I am ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for the great support, I am eager to get it finished, but school starts up next week. The hard part seems to be over though, goodness that bondo was a pain! The visor isn't bondo'd because I'm going to cast one copy, cut out that visor and bondo it, since sanding was hard enough on the cheek things. and they were't as recessed as the visor.

Your helmet looks amazing man! Be careful with spot putty, it does tend to chip off if it gets hit too much, or at least it did in my case. I can wait to see this finished.

That worries me a lot! Funny how brittle these automotive repair kits are... Even the bondo isn't as tough as I'd like, but then it wouldn't be as sandable. Luckily this will just be a master, so it just needs the putty to stay while I'm making molds off it. I really want a lightweight plastic cast that I can mess around with, without having to worry about ruining my only one. It's a bit silly with as tough as it is now, but the weight is a huge factor now, especially as thick as it is inside.

Looks really nice. I didn't wet sand my pieces, save some time do your spot putty, sand all your helmet with a 220 dry grit and go on with the paint. Look at my build and tell me what you think of it.

I love your work, man! My concern though, is that I intend to do a silicone casting for this guy, so I probably won't be painting it. I was under the impression that a wet sanding would help get it extra smooth, which would be important for a mold. It's especially implausible now because I did a couple layers of rondo and fiberglass inside to strengthen it up for any stresses from bondo or silicone, and it's made it too heavy and thick to wear.

I noticed a mold for your energy sword, were all of your armor pieces molded too, or are they they original pepakuras?

The spot putty should be strong enough to hold through casting though. I know exactly what you mean. I used Kirrou's file, too, so there is a lot of bondo on mine, and its really heavy. I thought about casting it, but I don't have that kind of money right now, so I wish you the best of luck with it.

The spot putty should be strong enough to hold through casting though. I know exactly what you mean. I used Kirrou's file, too, so there is a lot of bondo on mine, and its really heavy. I thought about casting it, but I don't have that kind of money right now, so I wish you the best of luck with it.

Ah, I noticed on yours like mine, you tossed out the tube things that go on the back. I had such a rough time just sanding down the space around those three teeth that I am not sure it's worth the effort of doing the tubes as seperate pieces and gluing them on, or something...

I was wondering if you got rid of that lip that goes around the whole bottom of the helmet? In the pictures it looks like you did but I can't tell for sure. I tried my hardest to preserve them, but they're such awkward pieces, and I am curious if that thing was even necessary for the helmet.

Sorry man, I only just notice your comment. Yes, I did get rid of the lip on the bottom, and I didn't put the detail on the back and at the top of the visor. I personally wish I did, but it was a lot of extra work, and I dont have time to go back and redo it.

Great looking helmet so far! Way to be patient with bondo...that stuff can be nasty.

I was under the impression that a wet sanding would help get it extra smooth, which would be important for a mold.

Wet sanding definitely helps make things smoother...which you'll probably appreciate once the molding is all said and done. You might have used these Norton sanding sponges before, but if not I would definitely try them out for your wet sand:

allaboutew_yellowsponge.jpg

They come in a few different grits and are great for details.

Thanks for the info, I've not seen that brand before, at least in norcal, but I'll look for a similar when I hit up the auto shop tomorrow.

I've decided I HATE spot putty, that stuff is worse than chalk! It was crumbly and not good at filling bigger gaps in the bondo. I thought bondo was bad, but this stuff is worse hahaha! I've been carving the detail lines, which is revealing small holes in my fiberglass layer as I punch through accidentally.

katsuodst09.jpg

katsuodst10.jpg

katsuodst11.jpg

In this one you can see where I was trying to carve out the details in the jaw thingy.
katsuodst12.jpg

The more I work on this helmet, the more little sloppy errors from earlier start cropping up. I am tempted to start over now that I've actually used a dremel and resin and bondo for the first time with this! I have a better skillset, though it would be a shame to start over when I'm so far in.

Your doing great man, Dont start over, just make yourself a layer of rondo to back up the thin areas where your cutting into the helmet, if you give the whole helmet a coat of rondo it will give you a base to carve into with out having to worry about cutting through the helmet

it has a layer of rondo in there, but there are apparently large pockets of air between the rondo and the helmet, that I keep carving into. Gonna have to try and fill it from the outside.

it has a layer of rondo in there, but there are apparently large pockets of air between the rondo and the helmet, that I keep carving into. Gonna have to try and fill it from the outside.

I love your helmet! But do what you feel is best. If you want to start over, by all means go ahead, but if you want to continue, good on ya! Either way, your helmet looks amazing!

Down in So Cal, Home Depot carries those Norton sponges so you may want to check there.

Thanks for all the help, I will see how it goes from here since it is close to done.

I sprayed it with primer a couple days ago, and it still reeks of acrid death, not to mention it still has a bondo/resin smell coming from inside the helmet. I see people use the fiberglassed/bondoed helmets as their main helmets, is there something I'm supposed to be doing to make it not be so toxic? LilTyrant mentioned not much caring for the toxic carcinogenic wonders of bondo (me neither which is why I want to ultimately cast it in plastic), but any tips from anyone on reducing the odor until I can get my mold done would be great. Right now it's sitting in a hall closet wrapped in two plastic bags. Not very cool for displaying.

I know what you mean, I left one of my freshly bondoed/resined/primed helmets in my room once and it smelled toxicy but i guess it just goes away with time, you should just leave it outside so it can air out the odor. Your helmet is looking really awesome btw.

you should just leave it outside so it can air out the odor

Agreed! Outside is a good idea to get the stink off faster.

You've probably already heard this (so sorry to sound all "parent-ish"), but I'd wear a respirator when you work with that stuff (whether applying or sanding)...and definitely do it in a well ventilated area. I work in an industry with moderate bondo exposure and I know quite a few people who have developed a sensitivity to the stuff (along with other nasty chemicals) from being around it too much. :(

Excited to see more progress! :)

Ah, I strongly agree, I always have been a strong advocator of respirators, and say that it is the most important tool in a toolbox, even more than a hammer, that's what your hands are for afterall!

katsu.jpg

I've always had bad lungs, so that bad boy has served me well and was one of my first purchases for my toolbox. But I don't think the importance of having a respirator can be repeated too much, I do appreciate you bringing it up, as it is important to be sure everyone has one. I've said elsewhere here that I've had to clear out a closet we forgot we had, a pipe inside had burst in 2002 and we just opened the closet up this summer, the entire inside was black with mold. Respirator and goggles saved my life there!

Also, my chestplate did not survive the move to San Jose...
katsuodstcrushed.jpg

I'm salvaging the circle thing in the center. No way I'm gluing a new one of those horrible things!

It doesn't look TOO bad overall in that picture, but from the side it's a pancake now. I tried forcing it back into shape but paper folds are hard to undo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back