyone else. The information is out there, look for it.

What is it about this process that isn't clear to you? I'd be happy to clarify.

21. Renton117

Renton117 New Member

If I could "like" things on this site, I would like the above post.

22. Zaff

Zaff

They did. Quite likely several times and in several threads. It takes you more time to type out your demanding posts than it would take to type "weathering technique" in the search bar, and just as long to read and comprehend the results as it would take to read whatever answers anyone chose to post in response to your post, minus however long it takes for anyone to actually decide to post anything at all. I mean you posted on the 7th. As of typing this message right now it's nearly midnight Eastern Time on the 9th. Roughly two days. Now I know I'm not fully aware of your daily schedule, but I'm sure in those two days you've had plenty enough time to use the search bar, as you've found ample enough time to complain about people not dumping the sum total of all of THEIR time and THEIR research in your lap at the snap of your fingers.

Seriously, use the search bar. It's there for a reason. Don't want to look through "30 pages" (it's now at 17 pages, not 30, if you have 30 pages then you've set your post-per-page count rather low), then click the little link that says "search thread" and narrow it down so you only have to see the posts that fit what you're looking for (i.e. "weathering"). No one is here to just hand you everything, especially not something that has already been discussed several times. Fairly sure there are at least a couple video tutorials if you'd actually put in ANY effort to look.

You see, this here "help" thread, and the others like it, are for the questions people have that they CAN'T find anywhere on the forums (or elsewhere on the net). They're not here for those who choose not to even try to find an answer. You said you'd rather spend time building than staring at a screen. Newsflash: we would ALL much rather be building than researching. But we have all learned to just suck up and DEAL with life's little disappointments. You want to do it, and do it right? Then you're going to have to put in the effort to learn how one way or the other. Be thankful for the bountiful resources of information that are available here: the people who put it there had to figure it out on their own and waste a much greater amount of time (not to mention money and materials) to learn the techniques that have been collected here in the various forums. Again, it takes significantly less time to just do the research yourself than it takes to keep demanding others do all the work for you. Heck in the time it takes you to read one of my posts you probably could have done the forum search, isolated a few dozen potential source threads, and searched those threads for any and all relevant information and already be back to your workshop with the information you asked for two days ago (which should give you some idea of how much more you would have accomplished had you done so when it was first suggested two days ago instead of standing there with an open palm and tapping foot, grunting "gimme gimme gimme").

23. Fluffy Kittens

In the opening post it says: "People who don't know, ask questions. People who do know, answer questions."

If you don't want to answer questions, then don't reply.

I didn't know the answer and wanted to know the answer before I detail my armor that took 200 hours and $200 to make

Also, why does everyone think I am ungrateful for the people who spent time and money figuring out how to do all this? Did I say something like that?

24. Fluffy Kittens

Is blackwashing the same thing as weathering?

25. Katsu

Katsu

People think you're ungrateful because you open with "I have better things to do", and "if they know the answer they should shair[sic] it", and "it is also carpathia's job to help out noobs" and "can I be given a link", "If you don't want to answer questions, then don't reply."

The problem is that weathering is a complex, 'broad topic' that includes a variety of actual topics, and not something that is just common knowledge. Weathering involves a high degree of skill, and there are a variety of things involved. It's like asking "How do I make armor?", where it's such a broad spectrum topic with so many different routes to go that you need a general idea of what you want to do first. The fact that you don't seem to grasp that, and treat it like it is a one sentence answer shows that you didn't perform some basic google researching which isn't hard. I know you're saying "Well why couldn't YOU, veteran do the google and just give me the link to the best one?" The answer is that our time is ours to spend how we like, and this is a DIY forum, so the general mentality is that you should try and do it yourself BEFORE you ask questions. I don't mean that you need to go and paint your armor and ruin it and then ask questions - just that you should do the research to the point where you have specific questions, because "How to weather" is not a question that is specific or can be answered in one page.

People try to be helpful, especially in the HELP threads, but when asking those people to take time out of THEIR day to help you there needs to be a little bit of politeness in how a question is asked. Saying we SHOULD help you, or implying that your time is more valuable than ours, or asking others to perform very basic tasks (Looking up a link - we don't memorize where pages are, so we'd do the exact same searching for a link you would do). Those all show disrespect to people who are trying to help, and that comes off as ungrateful

In the other threads you've asked actual questions with no fluff or pomp and gotten fast to the point replies. The fact that the response to your question here was far more negative should tell you that the way you asked it (and the subsequent way you reacted to the negative feedback) was flawed. It's probably best to just let the issue drop at this point.

The blackwashing question is an actual question: No, blackwashing is not the same thing as weathering. It's one aspect of it and is used to achieve the effect of darkening the depressed areas of a piece to accent the lines. A few topics to look into: Dry brushing, Black Washing (read about what effect it gives, look at pictures so you can see how it is and is not related to weathering), the toothpaste 'chipped paint' effect, scaring, adding bullet holes, adding dirt effects.. Those are some of the topics under 'weathering' off the top of my head. Each one accomplishes a different effect, and some people may want worn paint but not battle damage, or one might want battle damage and dirty looking, so there is a high degree of personal preference in this as well. You could also google "how to weather paint" or something.

Also, if you need to add to a post, it's better to edit the previous post than double-post, even in sticky threads.