Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
RONDO is actually a mixture of fiberglass Resin, and bONDO (or any type of automotive body filler), bondo is just a brand of both. You can see a very good tutorial video by benstreeper here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish . He does a very good job describing how to mix the two together.

-Matt

hmm interesting.. he mentions the use of the cream body filler hardner as a must. yet elsewhere i read to use the liquid hardner from the resin instead..
i'll hafta try it his way, but the liquid hardner when used dries pretty fast (gotta work fast!) and rock solid, it barely scuffs when stabbed with a screwdriver (no joke i just tried it on the helmet i built awhile ago. didn't rondo much cause it dried so fast and hard i couldn't sand it for diddly without the dremel! but WOW is that stuff solid!)
wonder if that'll make it go a bit slower and make it possible to be sanded without a power tool..
tbh just did a Republic Commando helmet and 1 ODST shoulder with that method a short while ago (just made 1 thing of rondo, doing some more test/practise stuff)
but i def never used the body filler hardner cause the stuffs all grey on the inside ( never padded that helmet, prototype build, lotsa experimenting went down and it looks like trash :p hence i never made pics)

hmm interesting.. he mentions the use of the cream body filler hardner as a must. yet elsewhere i read to use the liquid hardner from the resin instead..
i'll hafta try it his way, but the liquid hardner when used dries pretty fast (gotta work fast!) and rock solid, it barely scuffs when stabbed with a screwdriver (no joke i just tried it on the helmet i built awhile ago. didn't rondo much cause it dried so fast and hard i couldn't sand it for diddly without the dremel! but WOW is that stuff solid!)
wonder if that'll make it go a bit slower and make it possible to be sanded without a power tool..
tbh just did a Republic Commando helmet and 1 ODST shoulder with that method a short while ago (just made 1 thing of rondo, doing some more test/practise stuff)
but i def never used the body filler hardner cause the stuffs all grey on the inside ( never padded that helmet, prototype build, lotsa experimenting went down and it looks like trash :p hence i never made pics)

Actually he mentions that you have to use both hardeners, as they are two different types. The cream hardener won't cure the resin, and the liquid hardener won't cure the body filler.

On another note, we should try and keep these conversations to the corresponding sticky threads; "fiberglassing" and "muddy secrets", to avoid spamming Hugh's thread.

Actually he mentions that you have to use both hardeners, as they are two different types. The cream hardener won't cure the resin, and the liquid hardener won't cure the body filler.
hmm as i watched he said the cream was a must and the liquid wasn't so much needed but he adds it anyways..
and the liquid def cures both fine, it has in both my runs :)

this is amazing, awesome build. ive always wanted to do a ODST helm and this inspired me to get started. thanks for the files hughs

great work hugo and the 105th ODST division here in Australia will forever be in your debt
we are still learning how to build the pepakura but we are learning fast and soon we hope to have 24 members equiped with ODST armour by next year o and we plan to build a 1:1 scale warthog so keep and eye on the 105th "JUMP FEET FIRST INTO HELL"

hey could you help me... i dont no how to add the two pieces. there in red outline. how did you add them whenyou where makeing yours... please reply
5529538504_14f1065bcf.jpg
[/url] back of odst helmet by arbitergomez, on Flickr[/IMG]

The shapes outlined in red are details that can be added with foamies (thin foam sheets) . You can get them at wal-mart or any craft store.

Jacob
people keep saying that.. i'm assuming non-super (a.k.a bigger but has less) wal marts cause i can't find jack in the way of anything in any wal mart in my area...
not foam pad wise, the best they have is workout mats

you could use cardboard or something else as well. Foam sheets, wal-mart, dollar stores, craft stores, etc. they just require a bit of finding...

No worries Matt, I don't mind if you guys discuss questions on here as long as it's useful info :p

this is amazing, awesome build. ive always wanted to do a ODST helm and this inspired me to get started. thanks for the files hughs

Thanks! Good luck on your armor!

great work hugo and the 105th ODST division here in Australia will forever be in your debt
we are still learning how to build the pepakura but we are learning fast and soon we hope to have 24 members equiped with ODST armour by next year o and we plan to build a 1:1 scale warthog so keep and eye on the 105th "JUMP FEET FIRST INTO HELL"

Thanks guys, that means a lot! I'd love to see a whole platoon of ODSTs someday. This is my first build as well. I look forward to seeing your group's work! Semper Fi, 105th

hey could you help me... i dont no how to add the two pieces. there in red outline. how did you add them whenyou where makeing yours... please reply

Yep those are "floating" faces. They aren't attached to the model. You just cut them out of paper then trace the part onto foam or sheet styrene (or whatever works for you) and epoxy/glue them on the helmet. For small raised details I prefer doing it this way rather than fold paper. By the way, keep up the awesome work on your thread! Your armor is looking perfect.

So I've been having to take a break from the forums/internet in general because I got swamped with work. This week they're having us take Adobe CS5 training which kind of put me in a tough spot dealing with jobs I have to do for clients. Therefore less time online and more time... in overtime.

And as convention season gets underway I've also been getting commission requests which are always fun to do! So, I thought I'd share some of the stuff I've found time to work on..

DUH2.jpg

ODST fire team in the works

DUH5.jpg

Inspection time. Have to make sure they're good to go.

DUH1.jpg

DUH3.jpg

Ready to ship out!

DUH4.jpg

Have fun with the packing peanut apocalypse. My living room was a disaster area.

Thanks again guys. I'm still slowly making progress on my own armor as well as the Killzone files (I REALLY want to work on those) But I'll just have to wait until things slow down a bit.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

-Hugh

people keep saying that.. i'm assuming non-super (a.k.a bigger but has less) wal marts cause i can't find jack in the way of anything in any wal mart in my area...
They can be found in the crafts or school supply aisle of any Wal-Mart. IIRC, they are labeled as "foam sheets" and they come in packs of 5 or 10 and in different colors.

Hey guys, I'm new here (pretty sure it's quite obvious lol) And I have to say, Hugh, you're amazing man! This is my first build of... anything! And your files are just wow, I don't even know what else I could say, I just hope I do em justice haha, just a personal thanks dude :) Oh and by the way, I'm not sure if this question's been answered (if it has please forgive me) but the link for the hip plate is broken and I would love to use that file, any idea where I can get your file for the hip plate? Thanks a lot :)

Oh and by the way, I'm not sure if this question's been answered (if it has please forgive me) but the link for the hip plate is broken and I would love to use that file, any idea where I can get your file for the hip plate? Thanks a lot :)
The links to both hip plate files are working just fine. Try downloading them again.

Howdy Hugh :) I'm currently about 3/5ths of the way done pepping and ODST helm from your file, and it looks like it's gonna be too small :( What were the default scales you have? My height is 290, Width is 243, and depth is 319. When i made my H2 ODST helm the width was somewhere around 330, so should i scrap this helm and remake?

hey done anyone know how to flip a pep file... example ok i have a thigh pep, it for your right thigh, so how do i rotate it to make it my left thigh...a video would be great on this subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back