Human error and Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korbolt

Was working on a second helmet; pep for the shell, resin on the outside, and bondo+resin on the inside. Only after putting the mixture inside, covering all parts, and waiting half an hour did I realize that I forgot to put any hardener in the bondo. Its been a day and a half and there's no sign of any progress within.

So, should I
A: wait to see if it hardens in a couple days from now
B: drain out the slurry inside and start over, remembering this time to include the hardener
C: scrap it all and start from scratch

As this is my second time working with bondo, I only know what to do when it works. Any help would be appreciated

Before you start over building another one, I would attempt to scrape out as much of the Rondo out as you can, and if it survives, then just coat it with a another coat of rondo but make sure you don't forget the hardner, at least your trying to save the helmet, if it doesn't survive then you'll have to rebuild it, so its worth a shot, hope you resined the outside so it has some sort of stuctural support, Good luck

I have had this problem before too with rondo (bondo+resin). If there is any excess in the helmet that is still able to be sloshed out, dump it out, if not, no big deal. Then mix up another batch of rondo with a bit less in it then last time, 3/4s of the mixture size you did last time should work, but it really depends on how much un-dried is stuck in the helmet, if there's more un-dried, use less resin and bondo in the new batch but at minimum I'd use 1/2 of what the original batch was. However add around 3x the hardener this time. When you pour this new mixture in make sure to really mix it with the un-dried rondo, the old rondo will be VERY gloopy and almost like a hardish sludge, but mix up the new rondo in it as best as you can, I even used a paintbrush to mix up the two batches in some areas. Once it dries it will be pretty messy and there may bee too much rondo in it as a whole, but you can always sand it down, it's a pain though. However this isn't guaranteed to work, I've only done it once and I may have just been lucky. Good luck!

There's still quite a bit of rondo in the helmet with the consistency of caramel, the rest of it is "wet" to the touch. I'm going to attempt to salvage it, then try fiber glass instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back