"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having problems with a helmet scale. When I size the helmet to the size of the height of my head, there are 2 parts that exceed the length of the actual paper that I am using, which is cardstock printer paper. I believe that there is a way to cut the piece, but I have screwed around with a couple of options and haven't recieved any help with that so basically, how could I fix a part being bigger than the paper?

Using Pepakura Designer, there is a button that looks like a zipper.. This is your "cut" tool, for cutting pieces along polygonal lines. In order to save changes you make like this, however, requires you pay the 40$ for the pepakura designer program, otherwise you will lose changes when you close the program (you can still print without a problem on the free version though).

Thanks, Katsu, that helped a lot! I am surprised that I hadn't seen that my self.

Hey guys im a noob to this i have been trying fing pepakura finles for mass effect n7 armor and for the helmet if anyone could please help me out that would be helpful thanks

Would it be worth pepping HD files for a MKVI or could I just use LD and work details in with bondo?

Jason, that question is something that none of us could really give an answer to, because it is your choice. I'd say look at what you want in the armor, do you want. Low detain but quicker putting together and longer detailing, or Longer putting together and a little less detailing, I'd say not to take my word for that. You should really just look at some peoples' armors in HD and in Low Def, and see which type you would like based on others' armors.

Would it be worth pepping HD files for a MKVI or could I just use LD and work details in with bondo?

Working details into Bondo is harder than it looks, you'd have to be a genius at sculpting to do this and even then, you probably wouldn't save a lot of time compared to pepping the HD model. Assuming you can do both, the question you'll want to ask yourself is: What's more fun, Pepakura or Bondo work?

Help

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some help with my pepakura Project, I am making a Hayabusa Helmet and so far I have cut it out, and I am about to start putting it together.

Question one: Do you have to completely build the helmet Before you cut out the visor or can you Leave it out like this one, from the beginning

Red%20Suit

question two.

what is the best way to put it together? like Do I start from the bottom And work my way up, Or do I Start from the top and work my away to the bottom.

I know the helmet is a hard one to start off with but I absolutely love it :)

question three.

Although this has Nothing to do with pepakura help, I would like to know how to start my own blog I kind of feel a bit stupid for having to ask lol. but Would appreciate all the help on that one.

Thank you in advance Guys.

P.S sorry for any spelling mistakes (if there are any :D) as I Did not have To read through my questions.

Answer 1: If a helmet file has the visor in the model, I highly suggest pepping it and leaving it in until after the fiberglassing/rondoing stage. The visor helps the helmet maintain its shape and ensures that you have a visor opening of the correct size when you're finished.

Answer 2: In my experience, it's always best to start helmets from the top and work your way down to the opening.

Answer 3: From what I remember, you have to be an infantryman to start a blog here on the 405th. A few months back, we were getting a lot of spam accounts which started spam blogs. The solution was to limit blog access to infantrymen or higher.

Hope this helps you out.

Do you have any advice on how to cut out the Hayabusa Visor?

I am from the UK and I have never Heard of rondo, is that Like fibreglass Resin.

Is there any way round having to Be a infantrymen before You can do a blog ? :confused

thank you For all your help so far.

Can't wait to show you All when it's done :rolleyes

Do you have any advice on how to cut out the Hayabusa Visor?

I am from the UK and I have never Heard of rondo, is that Like fibreglass Resin.

Is there any way round having to Be a infantrymen before You can do a blog ? :confused

thank you For all your help so far.

Can't wait to show you All when it's done :rolleyes

-The best way to cut out the visor is, after the hardening process, cutting it out with a rotory cutting wheel (Dremel).

-Rondo is a mixture of fiberglass resin and body filler (aka Bondo). Here is a link explaining it in more depth (keep in mind though that the author of this thread uses it for external detail, for internal hardening, simply slush cast the rondo inside the helmet; I still prefer the fiberglassing method over rondo hardening however).

-It's best to just complete the process and become an infantryman. That way, by the time you are promoted, you'll be more knowledgeable. Keep in mind that you don't have to create a blog to show off your work. As a new member, you're authorized to create a new thread in the NOOB forum for just that purpose. To do this, you can simply click on the "Post New Thread" button at the top of the NOOB forum page.

EDIT: Perhaps a better use for rondo in this setting is BenStreeper's Video thread found here. He uses rondo to harden his helmet in the video on post 13.

Hey, Irrascible, and welcome to the 405th (I am to assume you are just making yourself introduced here, so just saying ''hey''). As for your rondo-related comments, I have to go with our moderater here in saying I also prefer the fiberglass method. As far as I know (and maybe I'm wrong), rondo is lighter and weaker, while fiberglass/resin is heavier and stronger. Then again, almost the entirety of these armor projects are subject to personal change and tweaking.

@carpathiavh99
Thank you for the video it has explained a lot to me however it was kinder hard to hear what he was saying with his face thingy on lol :D

@SergantTinkers

Hey, SergantTinkers Thanks For welcome :)

I thought that rondo Was more for Detail work/smoother finish? However I think I will go with the fibreglass Way. That's If It is stronger as I will probably drop it A couple of times :rolleyes Any suggestions upon painting/detailing?

Any suggestions upon painting/detailing?

Would you be interested in being paired up with someone who would be able to answer your questions as you have them in a more personal manner? You may have seen the Mentor Program thread here in the NOOB forum. Might be something to consider (check out my signature for the link).

I've been working on my build holding everything together with an Elmer's glue stick, it works pretty well but can you see any negative long term effects?

The only way to be sure is to try a small area.

I use PVA glue (the regular white glue) and it has yet to be a problem with resins, but I've never tried glue stick. We'd be curious to hear how it goes for you. If you try it on a small area and it starts to come apart, you know you'll need to go over the entire thing with super glue.

Would you be interested in being paired up with someone who would be able to answer your questions.
yeah I would be interested. Do you have to talk to them on a regular basis? I.e. every day or as and when you Have a question. Also I have a job and I usually try come on here for an hour or so a day is that enough time?

yeah I would be interested. Do you have to talk to them on a regular basis? I.e. every day or as and when you Have a question. Also I have a job and I usually try come on here for an hour or so a day is that enough time?

You get out of it what you put into it. I stress communication for the mentor program since your mentor would be the one answering the majority of your questions, but an hour a day should be enough to keep checked in. Check out the Mentor Program link in my signature and get a hold of me there if you're interested.

I've been working on my build holding everything together with an Elmer's glue stick, it works pretty well but can you see any negative long term effects?

I use Elmer's white glue myself, and I've never heard of anyone having problems with the glue sticks. But like Katsu said, try a small section and see what happens, and let us know.

As far as I know (and maybe I'm wrong), rondo is lighter and weaker, while fiberglass/resin is heavier and stronger.

Half right, rondo is much more brittle, and far heavier. Fiberglass cloth is stronger and lighter, which is why I prefer it over rondo. Rondo has its place, I prefer to use it in weapons or as a base layer for hardening (slush a little rondo into a resined helmet and then apply some fiberglass cloth).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back