Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
First cast/pull

DSC_0035.jpg

This build is shaping up to be pretty spectacular. Like everyone else, I'm blown away by the helmet, but your work on the armor is pretty stellar. I'd be interested to know how you plan on approaching the casting of the larger armor pieces.

looking awesome so far! I'm really glad you're taking your time and putting so much detail into this.

btw sorry to hear you haven't gotten Reach yet... it's incredible. but i'm sure you already heard that, haha.

Thanks guys :)

Actually, I picked it up today as an impulse buy. Got paid and it just happened to be by the register lol

Helmet mold almost done!

Update: 1st helmet pull

So I spent Thursday night and most of yesterday working out my very first, very rough two piece mold. I'd like to say that I am happy with the result, but the truth is I am still teaching myself this stuff as I go. Aside from 3d work, everything else I've been doing this project, including pepakura, is completely new to me.

The mold itself wasn't difficult to make, just time consuming. And when you are anxious to see your first results (good or bad) you are likely to make mistakes. Anyways, On my final coat of silicone I added the keys I formed from an ice cube tray. Had a little bit of trouble getting them to stick but I got them on there.

HughsODSTmold1.jpg

After the jackets halves were complete I used a screwdriver and hammer to separate them. That part wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but trying to get a perfect seam line on the silicone was. Next time I'm going to try and set up a wall before I lay down the silicone. Especially for complex shapes like this. The silicone had pulled some primer off of the buck, but I expected that much. The master didn't have a terrible amount of damage done to it, but one of the side vents came off and part of the visor. No big deal, I decided when I tweak the helm I'm going to remove the vents and cast them separately.

So, this morning I got up and got to see my first pull. As expected some of the primer was in the pull, but it's not a big deal. I never said I was a pro :$

HughsODSTpull3.jpg

The casts are anything but perfect. There is a slight defect on the visor indent, even though that will be cut out it still bothers me. The flashing along the neck seal causes the helm to be a bit too small for my head to fit through, but that was easily fixed with a little trimming. And of course you have a seamline from flashing that needs to be addressed with some sanding.

HughsODSTpull2.jpg

HughsODSTpull1.jpg

I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. I understand that this is an extremely complex shape and all of the changes in surface direction make it a nightmare to mold perfectly. I am happy with most of the pull. It retained it's symmetry, all of the deep line-work, vents with the holes, and the back of the neck trimming. It's very solid.

HughsODSTshldrhlm.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the parts I have finalized and are ready for molding, except for the shoulder of course.

HughsODSTreadyparts.jpg

And here are some pep parts I have worked on. Still a ways to go on the gauntlets, but man do they build fast! The downside is they are very simple, but perfect for odsts from H3.

HughsODSTmisc.jpg

Wow congrats on making your first helmet mold. The pull looks super clean, especially when considering that its your first really complex shape. I am probably heading in that direction molding soon too, so if you have any tips or pitfall to avoid I would love to hear them.

Are you planing on making a Vacu former for the visor?

Your files look great BTW crazy detailed. Keep it up man.

Thanks Kirrou :)

The only thing I can really suggest is removing vents and other parts you are worried the silicone will have trouble pulling from, and to just cast them separately. And really take your time, work slow.

As for the visor, I am not vacu-forming it. Actually I am trying another approach that I think is going to look pretty nice, and it will allow you to have whatever colored visor you want, mirror finish. I'll probably have something put together by the end of next week so I'll let you know.

Congrats on the helmet pull buddy!! Looks nice and clean. The rest of the pep looks good so far too.

I know this tread is kind of old but I am still new to this so can you tell me if the unfold models where unfolded to A4 or letter size? If it was to A4 is there anyway to size it to letter without messing up dimensions and things. I have look all over for some A4 cardstock strong enough to work with and it is impossible to find in the US i have determined.

I know this tread is kind of old but I am still new to this so can you tell me if the unfold models where unfolded to A4 or letter size? If it was to A4 is there anyway to size it to letter without messing up dimensions and things. I have look all over for some A4 cardstock strong enough to work with and it is impossible to find in the US i have determined.

I have only worked with letter size for my unfolds :)

2nd pull

Got my second helm pull finished last night, spent most of the morning evening everything out. This one came out cleaner, but part of the back was a bit offset. It was a pain to fix but I got it done. For the third cast I'm keeping both halves together instead of having them separate the first few rotations. I'll have an update on that by tomorrow evening hopefully.

I spent some time experimenting with different primers, just to see how well the plastic would take it. I used rustolium auto primers and they worked out pretty well. Polishing the primer with a paper towel gave it a nice sheen, though I'm not going to keep it this color scheme I thought it looked kind of cool and I'd share.

HughsODST2ndcast3.jpg

HughsODST2ndcast2.jpg

HughsODST2ndcast1.jpg

Wow! this is really lookin amazing! I really like the mold of the helmet and the new pep files you created
I cant wait to start on them myself

Awesome work as always Hugh!

Hey I got an idea...I'll stop working on my ODST set...send you my money and you can do it for me :) Oh wait...no....I wanna learn how to do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back