HOD Chicago 405th Dinner 2019

Where should we eat Saturday evening after the costume contest?

• Adobe Gilas | great Mexican food

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dave and Busters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming:
1) we called ahead of time to get permission
2) people haven't worn themselves out
3) cadet is satisfied w/ the precautions (e.g. call ahead, no props, check about buckets, etc.)
it might be fun for us to go suited up. I'm still new to cosplaying and look for every opportunity I can get. Plus in my experience so far, cosplaying at non-cons can be tons of fun fun too (so long as you're well behaved and follow all the rules). Besides, when's the last time you guys had this many 405th to hang out with at the same time??

Assuming:
1) we called ahead of time to get permission
2) people haven't worn themselves out
3) cadet is satisfied w/ the precautions (e.g. call ahead, no props, check about buckets, etc.)
it might be fun for us to go suited up. I'm still new to cosplaying and look for every opportunity I can get. Plus in my experience so far, cosplaying at non-cons can be tons of fun fun too (so long as you're well behaved and follow all the rules). Besides, when's the last time you guys had this many 405th to hang out with at the same time??
Loooord... I won’t bring my Halo suit sadly for Chicago Outpost but I will suit up professional with my own wardrobe...

Is that okaaaay?

Loooord... I won’t bring my Halo suit sadly for Chicago Outpost but I will suit up professional with my own wardrobe...
Is that okaaaay?
It's a no-obligation, for-fun thing. Of course :), and there's so far no guarantee of anyone suiting up yet as we haven't received clearance yet (there also hasn't been a final decision on a location). I was simply putting the idea out there.

Also, unless someone has a better idea, at the end of the week (this coming Sunday) I'll create a poll on this thread containing the dinner options people have suggested so we can vote on it. It sounds like no one has had an issue with timing it for after the costume contest on Saturday (after ~9pm Saturday) so I'd say that's relatively safe to move forward. This would give people a week to make suggestions, and then another week to pick from them.

Also, my apologies to our regiment staff. I didn't mean to undermine you I promise, I just wanted to get things moving and don't think you can create polls on other people's threads.

Also, my apologies to our regiment staff. I didn't mean to undermine you I promise, I just wanted to get things moving and don't think you can create polls on other people's threads.

No worries, I wont be there so I appreciate you taking point on it. Maybe we can actually decide on something :lol:

In terms of wearing your armor at the restaurant, id think everyone would be tired at the point from wearing their gear for 2 days straight. May be good to just suit down and relax. Plus Rosemont is a really busy area being right next to the airport so id expect it to be pretty packed. We dont need people scrambling to make repairs before sunday you know?

I think it would also depend. If we were going to one of the places within walking distance, and someone really wanted to wear their armor, as long as you called ahead, people can if they want to, I might personally discourage for a lot of the reasons that Andrew mentioned and also keep in mind this will be a Saturday Night Crowd of "Normals" and most of our dinner options are Bar/Restaurants where the patrons will be drinking and who might be less respectful of your armor and your personal space. And especially if its a place that people have to drive or Uber too, there is that whole set of hassles.

I would say bringing your Bucket would be fine and fun for a group photo at Dinner, and don't forget all our Volunteers will be sporting some pretty nice custom shirts by Saturday Night.

Well you both make good (and anticipated) points. I just thought having a table of spartan's would look cool. Thinking about it though, I also wouldn't want people interrupting my dinner for a photo.
Carry on.

Saturday works great for me. I will bring my bucket for sure. Any restaurant works for me. I usually can find something to eat. I will have an SUV for 4 people if needed a ride.

Would Hofbraushaus work if some attendees are under 21? I'm not sure what Hofbraushaus is like, and I'm only familiar with WI laws. I believe most people should be ok, but I know Cheyenne (idk her 405th handle) is 20 until just a few days after HOD.
Awe! Thank you for thinking of me :3

It's fun but they're everywhere. Since we're in Chicago shouldn't we go to a local restaurant or something with Chicago type food?
This makes sense to me. It hasn't been said on the thread yet, but lou malnatis and giordannos have been listed on facebook multiple times as 'go to' pizza places in Chicago.

I remember going to Giordannos. My brother burned his mouth because the pizza was fresh out of the oven, but it was good pizza so it was worth it

I really need to get my armor ready for Boo at the Zoo this year. I was planning on getting it done for HOD but, you know, stuff happens

As I read through the thread, a thought occurs. If people are gonna want pictures with the costume at dinner, and you want to bring a costume, why not construct a rudimentary, cheap armor stand and sit the armor right next to you against a wall, which will prevent people tampering to much with it, you can keep an eye on it, and it's a great way to advertise the 405th.

Placement of the dummy, with permission of the owners, is the part you'll need to worry about. A corner next to your booth would be perfect, but wherever it is, somewhere EASY to see all the time is important so you don't have to spend all night being paranoid about it. Also, if they let you do something like that, as a group asking for free advertising space, if the place lets you, be sure to tip big.

And I guess there's transporting the stand, too. But if you made it out of PVC pipe that takes apart into small pieces you should be fine.

As I read through the thread, a thought occurs. If people are gonna want pictures with the costume at dinner, and you want to bring a costume, why not construct a rudimentary, cheap armor stand and sit the armor right next to you against a wall, which will prevent people tampering to much with it, you can keep an eye on it, and it's a great way to advertise the 405th.

Placement of the dummy, with permission of the owners, is the part you'll need to worry about. A corner next to your booth would be perfect, but wherever it is, somewhere EASY to see all the time is important so you don't have to spend all night being paranoid about it. Also, if they let you do something like that, as a group asking for free advertising space, if the place lets you, be sure to tip big.

And I guess there's transporting the stand, too. But if you made it out of PVC pipe that takes apart into small pieces you should be fine.
Armor stands in a restaurant in the Chicago area on a weekend is not the best idea. I suggest no armor at all, just to make things easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back