"Help!" for: Painting

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by 23Magnum, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus New Member

What does the ODST shoulder med patch look like up close and how can I paint it?

2. sarlume

sarlume

Hey guys! I just found a can of aerosol plasti-dip in my car that I'd forgotten about from the last time I went out for painting supplies in October. Has anyone had experience with plasti-dip from cans that had once been stored in freezing temps?

3. recon313

recon313 Jr Member

Hello guys I just finished painting my armor of with samurai paint army green. And it's resulted in rougher surfaces . I tried to sand it with my 2000 grit but it peel off especially on edges. So I was wondering an1 got any idea how to smooth it out without peeling the paint ?

Fyi I paint my armor around 15 cm away and spray it one time every 15 min so I'm not sure it's painting method prob.

4. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Marketplace Supervisor Division Staff

If it's peeling, it means the original surface needed more prep work. I would take it down to the original surface with 400 grit and not sand any higher than that before repainting. Then use a decent quality self etching primer, and follow with your spray paint. A few pics would be helpful for diagnosing the issue as well!

5. recon313

recon313 Jr Member

It's peeling only on the edges. I do sand it's down till all smooth out. I would start from 200 grit to 380 grit then to 2000grit(wet sand)

6. FlyinPhil

Wetsanding to 2000G before painting is probably the issue, as the paint has nothing to grip to! Unless I'm misinterpreting that you sand to 380, paint, then are Wetsanding. Nonetheless, I'd suggest sanding back with 380-400 grit, then repainting with thin coats to ensure it is smooth without needing to sand afterwards.

7. recon313

recon313 Jr Member

Ok I try that out. I just know that making the surface to smooth will cause the pain harder to stick lol.

ps: Sry for late reply I just got an operation yesterday.

8. FlyinPhil

No worries! Hope your recovery goes well!

9. SPRTN5377

SPRTN5377 New Member

Hi all! Im wanting to do battle damge looks to a helmet, ive seen tutorial videos of how to do so but im not sure how they keep the silver metallic layer under the colored layer from getting scratched off, just wondering how to make the paint look scratched with a metal look underneath, Thanks!

10. RobTC

RobTC

Option 1: Paint your helmet all silver, add battle damage masks using condiments, toothpaste or actual latex masking fluid. Paint your helmet its actual colour, then pull/rub/wash off your masks to reveal the silver underneath prior to starting the weathering coat.

Option 2: Paint your helmet its final colour, then take a dremel sanding drum to it and scar it up. Clean all the dust out from the gouges, then paint the insides silver.

You can technically use both of these techniques simultaneously, since they achieve slightly different results, but be careful of over-weathering, which looks cartoonish and fake rather than badass.

11. Alueren

Alueren

I have a nerf that's model after the magnum? How do I paint that without screwing up the gun?

12. SPRTN5377

SPRTN5377 New Member

Re: "Help!" for: Painting

i gave mine a metallic silver spray, and let it sit for 2-3 hours on each side, and for the handle being black i dabbed it with black acrylic with a sponge brush to give it a leathery look if that makes sense

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

13. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Hi all! First time post. I've just finished fiber glassing my helmet and chest piece. Now I'm trying to put together a complete list of what I will need to get them to a pro level like so many I've seen on here. I'm feeling pretty comfortable working off this list here: www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=14613 But the part I'm stuck is the paint.. I've never done any painting like this before and I cannot find a previous thread discussing what kind of paint to be using... engine paint, acrylic paint, outdoor paint... Can anyone point me in the right direction? I think it should be in the noob sticky for future ease http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=41890

Thanks!

14. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Nevermind. A few more hours of looking and I found it. Thanks to Spitfire's all-in-one manual. So much to read. :confused It will be worth it though.

15. SPRTN5377

SPRTN5377 New Member

Hey guys, what do you use to protect a paint job? I might know this already but i just want to double check

16. vern 01

vern 01 New Member

New here also and still going thru the wealth of information contained in the tutorials and being shared by the more experienced members of the site. Thank you guys for the coaching, mentoring and your tolerance, I speak for many when I say it is appreciated. As an experienced aircraft and armour builder, I would like to share that there is considerable information to be had regarding weathering techniques such as washes, dry brushing, sealing, battle damage, whether it is with a brush, air brush or rattle can, just the scale is different. As a friend says, you don't have successes or failures, you have a result, regardless of the result, you learn. Challenge yourself, test yourself, share your successes and the less than successful out comes.

Don't discount sites or threads that are not titled for your particular subject. You can always take away small tidbits that can help. Sources and resources are everywhere. It can be as simple as that bread bag closing clip you toss out every day, its styrene, things that small can be cobbled up in to switches and details. Make a trip to the local craft shop, they are not just for little old ladies that knit, wander, look, search, imagine, there is no end to the useful stuff.

Build for yourself, your knowledge and skills will grow, so will the rewards, enjoy.

Vern
    great white north

17. Fllschrimjager

Fllschrimjager

Your best bet to protect you paint job I have found is to probably use a mat of clear coat spray paint to give it a clear outer coating.