Iron Man Bust Pep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubean33

Hey everyone,

Recently I've been looking at the Sideshow 1:1 Life-size Bust of Iron Man and couldn't help but think of how awesome it was. Seen here. I really want one, but at the spendy price tag of nearly $700 there is no way i'll ever get one..and quite frankly it would be hard for me to fork over that much for something you can't even wear.

So why not make one for fractions of the price? :)

My plan is to have the whole piece stationary and mounted on a stand, while the helmet can be removed and worn as desired. I've began assembling files (Dancin_fools chest, neck and back) and editing their meshes a teeny bit (mostly just removing what wont be needed). So far this is what i've got -

IMBust1.png

IMBust2.png

IMBust3.png

IMBust4.png

The reason there is no helmet included is because many people already have the helmet file or have even made one. It didn't need any mesh editing like the other files, its perfect just the way it is (thank you very much dungbeetle!) Also, it would be easier to scale separately.

I am in the process of unfolding right now, and will finish that up within the next day or two.

Being rather new to 3d modeling i don't really know how to do much, although i got pretty good at removing mesh tonight. The one thing this bust will need is a bottom to connect the back to the chest like the real bust. Right now the model is "hollow" as seen here.

Bust5.png

It wouldn't be very hard to fabricate a piece like that after the whole thing is pepped, but it would be much nicer if it were there to begin with. If anyone can give me some hints or is even willing to take on the rest of the task (i am sure it would be fairly simple for an experienced modeler), let me know.

Dancin_fool, If you don't want me to release your edited files for this then by all means i won't. I'll wait till i get your approval before anyone touches the files. I'll PM you.

Let me know what your opinions of this are, I think it will be pretty awesome. Scaling will be a little tricky so it might take a few peps to get a good size figured out.

I'll post pictures of progress as i go. Thanks for your time!

- Ian

Glad to hear it buddy!! I'd love to do a war machine one too! Speaking of which, how is yours coming along?

no progress at all, because of my OR Nurse training course... i'll be heading the OR unit in the Hospital from where i'm working right now..... and kinda prioritizing some small commisioned projects such as Katana,samurai sword,etc.... got to earn extras for a living..... :p

Well it certainly sounds like you have your hands full! Yeah making a living and supporting your family are much more important that War Machine, haha. Good luck buddy!

thanks....

so when are you going to release the file...hehe ....

(when i'm on the OR room, i was imagining if we could put this helmet.or any parts into a human body and made androids,lol.... just kidding.... )

keep us posted mate.... :D

When i get permission from Dancin_fool to distribute his modified files, and when i can make a bottom to the piece. THEN I'll unfold it and post it :)

Looking pretty sharp Dub. :) I'll build one for sure. ;) I can contact Randy if you'd like his laptop power adapter gave it up last week so I don't think he's online right now.

About filling the hollow cavity: did you consider just straight-up expanding foam? It'll fill the cavity and can be sculpted to whatever shape you want the base to take.

Hey guys, back online today. My fiancee picked me up a new power adapter so I'm good to go. :D :D

dubean33, feel free to distribute the new files. I think this is a great idea, I never would have thought of doing something like this.

Depending on how sharp your modeling skills are and if you're using 3dsmax, you might want to look at throwing a FFD on the chest and stretching it down a bit in the middle. I notice on the bust that they elongated the top of the torso a bit.

Finhead said:
Looking pretty sharp Dub. :) I'll build one for sure. ;) I can contact Randy if you'd like his laptop power adapter gave it up last week so I don't think he's online right now.

Thanks Finhead :) I would love to see you build one, yours would be amazing with your talent and would look like the real thing.

jlhR2 said:
You should plan on having the ARC Reactor as well. IMHO that is an important part.

I totally agree that its an essential and awesome part. I am still playin with ideas on how far down the chest should go. Right now it stops right above the arc reactor. Maybe ill make multiple versions so that people who want a reactor in there bust will be able to fit one. That'd be pretty cool

~James

mc hammer time said:
About filling the hollow cavity: did you consider just straight-up expanding foam? It'll fill the cavity and can be sculpted to whatever shape you want the base to take.

Actually that was one of my first thoughts. That'd be fine if this was just a one time project and wasn't going to be shared with anyone, but since i have permission to share DF's files, it'd be easier for everyone if there was a bottom part to begin with. Perhaps i'll still use expanding foam but inside the confines of the pep base so that it expands and hardens to exactly the shape i want. good idea :)

Dancin_Fool said:
Hey guys, back online today. My fiancee picked me up a new power adapter so I'm good to go. :D :D

dubean33, feel free to distribute the new files. I think this is a great idea, I never would have thought of doing something like this.

Depending on how sharp your modeling skills are and if you're using 3dsmax, you might want to look at throwing a FFD on the chest and stretching it down a bit in the middle. I notice on the bust that they elongated the top of the torso a bit.

Thanks very much DF. The only reason i thought of it is because i really wanted that Bust but without the 700 dollar price tag. eek! I am indeed using 3dsMax, its a wonderful program that i've been tinkering with for a while but really haven't been able to do much with it yet. I think this is actually a good first project for me as it should be *i hope* relatively simple. Ill watch some video tutorials and stuff on the FFD Modifier and Deformer and see if i can get the hang of it.

Do you guys think a base stand should be included into the whole 3d model or do you think people would rather build their own? Depending on how it goes, i'd love to add one in as an option with a couple of different versions so that people can choose what they like best and still have that uniqueness from other peoples pepped busts. This way you'd be able to mix and match which bust you want(arc reactor section included/not included) with which stand you want. Gives it a little variety and spices it up a bit.

Too ambitious for a first 3d model project? I'm open to all criticisms and comments. Thanks for the interest so far, I really think this will be a fun project for everyone.

- Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Do her up buddy, I have faith. :)

I'd add a stand or two, just put them on there own pages when you unfold If people don't want it, don't print it. :) The one that goes with the Sideshow bust would be cool for sure I love the plate steel look. :)

Finhead said:
Do her up buddy, I have faith. :)

I'd add a stand or two, just put them on there own pages when you unfold If people don't want it, don't print it. :) The one that goes with the Sideshow bust would be cool for sure I love the plate steel look. :)

Yeah i really like that look too. I might base a model off of that stand so that you can have the "Sideshow Bust" look alike, and then a few other "versions" you could have as well.

DF, the FFD looks like a good way for me to start with this. Thanks for the idea buddy. Again i really appreciate you letting me do this for everyones enjoyment

Sorry to double post, but i have an update and need some help. Firstly, the update.

1.png

2.png

3.png

I put a bottom onto the bust in a rather unconventional way. I tried using the FFD method and just couldn't get it to work very well. I am still very new/bad at this. What i am left with is 2 crossing sections that need to be trimmed off and i haven't found a good way to go about this. I did do it but when i tried deleting the extra faces that stuck out it also took faces that i needed. Im not sure how to attach the crossing sections at their intersecting point so that they become one piece making it easy to remove the part i dont need. Here is a pic -

4.png

If anyone wants to give it a shot let me know and i can send you the file, otherwise some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

- Ian

dubean33 said:
I put a bottom onto the bust in a rather unconventional way. I tried using the FFD method and just couldn't get it to work very well. I am still very new/bad at this. What i am left with is 2 crossing sections that need to be trimmed off and i haven't found a good way to go about this. I did do it but when i tried deleting the extra faces that stuck out it also took faces that i needed. Im not sure how to attach the crossing sections at their intersecting point so that they become one piece making it easy to remove the part i dont need. Here is a pic -

If anyone wants to give it a shot let me know and i can send you the file, otherwise some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

- Ian

if you have polygons, or parts of polygons you need to "cut off" what you need to do is insert an edge at the location that you want to make the cut. you can't just cut part of a polygon, you either delete them or live with them. an example would be inserting a diagonal edge into a square and deleting 1/2 to be left with a triangle.

as far as joining your base, it's hard to tell by your picture but there are two ways.

1: you need to match edge for edge and vert for vert from the bottom of the model to the edges of the bottom pieces, if their are 43 edges on the bust, then the base piece needs to have matching 43 edges. Then you can either merge edge to edge, or merge vert to vert, whatever you decide.

2: skip the bottom base part all together and use a tool called "Append to polygon" i won't attempt to explain here, better to just have you look it up.

hope this helps.

I wouldn't mind having a copy of that file when you're done for possible CNC application.

It wouldn't happen any time soon but I'd rather have the file ready before the machine is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back