Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reworking files

As a request, you think you can do some adjusting to the ODST helmet model to be more like the Reach model?

Sure, is the only difference the altered ear part? I'll have to find that Reach ODST reference thread.

Wow! is about all i can say. You have done an amazing job with this. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Thanks for being kind enough to share the fruits of your labor. The pep files look awesome. I know this has been asked before, but I can't recall seeing an answer. If you have already answered, then I apologize for asking again. It's about the chest core file. Yours is for a 42" chest. How would one scale it for a 36" chest size? My math skills are pretty weak. It has never been one of my strengths. And since the file shows all the components separate I don't know what values for dimension pep shows. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Thanks guys, and Wiezel I apologize for the confusing pepakura files. I am still figuring out a balance between what works for me and what works for the rest of the community.

Currently I am in the process of breaking down my ODST helmet, simplifying it, and then do a completely new unfold that is easier to understand and scale. The same goes for the chest core and assets. Meaning they won't be exploded so you can scale them easier!

It's a bit more work, but I've been finding time here and there to edit them since the weather has been getting bad. So expect the files to be updated sometime in the future.

-Hugh

Oh, and sorry. I took another look at the models, and I first thought that the base under the ear piece was a little different, turns out it wasn't.

Hey Hugh, just got to say the armor is looking really good so far. When can we expect some more update pics? I'm dying to see more of your amazing work. Also on a side note I think i speak for everyone thinking that this armor build should be in the "Elite Showcase" cause it is just amazing and I can't wait to see more. Great job and keep up the awesome work.

Andrew:

Awesome Hugh. I am anxiously awaiting the updated pep files. I also second what Kenster1000 has said. It should definately be in the elite forum since you have done an exeptional job on your ODST build so far.

There is always more detail in an ODST suit, everybody wants to be a spartan, the elite few, are ODST.

haha!thats good news for me, as im an odst fanboy!!! spartans are meh.... odsts are mad dog, so i'm doing a slitly, altered odst (i can't be screwed making the torso armor, so i have an AWESOME substitute :) )

p.s, i'm loving that odst you got there ;)

ODST Helmet Rework

Hey Hugh, just got to say the armor is looking really good so far. When can we expect some more update pics? I'm dying to see more of your amazing work. Also on a side note I think i speak for everyone thinking that this armor build should be in the "Elite Showcase" cause it is just amazing and I can't wait to see more. Great job and keep up the awesome work.

Andrew:

Awesome Hugh. I am anxiously awaiting the updated pep files. I also second what Kenster1000 has said. It should definately be in the elite forum since you have done an exeptional job on your ODST build so far.

Haha thanks guys, but I'm just shooting for getting this project finished at this point!

No new progress pics of the armor unfortunately, as I've been very sick the past few days and the weather has gotten way too cold to be doing much of anything.

I suppose I could look at building a hot box, but realistically the only thing left to do on the armor is harden the shins and toe covers then paint. Until the weather starts being more predictable I may have to start working on the 3d models for my next project.

I spent some time earlier in the week (before all of the holiday mayhem) editing my ODST helmet. I have known for a long time now that it could use a lot of improvements, both to the model and unfold. So I am happy to say that there is now a more streamlined build of this ODST model available for you all to enjoy.

I realized that my first ODST helmet (which was my fire pep/unfold/build) had a stupid amount of unnecessary folds and edges. So I first simplified the edge loops on my model. Yes, I brought it down from HD, but the unfold still allows for a clean pep.

Then I took some of the parts of the helmet and flattened them out so they can be cut from foam and layered onto the helmet instead of pepped. For instance, the panels on the cheek areas of the helm and the front vents. They just get in the way and waste time when you are pepping them, it's just easier to cut those from another material and layer them on.

The visor was the same story. Why waste time pepping a detailed paper lip to a helmet that is just going to get cut out and replaced by someone's vacuum formed or folded visor?

Certain edge loops were left to add creases along the lower back of the helm and along the cheek area, where they were originally rounded.

Finally, I grouped all of the geometry together and used an animation lattice to taper out the sides of the helm to both better match reference and allow easier fitting.

I was so excited about the changes I decided to print the model off and start building. I don't expect you all to believe me when I say this, but I built this new ODST helmet in two days.

NewHelmetversion2.jpg

It took me five weeks to do it the first time...

The unfold has been smoothed out so you won't find yourself spending time scoring lines where the helmet should naturally curve. The .pdo is still 32 pages, but it is now 32 pages of larger, simpler shapes instead of hundreds of tiny redundant cuts and folds.

Capture2.jpg

So while my ODST is still on hold due to weather, expect other parts like the Chest Core and Shin to be reworked as well.

Dowload Here

Also, I am looking for help gathering reference images for a game that is only on the Playstation 3, which I don't have. If you have the ability to capture images please contact me!

-Hugh

Last edited by a moderator:
ODST Drop Pod

Anyone have a life size ODST Drop Pod pepakura file? Going to make a movie and I'm going to make it life sized...so ya.....if you do plz post the download below!

Hey i like the new helmet model. is the unfold like the first one, everything in sections?

Yeah it's still a box pep, you will need to use butterfly clips. Hope that's ok

I suggest building the dome first, then the back section and cheeks. Then glue them together and pep the front and connect the two large parts in the end. Basically what I'm trying to say is you don't have to use the clips all the way until the very end, you could get away with just using two or three holding the parts together as you place them and glue them.

sounds good thanks for the advice. looks like this helmet will take a little less time than the last. ive done so much on it im not sure i wanna stop but i no it still needs a lot of work to get it all smoothed out.
_MG_2134.jpg

Wow Hugh! The helmet file is great! Now us mere mortals can actually pep is... Personally, I think your's is the most accurate one out there, I like the shape of the dome better than both Forged reclaimer and Kirrou's. Plus everything else is pretty much spot-on... You are my hero! Guess what I'm going to be doing over Christmas break?

I think my girlfriend will have a much easier time printing this version out rather than the other one.... ;)
I just wish I hadn't already printed it out.

@chrisrunner55, dude, you made it that far, so props to you on that, so I say just go for it, and finish that piece out. Personally I think Pepping is the hardest part, so I'm impressed that you made what you have.

Love the new helmet Hugh, it seems so much easier to build now. You may have explained this already but what are your plans for when you redo the chest core? Also as a suggestion I think that internal braces would help a lot for the chest core and back piece to help with and warping before or during the resigning stage, just a suggestion to make it easier for some people. Thanks.

Andrew:

I think my girlfriend will have a much easier time printing this version out rather than the other one.... ;)

@chrisrunner55, dude, you made it that far, so props to you on that, so I say just go for it, and finish that piece out. Personally I think Pepping is the hardest part, so I'm impressed that you made what you have.

Thanks man i decided im going to finish that helmet but im also going to make this new helmet. the first helmet has been a great learning experience and will definitely help make the new helmet even better.

And thanks Hughs for new helmet its sooo much easier ive already started it and im loving it. cant wait to see the rest of ur redesigns.

More New Files

sounds good thanks for the advice. looks like this helmet will take a little less time than the last. ive done so much on it im not sure i wanna stop but i no it still needs a lot of work to get it all smoothed out.

Wow Chris that helm is coming along quickly! Great job! I know how you feel, I'm really torn between using the helmet I've invested so much time into and this new one, but you are right. The second time around you use the skills you picked up the first time making it better. I am really excited to do a second mold and make a run of these helms but the weather situation is VERY bad right now. I hope you find the new model easier and less time consuming like I did.

Guess what I'm going to be doing over Christmas break?

Let us all make ODSTs for the winter! Haha, thanks Fett.

I did that when I made the chest plate. Had to fix some stuff then I flipped the paper and printed on the back lol
It wasn't pretty but it worked.

Wow Hugh, this is impressive! I think I've found my pep file for my armor :D keep up the great work!

Thanks Rino, good luck with your armor. BTW you may want these before you print those files out!

You may have explained this already but what are your plans for when you redo the chest core? Also as a suggestion I think that internal braces would help a lot for the chest core and back piece to help with and warping before or during the resigning stage, just a suggestion to make it easier for some people. Thanks.

Glad you asked, just got done updating some parts!

(If the demand is high for it, I may consider going back and adding support faces. It's just that I personally don't use them and some people like to improvise their own.)

Alright I got some new revised files for you all. I re-worked the Chest Core and the Chest Asset files. (Now non-exploded) So you all can properly scale. Some of the geometry has been simplified, but for the most part has remained the same. Lots of smoothing has taken out the minor folds. Enjoy!

ODST Chest Core V2
HughsODSTChestCorev2.jpg

ODST Chest Assets and Pads V2
HughsODSTChestAssetsv2.jpg

And in case you missed the helmet update:
ODST Helm V2

Here is what the parts look like together...
HughsODSTCombo1.jpg
HughsODSTCombo2.jpg
HughsODSTCombo3.jpg

WOW, amazing job as always Hugh. I'm glad that I waited to build most of this cause it's easier now. Hugh What would we do with out you? Great job on the armor files and I can't wait to see some more of your armor build.

Andrew:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back