How To Scream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizander

ok, my friends and I are starting up a hardcore band, but first we need to learn how to scream :p . Does anyone have any advice or any instructions? I heard there is a proper way to scream so you don't damage your throat and voice.

Well you need to stretch your throat and scream with your stumage. Not the chest, or you wont have enough oxigen.
try to do do re mi fa... wile screaming. That would help ya out. And if your getting hoisted you know your doing it rong. Stop imediatly then.

remember when you wake in the morning and you can drag your voice very softly. its more of the grudge movie growl. that creepy noise from the movie. if you can make that noise, start working in words. it takes awhile to get used to it, about four to six months. remember you are conditioning your voice to handle the scream. keep singing songs that scream and through some practice, eventually you'll get it.

Hardcore bands attract plenty of girls actually, come down to NM and see.
Just a tip, suck in your stomach a little bit and flex your abs, stand up straight, gurgle from the back of your throat and add voice to it. You can then do a range from black metal to death metal to grindcore, but most of all, you just gotta practice it.
AND MAKE SURE YOU STOP DOING IT IF YOU FEEL ANY PAIN. Pain means that you're doing it wrong, and could permanently hurt your voice.

with the tine you spend learning to squeal like a pig, you could instead learn to play real music..
something that is actually pleasing to the ear..
just my opinion..

Enrisan said:
with the tine you spend learning to squeal like a pig, you could instead learn to play real music..
just my opinion..
seconded...

scream rock bands are a dime dozen. learn to play real music... and the chicks that you attract with scream rock music, arent the chicks you want to attract... in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
And look how close-minded you people are, I listen to a lot of music now, and hardcore is one of my favorite types. It is real music, and the hardcore scene is only getting bigger. Many people enjoy this kind of music, more than half of the people in my school love hardcore stuff. The girls attracted to hardcore music are no different than the guys; plain and regular.

RadioactiV777 said:
And look how close-minded you people are, I listen to a lot of music now, and hardcore is one of my favorite types. It is real music, and the hardcore scene is only getting bigger. Many people enjoy this kind of music, more than half of the people in my school love hardcore stuff. The girls attracted to hardcore music are no different than the guys; plain and regular.

close-minded? i also have a very wide range of music... good music... music with talent? are you getting what i am saying. good job tho jumping to conclusions...

now im not saying that all scream rock sucks... i guess my first post said that. so let me rephrase what i said.

95% of scream rock bands suck, they are all the same. its kinda like new rock, they all sound the same... where is the originality? my buddies screamo band played a show with a band that had the same name... how does that happen? i do like a couple scream rock bands, as long as the entire song doesnt consist of just screaming.

and are you sure that the screamo scene is growing? maybe in highschool.

come on guys , arent we all past that stage were it really matters what kinduv music you like? the reason all scream bands sound the same is because theyre all scream bands , lol , thats why all country sounds the same ,all rock sounds the same ,all classical starts to blend together if you listen to it long enough , (etc etc) but thats not important , we all have our own tastes , and we all know what opinions are compared to , * hint we all have one*

but on topic , im not in a scream band but i "sing" backups , and being able to play guitar and do vocals is a challenge (if your not writing the lyrics)
i always just screamed my heart out , because if i half ass'd it my voice would crack or i would be off pitch , but that video spawn camper posted was really help full , and i agree , you shouldnt have to "push" too hard to get the right kinduv tone or you'll just be tearing up your vox box ,
and dont squint when you yell to try to look all angry , even when i was in choir in high school , my vocal teacher told me to open my eyes and raise my eyebrows when i go for the higher notes ,stretching those muscles in your face while you sing somehow opens up your voice box more or somthing , but it does help. hope you get the rockstar status soon dude ,

\m/ :) \m/

Enrisan said:
just my opinion..

(y) just in our opinion...

DreadMullet said:
close-minded? i also have a very wide range of music... good music... music with talent? are you getting what i am saying. good job tho jumping to conclusions...

now im not saying that all scream rock sucks... i guess my first post said that. so let me rephrase what i said.

95% of scream rock bands suck, they are all the same. its kinda like new rock, they all sound the same... where is the originality? my buddies screamo band played a show with a band that had the same name... how does that happen? i do like a couple scream rock bands, as long as the entire song doesnt consist of just screaming.

and are you sure that the screamo scene is growing? maybe in highschool.

ik im double posting but yeah as said its growing in high schools not the real world wher normal people live, RatioaciV777 is 15 bro... no wonder. ive listened to scream music and as said all bland. as mentioned by another post they said that they dont like new rock foir the fact that it sounds the same. i would agree, the majority of it is the same generic garbage then the next. The other day i was in a rare mood and put it on 94.9 which is new rock, and i couldn't tell the difference from theory of a dead man from Nickle back. its a matter of whats "hot" and they veer in the direction that last hit was in and the next band u sounds like the last, this continues till all the music sounds the same. ik im gunna get alot of heat by the last 2 comments i made but i feel as though generation Y is stupid, though im part of it. just sucks to be associated with people i cant stand

....i take offense to this thread. i am not a fan of hardcore, because it is a bunch of whiny screaming. HOWEVER, try listening to death, sludge and black metal. There is a difference between growls and screaming. Go for growls and lower pitched than high school faux metal. Seriously.

And yes, the Zen of Screaming is a great video if you are just trying to learn. It takes practice to get it right. Lots of practice.

and for those against screaming metal, broaden your horizons. there is a lot to metal.

So you people are saying theres no talent in screamo bands.
i mean come on guys screaming actually do take some skill.
i my self is in a screamo band as a bass player and i have to say just doing backup screaming is hard.

and btw the whole thing about girls not being into screamo bands psshh.

we attract girls like this
emo%20girl%20highlights.jpg

unfortunately other forums like facepunch and 4chan have ruined my view of pic's like those :/

on topic (sort of): nothing wrong with girls like that! I suppose it's all about preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back