Higdog827's Masterchief Build (NOW COMPLETE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also higdog827 I just rememberer this when I did my helmet I noticed that the visor was uneven on my helmet and it was off by a little slant what I found to be a quick and easy fix was mighty putty its this nasty smelling crap thats hard to kneed but it does the job and you can sand it and paint it.

rrrr.jpg

So mighty putty IS a good gap filler? Hmm.. interesting. BTW I love your signature lol.

Good work glad to see you decided to make your own helmet ;)

Well unfortunately, its for a friend, not me... Oh well.

Ok, i just got back from home depot where i picked up a can of bondo and some new fillters for my respirator. My friend changed his mind and said that he now wants it smoothed, but this is good, because itll give me some bondo experience for when i finally get around to finishng up Masterchief.
Now i know this seems like a really nooby question, but is there a certain way your supposed to open the can? I mean, I was planning on just taking a knife to it, but is there a less savage/better way to open it?
I plan on getting the bondo on the helmet and sanding tomorrow, then probably painting sunday.

Also, Lawacr, thanks for the tip with the mighty putty, I think i remember my grandma saying she has some in her basement somewhere, so i might just have to try that out!

Stay tuned, updates either tonight or tomorow.

Alright everyone, ive begun bondoing, and its coming along well! Heres what I have done so far.

Photo1301.jpg

Heres a view of the front

Photo1302.jpg

Here is the inside, I put some to support those little tab things that are on top of the visor

Photo1303.jpg

Heres a bit of the top and the other side

Ok, its going pretty good, but I have a question. Are you supposed to just bondo and sand the parts that need smoothed, or are you supposed to cover the whole thing? I think you just do the parts that need smoothed, but im not positive, so i figured id ask you guys before I screw the thing up.
Hope to hear from you guys soon, I plan on doing some more tonight. Ill keep ya posted.

Now i know this seems like a really nooby question, but is there a certain way your supposed to open the can? I mean, I was planning on just taking a knife to it, but is there a less savage/better way to open it?
I plan on getting the bondo on the helmet and sanding tomorrow, then probably painting sunday.

Use a paint can opener, they sell 'em for like $1 at the painting department.

Hey, ive finished the bondo on the helmet! And god, there was SO MUCH SANDING!!!!!!!!! And of course, i dont have a mouse sander, so i had to do it all by hand... Anyway, heres a look at my bondo work! Also, i taped a visor in that made out of a 2 liter bottle and some very light coats of gold spray paint. Its actually really easy to see out of! (If youre ever in need of a real quick, easy, and effective visor, you should try it!)

Photo1312.jpg

Photo1313.jpg

Photo1315.jpg

Photo1314.jpg

Photo1316.jpg

On this picture, the painters tape in in there to temporarily hold in the visor.

Photo1320.jpg

As you can see, I already added a bit of the weathering and battle damage.

Ok, Im now begining to paint. Im crossing my fingers that i dont screw up, put im a pretty experienced painter, so i should be ok.

Next thing to do is to put a coat of black on, then tape off the black areas, then spray it red!
Also, if anyone has some good pics of the back of the recon helmet, itd be a huge help to me! (I actually have recon in ODST and reach, but im really looking for a pic of the back of the halo 3 recon helmet. Id do it myself, but i still need two vidmasters before i can haz H3 reconz!!)

Good news guys, i finished the painting! And i think it came out great! It still needs a bit of weathering and all that, but so far, its really good! Here, check this out!

Photo1322.jpg

Photo1321.jpg

Photo1323.jpg

Photo1324.jpg

Photo1326.jpg

Photo1334.jpg

Photo1333.jpg

Ok, what do you think? I want to know your opinion! Also, if you guys have any suggestions for how i should weather it, those would be greatly appreciated as well!
Thanks for checkin it out!

You'v inspired me to make a knife now :)
I never realised how big the thing was o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
You'v inspired me to make a knife now :)
I never realised how big the thing was o_O

Well, Im very happy i inspired you!
HappyRageGuy.png

(And yes, the thing IS quite large!)

Alright everyone, I was really working fast on that project last week, however some things have came up in my schedule that have drasticly lowered my produdctivity (mainly mass amounts of graduation parties). Anyway, Im really trying to get as much done as i can, and ill probably have the weathering done and visor installed (along with some other finishing touches) by wednesday or so. stay tuned!

Well, Im very happy i inspired you!
HappyRageGuy.png

(And yes, the thing IS quite large!)

Alright everyone, I was really working fast on that project last week, however some things have came up in my schedule that have drasticly lowered my produdctivity (mainly mass amounts of graduation parties). Anyway, Im really trying to get as much done as i can, and ill probably have the weathering done and visor installed (along with some other finishing touches) by wednesday or so. stay tuned!

Did you draw that? :)
oh and i'm really bad at finding things...

turns out my parents took the camera with them so i should have a video tomorrow
Heres the video

Cool, check out my knife, i think it's on page 8 or 9 of my EOD build thread. Comments welcome:D
Woah dude! Your bondo work is awesome! Now looking back on it, I reaaaallly wish id had some bondo back when i did that knife, it would have looked much better. But dont get me wrong, Im still extremely happy with it! By the way, when do you plan on painting it, because I CANT WAIT to see that thing finished!!!

Did you draw that? :)
No, its a charachter from something called a rage comic (theyre comics with these sort of charachters, google rage comic, youll get a really good laugh out of some of them). And your knife is looking pretty good! Did you harden it by putting cardboard on the inside or something? Because i can see what I think is cardboard ribbing on the knife, but other than that, Its good! Are you making a sheath for it as well?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, so Ive finished up my friends Recon helmet! Its so cool, I relly dont want to give it to him! Unfortunately, a deal is a deal, and I shook on it. So as much as I hate to see it go, it must be done. Here, These are probably the last pictures ill be putting up of the helmet, unless my friend sends me some pictures of him wearing it. So here we go, the finished Recon helmet!

Photo1367.jpg

Me wearing the helmet, it fits pretty good!

Photo1371.jpg

This side has my his service tag on it (its actually Emile's service tag, but thats what he wanted).

Photo1356.jpg

And this side has UNSC and MISRIAH ARMORY on it.

Photo1359.jpg

A closer view of that side.

Photo1358.jpg

Heres a close-up on some battle damage i put on the top of the helmet.

Photo1364.jpg

This is a normal view of a portion of my work table.

Photo1363.jpg

This is a view of the same section of my work table while wearing the helmet, as you can see, the cheap, homemade visor is actually suprisingly easy to see out of!

Photo1355.jpg

And heres another shot of the finished helmet! It came out really good!

Photo1362.jpg

And of course, this is so that someone else cant say that they made it, not me. Of course, my friend is a good person, and he wouldnt do that. But of course, if he later sells it to someone else or something, the possibility is there. Im just being careful. :D

Well now that his helmet is done, its time for me to get working on my masterchief suit again. Im actually really glad that this opprotunity came along, because doing this helmet has given me a huge amount of practice with fiberglassing, painting, and especially bondo.

Alright everyone, thanks for checking it out! And Id really like to hear what you think!!!

No, its a charachter from something called a rage comic (theyre comics with these sort of charachters, google rage comic, youll get a really good laugh out of some of them). And your knife is looking pretty good! Did you harden it by putting cardboard on the inside or something? Because i can see what I think is cardboard ribbing on the knife, but other than that, Its good! Are you making a sheath for it as well?

Yes i just finished the sheath today :) and it is cardboard on the inside i cut out bits of it to the right shape to support it as i'm using printer paper and also because i don't have resin or anything fancy

Congtratz on the helmet :D

Yes i just finished the sheath today :) and it is cardboard on the inside i cut out bits of it to the right shape to support it as i'm using printer paper and also because i don't have resin or anything fancy

Congtratz on the helmet :)

Ahhh, yeah I dont know how well that regular paper and cardboard approch will work. Resin and cardstock is definately the best option in my opinion, but if its working well, then congradulations! although, im not sure if your paint job is going to ruin it though, because depending on the type of paint, it could really cause some serious damage to your knife. Just be careful with it ok?
And thanks for the congratz on the helmet! :D

Gonna be using spraypaint as i did with my 1911 when i get around to it
i hope to when i get some cardstock build an ODST pistol then the helmet and hopefully the whole ODST armor
The helmet and the armor might take a very very long time though due to materials and school and costs etc

Ok, I promise this is DEFINATELY the last update on the recon helmet. I used some foam I had laying around and added those little black things on each side of the front of the helmet, and that little black thing with the gray circle on the top of the front. They were just some final details I wanted to add in before I could officially say that this helmet is done. So here it is, the completely finished recon helmet!

Photo1376.jpg

Photo1375.jpg

Photo1379.jpg

Photo1374.jpg

Ok, I now declare this helmet FINISHED! It was a lot of work, but Im really happy that it turned out this good! Thats what I think is the most satisfying part of this hobby. Ya know, being able to sit back and look at whatever you just built, be extremely proud of it, and be able to say "Wow. I made that." Its really a great feeling. You guys who have made stuff in the past should know what Im talking about, and those of you who are still working on their first peice, or want to start or whatever, should look forward to it. It feels really good.

Ok, now that Ive gotten the emotional stuff out of the way, Im ready to get started on the last peice I need to pep. (que dramatic music) THE CHEST PEICE. This thing is huge. Im probably going to end up spending a week on this one peice! But Im ready. alright chestpeice, show me what you got!!!
Ok, maybe Im overexadgerating the chestpeice a little. But whatever way ya slice it, this thing is still gonna take me quite a while to finish. So I should probably get to work.

Looking good higdog, congrats on finishing the Recon helmet. I'm sure it was good practice for finishing techniques when you get to that point on your own armor. :)

I really like how those "scratches" turned up on the upper forehead area of the Recon helmet.

As for the chest piece, they seem to have unofficially, but uniformly been dubbed the "beasts", since they tend to require so much more work than the other pieces of an armor suit. Just keep chipping away at it and before you know it will be finished. :)

Nice work on finishing the recon | know what you mean by when you've built something you want to keep it
I gave my 1911 to my friend for £2 and immediatly regretted it.
A week later i got it back :)

Now I hope i don't start derailing the thread here but i feel that i should post the sheath i'v finished
and tell you that i should hopefully be making an odst helmet
Would you mind if i post updates here or should i start my own thread?
The updates will be monthly at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back