how to display your xbox screen on your laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Kill

Sr Member
hey 405th, this is Road Kill
do you guys know if you can display your xbox screen on your laptop by using an HDMI cable? i really want to know becuase i love playing xbox but i can't always cause my parents want to use the tv also, so iwas wondering if this is possible, or if you need anything else to do this like a certain amount of space on your computer? thanks

I'm not sure if that is possible... The laptop exports media, and im not sure if it can receive and display it... I know my way pretty well around a computer, and unless you have some fancy video card that can do it, I don't think so.

darn it, well thanks, i was looking all over the internet but nothing would help me with this, i looked something up and it said that you need a lot of stuff to do this and that it is all expensive =( well thanks
btw i will friend request you on xbox if that's ok with you? my GT is WakeJunkie

you would need a capture card or something like that. depending on what kind of video quality you want, you can get them either really cheep ($10) or really expensive ($300 +). I hope this helps.

It's possible road kill, but yeah it'll take some money

Just buy yourself a 25" flatscreen, prices on tv's are pretty decent now
and everything is coming stock like Hd and other stuff

There are very few stock laptops that can do video capture. The ones that can are usually quite expensive.
The best way to get the xbox to display onto your laptops screen would be to use a capture card.

This is how most gamers capture the game for posting to the interwebz. <-- I like that word.

:)

ok thanks guys
my laptop is an Acer and im not sure if this is part of the name of this type of computer but it says Acer Aspire

ok thanks guys
my laptop is an Acer and im not sure if this is part of the name of this type of computer but it says Acer Aspire
Acer is the brand, Aspire is the model line, and there should be a series of alphanumerics after that to describe which specific model it is...check the bottom.

hey 405th, this is Road Kill
do you guys know if you can display your xbox screen on your laptop by using an HDMI cable? i really want to know becuase i love playing xbox but i can't always cause my parents want to use the tv also, so iwas wondering if this is possible, or if you need anything else to do this like a certain amount of space on your computer? thanks
the only way i know is using a capture card that goes instead of from your xbox to tv to computer, from your xbox to your computer (friend of mine used to do machinima, had a dazzler and a HDPVR).

As far as I know, most capture cards have a bit of lag when you try to play (real time) any console via a capture card. There are several laptops that are starting to have hdmi inputs (alienware m17x, one of the newer asus do). Personally, I'd recommend trying to pick up a cheap vga input screen and inputting the sound through microsoft's xbox vga cable (about $30) onto your laptop. If you have an ewaste center you should be able to pick it up cheap. If you can convince your parents to buy it for you as you can use it for writing papers on one screen (your laptop) and having the other screen display your notes, all the better.

I'm personally using an old 15in monitor to play my xbox when the 'rents are on the tv lol.

Good luck!

ok thanks guys
ok the model number is 5742Z -4630 i think that this is it and there are so many numbers on the bottom so i'm not very sure

ok thanks guys
ok the model number is 5742Z -4630 i think that this is it and there are so many numbers on the bottom so i'm not very sure
Bad news...no HDMI input on that one. You can go the capture card route, which does have a bit of lag (as the computer's video chip has to redraw the frames on the screen as they're being sent from the 360)or I would prefer going with Sniperbaas' solution with that VGA cable and a cheap old monitor. That's probably the route I'm going with if I ever get a console, as I don't have enough space for a monitor AND a TV on my desk.

on my computer there is a hdmi plug in right on the side, but like most of you guys said that it would be better to use a capture card so i will probably use that
thanks guys =D

on my computer there is a hdmi plug in right on the side, but like most of you guys said that it would be better to use a capture card so i will probably use that
thanks guys =D
The thing is, that HDMI port is output only. You could view the laptop's screen on another monitor, but it wouldn't be able to accept signal coming in. The capture card is going to be your second-best bet.

Your best bet would be saving up your pennies and getting a TV/monitor with HDMI ports on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back