Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow man this is looking amazing. I love the vest that you made. I have been crunching my brain trying to figure out what I am going to make it out of. Question though, how much mobility did you have with the full gear on?

Very good mobility, feels just like wearing a flak jacket. :) Though a bit heavier in the front. It stops just above the ribs so I have good side to side mobility. The bottom three parts on the front put more weight on than they normally would because they're filled with rondo.

Going to line the inside of the shoulder areas with padding, though I wore that around the apartment for a good while and it didn't bother me. I'm sure after a few hours in it you'd feel it though.

Wow Hugh, that is awesome. You sure know your stuff. I probably already read where you posted it, but I don't remember, but what kind of foam/rubber padding are you using for your suit? Such as the collar and undersuit area.

Dylan: Thanks, it took me 5 weeks to build so it was a big challenge. If you are really determined I say go for it! I only know one other member on here who has built the whole thing.
Do you scale the helmet pep file like anyother? Or do you have to scale each piece by itself?

Do you scale the helmet pep file like anyother? Or do you have to scale each piece by itself?

If you are using mkshane81's unfold from the OP then all of the helm parts should be in one file so you shouldn't have much trouble scaling. The problem with my helmet build is that in pepakura it is exploded so it is not giving you an exact size. Remember, it defaults at 12.75" in length from front to back.

If you are using my original helm zip with all of the separate .pdo files then you can open 1 and import the others into it to scale together.

Wanderer: Right now I'm just using the black craft foam that Jo-Anns sells. It was on sale and the roll was cheap so it seemed like a good place to start. I'm going to assemble a neck seal this weekend and add it to the chest as well as add some layered panels over some of the parts as I go along.

after reading thru this topic all i can say is your work is awesome. the force is strong with this one as i really did just skim the topic how did you detail the helm just bondo or did you bondo and clay other areas

after reading thru this topic all i can say is your work is awesome. the force is strong with this one as i really did just skim the topic how did you detail the helm just bondo or did you bondo and clay other areas

Thanks,

I don't use any clay. And the only bondo I used was on the very top of the helm, that's it. I decided I hate working with it and would rather do an extra layer or two of resin and sand.

I stopped using an electric mouse sander as well. Instead, I bought a manual palm sander and do all of my sanding by hand. For some reason I'm faster with it and can work small areas easier than using the mouse.

For me, bondo just adds hours of extra work and an increase risk of losing sharp details that the paper model already provides. It's messy and it stinks, and I can only see the need for it on super broad surfaces that are faceted. It's good for a rondoing though! :)

None of the chest parts in my build have bondo or clay on them. And I'm doubting that anymore of my pep parts will use bondo. If they really need it then it will be a very minimal application. I prefer to work my paper models as efficiently as I can and place the fold seams in areas where lines naturally occur on the reference models.

Wanderer: Right now I'm just using the black craft foam that Jo-Anns sells. It was on sale and the roll was cheap so it seemed like a good place to start. I'm going to assemble a neck seal this weekend and add it to the chest as well as add some layered panels over some of the parts as I go along.

When I was refering to the neck piece, I was talking about the lip that goes around the rim of the helmet that I think you said to just forget about. I was thinking that if I got the rim to the right size where I could barely fit my head through, then it would be scaled perfectly so that it wasnt so short/tall for my head, or too long.
I reconsidered this, and decided it was probably not the best course of action to take because while my head might fit through the opening(which can be adjusted) you cant adjust other aspects as easily.

If you are using mkshane81's unfold from the OP then all of the helm parts should be in one file so you shouldn't have much trouble scaling. The problem with my helmet build is that in pepakura it is exploded so it is not giving you an exact size. Remember, it defaults at 12.75" in length from front to back.

If you are using my original helm zip with all of the separate .pdo files then you can open 1 and import the others into it to scale together.
Ok thankyou. I will get started on this soon.

Looks good man!! I know that the shoulder part is v1, but if you want to make a template, take a peek at what Sean Bradley did for his suit, and try to flatten that out. Just a thought buddy ;) Everything continues to look great!!

Matt

How did you make the visor for the helmet? Would it be possible to make the visor out of acetate, or would it be too complex for that?

Got back from a long drive today, time to get back to work on the ol' armor.

Experimented with some foam layering to add panel details. Also added some fasteners to hold the two halves together. I was skeptical on how well it would work but I am more than happy with the results. The downside is that I have to accept that I will never be able to get in and out of this thing without my girlfriend's help. She was nice enough to let me use her dress stand for some pics.

Still going to have to add the wear and tear, seal the foam, add the screws on the chest plate, add finishing coat to diffuse some of the shininess, and run the nylon strapping over the shoulder buckles.

Its so much work, but at least the shape is looking right.

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

And I figured I'd throw in some pics from the weekend. Here is me as Finn from Adventure Time with a bunch of Red Vs. Blue friends.

hugh2.jpg

Photogenic
hugh1.jpg

Amazing pics, amazing work. Where you been? Haven't heard from you in like a week!!!! Lol
Also, the Adventure Time pics amuse me to no end lol.

Got back from a long drive today, time to get back to work on the ol' armor.

Wow, that last picture is SO awesome :-D

I also like the dress stand, its colour goes really well with the armour. And I'm not joking here, you should consider adding a few purple details.

(I didn't mention your armour. It's awesome as well, but everybody keeps telling you that... so I'm trying to stand out by not telling you! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back