Help & Suggestions for 1st Build Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought this Bondo glazing spot putty.. what do you guys even use with this and for what? Can I use it in my pepped helmet?
I've looked a little around on the forums and I can't really find out when to use it or if why.

So I bought this Bondo glazing spot putty.. what do you guys even use with this and for what? Can I use it in my pepped helmet?
I've looked a little around on the forums and I can't really find out when to use it or if why.
It is for filling in small holes and lines that would be a pain to do regularly with bondo. It is not ment for sculpting like bondo, and it doesn't get hard. Whenever you look at pictures of pepped helmets, it is the red stuff that makes the helmet look like it has a really bad case of chicken pox

It is for filling in small holes and lines that would be a pain to do regularly with bondo. It is not ment for sculpting like bondo, and it doesn't get hard. Whenever you look at pictures of pepped helmets, it is the red stuff that makes the helmet look like it has a really bad case of chicken pox
Thank you! Guess if I mess up my detail sanding I'll use this then.

What do you guys use to pad the insides of your helmets? I was thinking of buying either some $12 bike pads or $25-30 airsoft helmet padding (amazon for both)

What do you guys use to pad the insides of your helmets? I was thinking of buying either some $12 bike pads or $25-30 airsoft helmet padding (amazon for both)
Most people seem to use the airsoft padding, or upholstery foam, depending on what they have available.

If you want to be cheap and don't really care , use dollar store sponges. I used that for my son's Mini Chief suit. For my bucket I used airsoft helmet pads.

If you want to be cheap and don't really care , use dollar store sponges. I used that for my son's Mini Chief suit. For my bucket I used airsoft helmet pads.
Most people seem to use the airsoft padding, or upholstery foam, depending on what they have available.
Thanks both of you I think I will use airsoft padding.
RandomRanger what do you use for a chin strap to keep it in place? or paigan if you have one?

he4thbar I glued the same nylon strap into my helmet that I used for strapping the other parts of my armor, and added a buckle. Honestly though, I hate the whole chinstrap system and will 100% be doing padding on this next build. It's too much work to take the helmet on and off. I've seen people just do their padding well and the helmet doesn't float around at all.

he4thbar I glued the same nylon strap into my helmet that I used for strapping the other parts of my armor, and added a buckle. Honestly though, I hate the whole chinstrap system and will 100% be doing padding on this next build. It's too much work to take the helmet on and off. I've seen people just do their padding well and the helmet doesn't float around at all.
Hmm maybe I'll just get the airsoft padding and cheap bike padding to fill the space so it doesn't float around

Hmm maybe I'll just get the airsoft padding and cheap bike padding to fill the space so it doesn't float around
There's also some green foam I've been seeing at Joannes/Michael's that's super thick, and super soft. I was going to look into using it myself and then simply cutting it down to the size I want so it fits perfect, and wrapping it in some cheap cloth. I'm not sure how much it is, but I believe it's less than $20-30. I'm not making my helmet for quite a while yet though, so lemme know what you do :)

I don't know if it's me living on an island and supply being bad or a marked change of manufacturers not selling pads separate from helmets anymore but I went to 4-5 sports stores, a similar number of hardware stores and a few paintball/MILSIM stores to look for extra padding to add to a helmet (bike, batters, hockey, welders mask, anything). Most are the same story of several extra pads for sizing adjustment are included with a helmet but if you want anything substantial, good luck. Amazon was the only way to go.
$20 and delivered with enough for two helmets.

Amazon was the only way to go.
$20 and delivered with enough for two helmets.
Hey thats the same one I had on my wish list(the US version) haha!
Thanks for the info I guess i'll weigh my options but might be leaning towards this more.

For my helmet I used some old bedding foam. It stays really cool to the touch and is very soft/squishy. If forms around your head and is stiff enough to keep it in place. I also added an elastic strap for the chin but it was not necessary. Just a precaution.
20190708_140323.jpg

That's what I bought, it might look slightly different because of how I chose to orient some of mine in order to get a better fit on my head. They come w/ Velcro coins that I glued down, and I can adjust the actual pads as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back