Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could this also be used as a replacement for bondo on the outside of a helmet? I'm looking to reduce the overall weight on my next helmet build.
If anything I'd consider the Foam Clay as the two part Bondo and the Foam Putty as the Bondo glazing putty spot filler. I haven't used both in conjunction but once set the Foam Clay becomes indescribable from standard EVA mats.

I went looking for an example of Foam Clay being used and I came up with Kamui Cosplay's Nergigante Armour

If anything I'd consider the Foam Clay as the two part Bondo and the Foam Putty as the Bondo glazing putty spot filler. I haven't used both in conjunction but once set the Foam Clay becomes indescribable from standard EVA mats.

I went looking for an example of Foam Clay being used and I came up with Kamui Cosplay's Nergigante Armour

I was looking at the foam clay also and I have found a video you might what to checkout before you go buy the stuff, just to make sure you are getting what you want.

Good luck out there!

Soooo going to watch all these videos when I get home! Really interested in the whole replacement for Bondo idea and have a pepped ODST helmet sitting on the shelf. Might have to make an order!

Well, seems like it was over before it began. I can't seem to even find 1/2 inch thick sheets, only 1/4 inch thick. Should have realized this country was no use for anything, I guess in the end, I wasted everyone's time. Sorry.

Well, seems like it was over before it began. I can't seem to even find 1/2 inch thick sheets, only 1/4 inch thick. Should have realized this country was no use for anything, I guess in the end, I wasted everyone's time. Sorry.
1/4" isn't too bad to work with. Heck, even the density of the foam may make it just as effective since not all foams are created equal. Grab a small package of 1/4" and give it a try! Worst case scenario is that it's a bit more flimsy than usual and you get practice working with the material.

1/4" foam is not bad at all to use. Don't get hung up on the foam thickness as an end all to quit. The biggest hurdle in any of this is learning to think outside of the box and figure out how to take the image in your mind (or screen) and make it a reality, but you will never know if you never start. You miss 100% of the shots you never take.

Well, won't 1/4 inch look like well, paper? Cause wouldn't I need the thickness aspect of it to make it look like real armor? I wouldn't want to be wearing a flimsy suit, especially with having to ship it if I am carrying it somewhere. I don't know if layering an entire 1/4 inch set onto another 1/4 inch set, and then taking away the seals would work? Cause I know weapons are built that way to get the thickness.

Well, won't 1/4 inch look like well, paper? Cause wouldn't I need the thickness aspect of it to make it look like real armor? I wouldn't want to be wearing a flimsy suit, especially with having to ship it if I am carrying it somewhere. I don't know if layering an entire 1/4 inch set onto another 1/4 inch set, and then taking away the seals would work? Cause I know weapons are built that way to get the thickness.
In laterally speaking, paper is 0.0039 inches thick... :D

1/4th is fine as it retains its shape and strength fairly well. You should easily get by with it, as it's what ALOT cosplayers use as it is the cheap floor mats... 1/8th and less is getting to thin and will bend on its weight like paper.

Here ya go. A visual reference: 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2"

Now get the foam and get going trooper! :D 20190207_211934.jpg 20190207_211957.jpg

My entire Reach Mk VI is made of 1/4 inch. If it's too thick, it will be difficult to get the details you want, so 1/4 it's my thickness of choice. Don't get me wrong though, 1/2, 3/8, all these have a place. I find it easier to add details with those 38 cent foamies from walmart.

Don't get down on yourself or give up. That's not the 405th way! lol We are the most supportive community I've seen on the internets, we're here to help.

For the sake of being contrarian with everyone being helpful I volunteer to be the one who critiques you harshly under the guise of being unsupportive but in reality I'll be really proud of your progress and gained skills. Think of me as your grumpy cosplay uncle.

OK, so one more visual references for ya.
20181112_052641.jpg 20190208_052454.jpg

Not posting these to ooohhh and ahhhh over, but more of a "I have NEVER done this technique before" reference. I failed repeatedly on trying to make an ODST helmet out of foam and went the pepakura route having zero experience. I read and read and read the forums, watched vidoes, and jumped in. To this very second, I have never pulled anything like this off, but I am taking it slow and re-reading each step on these forums as I go. The second picture is the result up to this point.

So what I am getting at is this. Pull the trigger, get the foam, and start. The folks on these forums have been absolutely instrumental in helping me get to this stage and they'll do the same for you. Best group of people I have ever found in regards to helping complete strangers.

Aye Sarg! As for me, I have the foam shipping in by this week, and then we are good to run. My tools of trade are on the ground already, and well as it is, critique is always welcome once I start punching it all down. Also I need one final piece of the puzzle, anyone able to send me a detailed back and front of reach's odst's? As well as a back and front (maybe sides) of the pistol and Ar/Sniper? I know that may be a lot, but with the time for transit, I can get a ref for idea classification, to part distribution. Also if someone could get me the Mark V from reach, Master Chief's one that is, or Jun's armor a back front, and side pics, that would be amazing! I looked through the armors once more, and I am tossed between an ODST, and the two Spartans. I intend to make all in time, but ehh I really need to see them all in full to pick. If anyone could help, that would be great!

Last edited:
So would this be enough? Lucked out on some, and got 48 sheets of 6x6 foam tiles. Would this be enough for my odst? Or a Spartan?

Attachments

• 20190225_182608.jpg
    20190225_182608.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back