JudgemetDays Reach ODST (WIP + Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all,

Ive been a lurker for many a year, and decided that I should probably post something about what I am working on. That and I also have a couple questions, or opinions that people might have on a few different things.

Firstly, a little background. I started this project about 5 weeks ago? Something like that. This is my second armour attempt (The first was Jun, which was pretty meeeeh in my opinion) and I have basically followed Andrew DFTs templates. I will probably add my own flair and different attachments to it as i progress but its mostly standard templated armour.

The first question I had was about colours. I want to do quite a dark base grey, with a lighter grey as the secondary colour. I also wanted to do an almost white shade of grey for the main highlights (Based off Rookie from ODST) But apart from the helment, i am unsure where else I would put the white, and what parts of the armour I use the secondary colour on. Hopefully the pictures will help.
20170719_192649.jpg

Second question is more minor, with the helmet, does it look to squashed width ways? Too long in the top? Just looks slightly off to me, was wondering if someone with a more professional eye could shed some light on it. Oh the visor has just been taped in temporarily just to see how it goes

20170705_221213.jpg

Apologies for the dirty mirror, Oops

Heres the rest of the images if you want to see the rest
20170623_200820.jpg 20170623_200824.jpg 20170623_200827.jpg 20170719_192703.jpg 20170719_192708.jpg 20170719_192712.jpg
Cheers lads/lasses

Glad i could be here

Regards
JudgementDay

Last edited:
Dug up an old post of how I got my gray/black that's an approximation of the H3:ODST colour scheme.

Since ODST are (in my mind at least) the night crew without the fancy rainbow coloured Spartan Diapers I went for as muted a finish as possible. Also, I'm super lazy and Canadian Tire is on the way home from work so the majority of my paint selection is from their aisles.

Plastidip (3 coats) base for sealing followed by Krylon ColorMaster satin black paint/primer for one or two coats depending on the base colour of the foam to get a good dark base. ColorMaster "Smoke Grey" for one or two light coats and then to add hints of scorching or camouflage stippling I spray Rustoleum dark grey gloss at the same time as the Krylon satin black to mute it and make a fairly cool effect.

Most other details are done in acrylics with the Walmart/Dollar Giant special. Highlights and edges are scratched on with a beat-up old toothbrush and a bit of watered down black is used to add a bit of wash to sections that need extra wear.

View attachment 24606

It's a bit of a process to get it all done but I come from a war-gaming mini background and this is definitely easier and less fiddly.

AndrewDFT's ODST helmet is a little on the boxy and narrow side. Majority of people who have used his template have the same results. Some people have altered the template so that it has a rounder silhouette and looks closer to the source materials.

AndrewDFT's ODST helmet is a little on the boxy and narrow side. Majority of people who have used his template have the same results. Some people have altered the template so that it has a rounder silhouette and looks closer to the source materials.

Do you think there is much i can do now that I have already made the helmet? I was thinking of heating up the foam and putting something inside the helmet width ways across the base to give it a more wider look.

Is there anything you would suggest to do about the boxyness?

JD

Heating the foam and inserting a larger object wouldn't help. It would make the helmet look like it's growing tumors.
You would basically have to rebuild you helmet and alter the templates to where you can have it have curve instead of an angle where the parts come together.
IMAG0589.jpg
IMAG0590.jpg
This is a simple helmet I build a year ago when I first started foamsmithing. These pics are just to show you what I'm trying to get at.

Heating the foam and inserting a larger object wouldn't help. It would make the helmet look like it's growing tumors.
You would basically have to rebuild you helmet and alter the templates to where you can have it have curve instead of an angle where the parts come together.
This is a simple helmet I build a year ago when I first started foamsmithing. These pics are just to show you what I'm trying to get at.

That makes sense, thats a good visual aid. Bit disappointed that I will have to redo the helmet, but since it has come to that I might try a few different methods on my current helmet before I create a new one. Just to see what can work.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate the input

JD

So a small update i suppose, just testing the waters with some paint styles, forgive me for the horrible line details, I think i had a seizure? Will have to fix that next time, but I believe sure you get the general idea of what I am going for.

Thoughts/critics on the weathering? Thought it wasn't half bad myself for the first attempt to be honest.

Any and all feedback welcome

20170720_203833.jpg 20170720_203843.jpg

Regards
JD

Thoughts/critics on the weathering?
It's a good start, but it seems a bit too uniform to me. Try only adding paint scrapes along parts of the edges, not along their full lengths. Also consider what areas are likely to have more wear than others, then apply it according to that.

For example, see this image of an A-7 Corsair II:
36a103f77482c646a83f6bd436dae4f9--modeling-corsair.jpg

The leading edges are missing chips of paint, due to airborne debris impacts, there's worn paint around the skin panels, missing chips where the crew enters the cockpit, so on. But all the weathering can be broken up into areas and causes. You can also see areas on this where the paint has been touched up, so consider doing patches of 'new' paint as well.

So been a while since I last posted, but just got my hands on some new paint. Now I'm concerned about my weather technique, and would like some pointers.

But mostly wanted opinions on the grey/white weathering vs the metallic silver colour paint.

20170802_074309.jpg So this is the new metallic silver paint that I used for my weathering. I dont know if the camera quite catches it properly but I really like how it looks as a colour, but unsure if my technique is flawed.
20170802_074323.jpg
20170802_074344.jpg This part here is my favourite part because it looks so nice and realistic but im not happy with the rest of the edges

20170802_074408.jpg 20170802_074416.jpg These are the old grey/white weathering edges.

Cheers everyone,

-JD

It looks nice but, be careful about getting carried away. With the way you are doing the weathering now, it's looking like the paint on the shoulder is extremely worn and stripped off.
Typically the goal of weathering is to make the piece look dirty, like it's been exposed to the elements. It also gives it a sense that it's seen some action. The paint along edges is chipped and/or scratched.
If you want a good example, check out CommanderPalmer and her build. It really awe inspiring.

It looks nice but, be careful about getting carried away. With the way you are doing the weathering now, it's looking like the paint on the shoulder is extremely worn and stripped off.
Typically the goal of weathering is to make the piece look dirty, like it's been exposed to the elements. It also gives it a sense that it's seen some action. The paint along edges is chipped and/or scratched.
If you want a good example, check out CommanderPalmer and her build. It really awe inspiring.

Duuuude im currently like 30 pages into CommanderPalmer 's build man, I am so envious of the skill and level of pure epicness that she has portrayed in her build, im still trying to find out where she explains how she does it xD Ill get there sometime soon i think. But yea I think i have nailed the colour, but the technique and figuring out exactly what needs to be weathered and how much. Im struggling with it because I like things being symmetrical and having some order too it and am struggling to give it that "realism" of random/chaotic nature

But thanks for the advice man :)
Appreciate all your input that you have had in my build so far

Sinceriously
- JD

Evening all :D (well its evening here....)

More of a better update tonight woohoo, hope people are enjoying this project as much as I am haha

So after reading through all 41 pages of Commander Palmer's beyond godlike build and am brimming with motivation, I've taken her advice about using thin foam to use for raised parts on the armour to give it more detail.

Ive decided to put the raised foam details over the parts that were scored from Andrew DFT's Template. I think it looks pretty good honestly.
WP_20170802_19_32_07_Pro.jpg
Gave my forearm piece 2 coats of paint, but Im not sure that hand brushing it is the way to go :/ might have to get some spray paint, but hand painting allows me to paint inside :) because its Winter here and rainy outside.
WP_20170802_19_33_18_Pro.jpg WP_20170802_19_33_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170802_19_33_31_Pro.jpg WP_20170802_19_33_39_Pro.jpg

Got some awesome gloves and some sick pouches from the local army surplus store that I am really happy with and excited to implement into my final design :)
WP_20170802_19_31_39_Pro.jpg WP_20170802_19_31_52_Pro.jpg

As always I appreciate questions, critiques and suggestions by everyone and anyone :) quality banter is always welcome, Iron sharpens iron, Wit sharpens wit ;)

Best Regards
- JD

Interesting choice, going with fingerless gloves. I personally went with full finger gloves for my Reach ODST, mainly because I was going for that straight-from-the-screen look, and also because they're more flexible, at least in my opinion, as they don't have that additional edge around your knuckle (I also use them for airsoft, and fingerless gloves are not good if you get shot in the hand).

Other than that, where are you planning on putting the pouches?

Interesting choice, going with fingerless gloves. I personally went with full finger gloves for my Reach ODST, mainly because I was going for that straight-from-the-screen look, and also because they're more flexible, at least in my opinion, as they don't have that additional edge around your knuckle (I also use them for airsoft, and fingerless gloves are not good if you get shot in the hand).

Other than that, where are you planning on putting the pouches?

Well its a Reach ODST based off Andrew DFT's templates, but apart from that, I am kinda choosing different aspects that I like from other ODST variants/concepts. I like the idea of the fingerless gloves from Halo 3: ODST personally so thats why I choose them :)

The pouches I am still not 100% sure where just yet :) haha, I am thinking just below the chest piece to both sides of the ab plate or if I wanted to be military accurate I would put both pouches on the right side :) I have ordered a slightly bigger MOLLE pouch too, and am thinking of putting that on my right thigh for storage, as my left thigh will most likely be for my SMG or Magnum.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks for your thoughts on the gloves :)

-JD

So tonight I was mucking around with my helmet, Im really not happy with it, and am seriously considering buying an already molded one (Still paint it myself and such) but thought I would post my efforts and see what you guys thought. What I did was pretty much removed about 2cm (1cm each side of the main flat piece on the top, for the purpose of pulling the sides around on more of a slope and reducing the boxlike appearance of the whole helmet.

See for yourself the before and after
View attachment 247638
This picture was my original helmet, which looks quite boxy and not that appealing to me at least.

20170803_224755.jpg 20170803_224803.jpg 20170803_224810.jpgWP_20170803_22_58_24_Pro[1].jpg WP_20170803_22_58_28_Pro[1].jpg
These are the after shots, I am not 100% convinced if this is good enough for me yet, In my opinion its a far greater look than the original but I do not believe its quite what I am after.

Thoughts?
Cheers lads
- JD

Last edited:
I built the same helmet for my daughter for her ODSK suit......If I were to do it over, I would have added an additional piece on the bottom to close up the helmet a bit (angle it inward) and give it a bit more coverage around the neck-line. Also add some craft foam for the 2 side rather than leaving it flat and blank, give it those 2 vent-like appearance. It will give it a better look. The more detail you put in to it, the less it looks like a bland watered down version of an ODST. (Sorry Andrew, I love it but like I said, it is very basic and bland....not bad, just bland)
IMG_0385Q.jpg

If you still want to make a foam helmet, try going to the Armoury. There are foam files for a H3 ODST full suit with helmet. This is what I am using for my build.

Thats a good idea man :) appreciate that and will give it a look :) just remembering what you said about probably rebuilding the helmet again so I thought I would see what I could try with this helmet to make it work then once I rebuild it I would know what to change and where to go.
Thanks again :)

I built the same helmet for my daughter for her ODSK suit......If I were to do it over, I would have added an additional piece on the bottom to close up the helmet a bit (angle it inward) and give it a bit more coverage around the neck-line. Also add some craft foam for the 2 side rather than leaving it flat and blank, give it those 2 vent-like appearance. It will give it a better look. The more detail you put in to it, the less it looks like a bland watered down version of an ODST. (Sorry Andrew, I love it but like I said, it is very basic and bland....not bad, just bland) View attachment 248151

That is all good advice there man :) Appreciate the response, Would you recommend anything for the top to make it less flat? I have got myself some craft foam and I have been planning to add some extra foam detailing. I will give it a shot and will get back to you with the results.

Thanks all :)

- JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back