Higdog827's Masterchief Build (NOW COMPLETE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the build is going really well. I want to start a gun pep, but they look really complicated. I like the wiring that you are doing with it. That light will really make it look complete.

I think you are making awesome progress on your build. Nice job on wiring the AR too. Keep up the great work man!

Thanks for the compliments! I do expect the AR to turn out awesome, and Im going to put up a few pics of its progress so far.

Photo1121.jpg

Heres a view of the inside (this hole is where the grip will be attached later)

Photo1120.jpg

This is the switch I installed in front of the trigger

Photo1122.jpg

Here you can see where the battery pack comes out of. This works great because it stays in well and the clip covers the hole when its in the gun.

Photo1123.jpg

And this is some expanding foam that im going to spray into the AR so its more sturdy. Then it wont be flimsy and ill be able to easily resin the outside.

Ok unfortunately, I wont be able to do anything on the build this weekend (Camping again), but when i get back Ill pep the left boot and post some pics up around tuesday or wednesday. Thanks!

Well, the updates are here sooner than expected! :)
Heres the finished boots(After I resin it, Ill cut the middle out and replace it with rubber tubing):
Photo1127.jpg

Heres the bottoms of the two:
Photo1128.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for some bad news.
You remember how Im going to use expanding foam to make the inside of my AR rigid? Well I wanted to test it out, so I decided to test it out on my biofoam canister. BAD IDEA. Well instead of following the directions and only filling it up less than 50%, I went to probably 65-70... Well needless to say, that thing foamed up like a rabbid rattlesnake on PCP!!! Check it out.
Photo1129.jpg

The stuff split the hot glue seam and ive tried, but failed to fix it, its expanded too much. So my biofoam canister is ruined. However, this is a good lesson for me. I now know that when I do the AR im only going to fill it about 20%, then it thats not enough, i'll add little by little until its finished.

Well, next up on the pep list is the left and right handplates (again...), then all thats left is the chest! Im almost done with the pepping! Then just glass, bondo, paint and repeat until desired results are achieved. Woot.
Thanks for checking up on me!

Awe man, that sucks. But it's definitely better to know now. I would say add little by little also, you can always add more. Good luck with it man.

Boots look good, and sorry to hear about the Biofoam canister! :( This is a perfect reminder of why it's always a good idea to follow the instructions on the packaging! (I did something similar by not using proper amounts of hardener for resin). At least it wasn't the AR. Keep it up though! :)

higdog827 there is a lower pressure expanding foam that might work better for you - try it after your first coat of resin. the lower expanding foam is used when replacing storm windows so it doesnt spread the walls around the window because then it wouldn't seal. It is sold in Lowes and Home Depot near their replacement windows and comes in a different colored can. - Bill

higdog827 there is a lower pressure expanding foam that might work better for you - try it after your first coat of resin. the lower expanding foam is used when replacing storm windows so it doesnt spread the walls around the window because then it wouldn't seal. It is sold in Lowes and Home Depot near their replacement windows and comes in a different colored can. - Bill
Thanks, ill definately look into that!

Well I was camping again last weekend (thats why it took me so long to get this done), but im done with this handplate, and i think this is the last time im going to have to redo one of these stupid things! I think its scalled perfect:
Photo1183.jpg

Heres a closer look at the gloves im using, I really like these things because the hexagon pattern on them should really fit well with the costume.
Photo1185.jpg

And finally, heres a comparison of all the right-side handplates ive done so far.
Photo1186.jpg

Well thats it for now. Dont expect more updates on this for a few weeks, because im going to be starting work on a Recon helmet that im making for a friend. Ill probably be posting a separate thread on that in the pep and cardboard armor section (I can post outta the n00b forum! woot!), so check it out over there when you get the chance! See ya!

UPDATES

CHIEF ARMOR UPDATE
Ive finally started fiberglassing! So far im only doing pieces that I scalled wrong (such as the handplates) so that I have a little practice. Ive glassed a left handplate (which I am now painting as well), and an overscalled right boot that was actually done in HD. Here ya go!

Photo119.jpg

Handplate Glassed

Photo1203.jpg

Boot with a light coat of resin (Im just using these for practice, so Im not going to waste very much resin on these. I also didnt use cloth for the boot, but I did for the handplate.)

Photo1202.jpg

Heres the handplate with a base coat of black on it

RECON HELMET UPDATE
Ok, ive decided that I wont be putting up a thread on the recon helmet that Im working on, Ill just be posting progress on it on this thread (No sense in wasting threads right?)
So at this point in the build, the helmet is about 1/3 glued together. No pics for now, Ill put some in the next update.

Ok thats it for now, thanks!

You're off to a good start. And you can't go wrong with Spitfire helping you. Keep us posted.

And you can't go wrong with Spitfire helping you.
Believe me, I know! I owe a huge thanks to everyone whos helped me on this build so far!

RECON HELMET UPDATE
Ok, quick update!
I finished pepping the helmet today! Check it out!

Photo1216.jpg

Photo1215.jpg

Photo1214.jpg

Photo1212.jpg

Ill probably be fiberglassing it here soon, stay tuned for more updates!

Todays updates are not over! (Id put these into the last post but im afraid ill run over the limit for pictures in a post)

CHIEF ARMOR UPDATE

Today I finished painting my practice pieces!

Photo1220.jpg

Heres the handplate ive been working on. The reason it looks all black and crappy is because I REALLY overdid the blackwash... I mean, its not TERRIBLE, but it doesnt look like what I wanted it to. Oh well, thats why im practicing!

Photo122.jpg

Ok heres me with my respirator holding the hand and toe peices. (Note my lazy eye and led zepplin T shirt)

Photo1226.jpg

Heres my makeshift spray booth I use when spray painting (I use it mostly for spraying controllers, the rectangle thing in the front is for holding the battery packs and the tube is for holding D-pads. The cup in the middle holds the main body of the controller).
I havent actually sprayed on the peices, Ive been spraying into a cup and mixing the colors I have to achieve the Ideal sagey green, then brushing that on.

Photo12.jpg

And finally, here is the completed test boot. I think it looks really good.

Alright thanks for checking it out, I hope to hear from you! (And sorry for the double post!)

It's always a good idea to practice your painting technique, and what better way to make use of discarded Pep piece. The paint looks great, maybe a little heavy on the black weathering, but that's up to you anyway. Keep up the great work. :)

Hey everybody, Ive got a special treat for you! Today I glassed my knife, and the thing is SOLID.

CHIEF ARMOR UPDATE
Ok, check this thing out!
(The reason the knife itself is green is because I ran out of brushes, so I had to re-use the one that I painted with. :p oh well, it looks cool!)
Photo1233.jpg

Photo1235.jpg

Photo1236.jpg

Now I dont know if you can tell, but the knife is sharpened... I put a few extra coats of resin on the blade so id have room to sharpen it, and it worked! *Que maniacal laughter*
Anyway, I sanded it and its knida sharp. You couldnt cut anything with it, but tomorrow im going to run it through the electric knife sharpener in my kitchen drawer (that hasnt been used in years by the way), and make the thing super sharp!! Its gonna be epic. (By the way, is that safe? or even possible?)

I realllllly want to paint it tomorrow, but I cant find any good refrence pictures of the handle! does anyone have some I could use? Id really appreciate it!
If I can get some good refrence pics, Ill paint it tomorrow!
Thanks!!!

Ok, Another quick update for today!
You guys can forget about those refrence pics I asked for, I decided to go into forge and make some of my own! And since I made some good ones, I decided to paint the handle and sheath tonight! Here ya go!

Photo1237.jpg

Photo1238.jpg

Photo1239.jpg

Photo1240.jpg

Ok, sorry for the double post, but I wanted to get these pics up. Hope you like it!

It's all looking really great so far Higdog, keep up the good work. As a side note, when you get to the point of hardening your rifle, please resin the outside of it before you inject the foam into it. It's not a waste of resin, trust me.

UPDATE! Its KNIFE-TACULAR!!!!
Ok, so you know how I said I was going to sharpen my knife? Well unfortunately my sharpener was too small for my knife to fit in... :p
Regardless, I went ahead and whipped up some gray paint and brushed it onto the blade, then I used some krylon fusion clearcoat to give the blade a shiny-ish look. After that I took my fancy sanding sponge and gave the sheath and handle a weathered/battle damaged look. In the end, I think it came out awesome!
Also, after some quick forum searching, I discovered the limit for pictures in a post is ten. So prepare to be bombarded by some nonstop knifey goodness!!!!!

Photo1242.jpg

Photo1243.jpg

Photo1245.jpg

Photo1246.jpg

Photo1249.jpg

Please note that the actual color of the blade is a lot closer to the game in person. These pictures didnt capture the coloring right.

Photo1250.jpg

Photo1251.jpg

Click right analog stick to knife!

Photo1252.jpg

DIE FAUCET!!!

Photo1254.jpg

Question. What is the one thing you should bring to the dark side of the moon? This knife.

Ok, classic rock refrences aside, Its pretty great. The knife fits in the sheath perfectly, its all really hard (thats what she said :)) from the extra coats of resin.
This knife is awesome.
Any questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back