Jun-A266 WIP & Augmented Reality System & AEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. Can't wait to start printing stuff off, :D

And hint taken Blackwell. Lighter colours from now on, what's the point in modelling all the detail if no one can even see it, :p

This is all coming out amazing. I showed my boys your progress and they're all.... oh I want to be Jun lol. Then theyre all wait I want to be noble 6. Then they want a halo 5 armor. Damn kids......So I don't know I'm holding off until they get a better idea of what they want to spend the time on. But anyways keep all the great stuff coming can't wait to see some of this stuff printed.

Free file time!

So I thought it was about time I post the files I've made: Suit.zip
Now then, as for usage of this, to any who download it, they're NOT scaled, you will have to scale before printing, the models are also NOT sliced, so you'll need to slice the models up for your print bed size, if you're in need of software for that, Autodesk netfab basic is both free and has a mesh cutting tool. The only model in that folder I'd advise against using in its current state is the forearm as it was one of my first models and I intend on re modelling it to make it far more game accurate, in addition I'd like to give credit to Ruze who is the original creator of the boot (which I am in the process of re modelling in CAD) and hand plates, I only increased the resolution. :)

Hope y'all enjoy. :D

Awesome thanks these are amazing. Once again another big contribution to this community. I think with all the hi res models everyone's been contributing we're going to be seeing some epic builds.

Hi all, haven't made much progress lately on the CAD work or making the armour, however I have made progress on my augmented reality system, so without further ado I present my augmented reality system 2.0:
Nerd disclaimer, this post will get very nerdy.
So the system is based on a raspberry pi, again like my last project it's coded in python, however I've re made the system since last, last time the system was laggy as python was only using ~25-30 of the CPU, the program has been re-made using a threading system, so one thread pulls in the images from the pi-cam, the other displays the image. This system substantially improved the FPS I get (from ~8-10 to ~20) and this is only on a model 2, on a version 3 I would see another increase in performance. Now as for the GUI creation and how it'll look, the initial plan was to create jpg or png overlays, however this system proved unfeasible after I had to dabble in image blending which drastically decreased frames and tinted the image, so with all that in mind it left me with the draw features in CV2 (the image editing and analysis library I'm using for python), these draw features barely affect the FPS and so seems the most efficient way of creating a GUI, the draw features are very basic and so it'll take a lot of work to make it into a nice looking spartan inspired GUI.
On to the actual features of the AR system, I plan to include a temperature sensor, accelerometer, ultrasonic range finder and maybe a few more features, the plan is to have the sensors being read in by an arduino board (as raspberry pi's only have digital pins) which will be fed into the raspberry pi either by I2C or serial connection.
I'll post some images at a later date as it's dark here now and they'd be low quality.

Hope y'all enjoy the content, I know it's a wall of text and I'll take photo's and edit them in tomorrow, in the mean time, see you all soon :D

Can I like double like things? If I could I would double like a lot.... Great pieces man, can't wait for the whole suit.

One tip I have for you is that a log of people build their parts but don't include all the chests detail. With you 3d modeling this and putting so much time into it, I'd think it would be cool if you also made the neck to cheat seal part and the black arm extension cover pieces that go on the sides of the chest. There are a few ways to do it, like you could go off of the Kat suit bungie made for there deliver hope trailer which had bigger, black arm extension cover things... Whatever they are called. Anyways man, great job, love the progress!

Oh, yes! nerdy stuff! my favorite! you might have to make a tut on how you made this, because, well...who doesn't want an augmented-reality Halo HUD? I mean seriously!
How many super-cool Spartan HUDs could be made?! You need to get your hands on Microsoft HoloLens, you would be unstoppable in the world of Halo HUDs.

But Wow, this will be super cool!

Hi all, haven't made much progress lately on the CAD work or making the armour, however I have made progress on my augmented reality system, so without further ado I present my augmented reality system 2.0:
Nerd disclaimer, this post will get very nerdy.
So the system is based on a raspberry pi, again like my last project it's coded in python, however I've re made the system since last, last time the system was laggy as python was only using ~25-30 of the CPU, the program has been re-made using a threading system, so one thread pulls in the images from the pi-cam, the other displays the image. This system substantially improved the FPS I get (from ~8-10 to ~20) and this is only on a model 2, on a version 3 I would see another increase in performance. Now as for the GUI creation and how it'll look, the initial plan was to create jpg or png overlays, however this system proved unfeasible after I had to dabble in image blending which drastically decreased frames and tinted the image, so with all that in mind it left me with the draw features in CV2 (the image editing and analysis library I'm using for python), these draw features barely affect the FPS and so seems the most efficient way of creating a GUI, the draw features are very basic and so it'll take a lot of work to make it into a nice looking spartan inspired GUI.
On to the actual features of the AR system, I plan to include a temperature sensor, accelerometer, ultrasonic range finder and maybe a few more features, the plan is to have the sensors being read in by an arduino board (as raspberry pi's only have digital pins) which will be fed into the raspberry pi either by I2C or serial connection.
I'll post some images at a later date as it's dark here now and they'd be low quality.

Hope y'all enjoy the content, I know it's a wall of text and I'll take photo's and edit them in tomorrow, in the mean time, see you all soon :D

What is your output for the display going to be?

Thom A293 Thanks man! You're right about the neck seal, that was on my radar (but I'm prone to a bit of procrastination ;) ) . Anyway, the arm extension covers? Mind posting a picture? I'm eager to model in all the detail and make it as accurate as possible so any help is really appreciated!

mblackwell1002 Oh boy, a tutorial, that'll be fun, I can give it a shot but no guarantee it'll work, :D and I wish, but it's still a prototype and when it's released it'll cost way too much for me.

Viridiana Sovari The output is an analogue lcd screen which comes with the Quantum DIY FPV goggles V2, it's being powered off a LiPo battery which is also being linked to a 5v converter to power the raspberry pi.

Yeah I know my explanation was not the best... Ok so here is what I meant:

Over a lot of concept art suits, in game suits, and real life suits, there are a few different ways that the design of the chest to arm seal was done.
The in game suit does something like this:
thing%201_zps6hlo3mkr.jpg

The seal extends out from the chest and wraps around the arm tightly. The shape seams to be ")" with the arm hole cutout about center.

Here are two concept art suits:

thign%203_zpscrtvvxak.jpg

thing%202_zpsgreuqora.jpg

The top one extends straight inward and has added detail in it, so pretty much like "I". The second one doesn't seam to have one, or it is a very pulled in and dark design, so I am guessing the shape is "(".

And lastly the Bungie outsourced Deliver Hope Kat suit (one of the best suits I have seen):
thign%204_zpszepec3mu.jpg

This one has the arm seal extended up and around slightly while the forward and backward movement of the arm is increased by the seal being brought in a bit more. All total it is kinda a "/" shape with the bottom being brought back out slightly.

This is what I meant and I didn't really know what to call it:D.

Actually this one made me start thinking about making my own suit.
Brings back the memories.....and all those years later im still without one:lol:
The costume was made by legacy effects and worn by the model jordan konkel.
600x600.jpg
halo-girl-kat-jordan.jpg

They re-used it later in the fall of reach mini series as kellys armor.
The black undersuit extension pieces are looking like soft parts here - i think it was a rubber mold from the 3d printed prototype.
Keep in mind that you wanna be able to move your arms so dont model it to tight;)

Ah, and thanks for posting the files(y)

Even though the Kat suit is not 100% accurate, Baaaa it is such a great looking suit. I didn't know that it was reused for the other suit, I just thought they made another one. My guess then is that was probably the same with Thoms suit in the trailer, reusing it with a new coat of paint.

First off, sorry for the absence guys, I got really ill but I should be back now :D
Thom A293 thanks for those photo's! I'm not sure which one I'll model in yet, but it'll probably be the one that allows the most movement without sacrificing too much of the aesthetic of the suit.
ReClaimer8015 Thanks for the photo's they'll be really useful for reference, as for the arm seals (for want of a better description). That's an interesting method, unfortunately I don't have the facilities to cast anything here so I'll have to either 3D print the seal or make it out of foam.

As for updates, unfortunately none, as I briefly mentioned at the start of the post I've been ill since last Saturday so I've been confined to bed since then so no progress sadly. Anyway, as for plans now, onto modelling the thighs! Then I'll come back to the torso and add the shoulder seals and the bit around the neck.

See y'all soon, :)

Update time!
Thigh's are done, while looking at reference photo's I realised that there was surprisingly little detail on the thighs and in fact that it's covered by the existing pepakura files, so I set to work increasing the resolution (the original pep model I worked on was made by Spacemeat). So without further ado here's some photo's of the finished thigh model.
Front.PNG

Back.PNG

Inner.PNG

detail.PNG

The old hyperlink is dead as I've uploaded a new folder, I'll change the organisation at some point so I can just re-upload individual files instead of the entire thing every time.

New link for download; Suit_V1.2.zip

Hope y'all enjoy, :D

Last edited:
mblackwell1002 kaween Peaked your interest has it? Guess I'd better make a proper post on it then. :D
So first off, better start with the power source!
battery.JPG

This is a 3 cell 11.1v 5000mAh LiPo battery, this should be able to power the screen and Pi for several hours no sweat. Some of you may be thinking at this point that 11.1v is enough to blow the little raspberry pi's brain out, and to that I say you are right! So I introduce this:
converter.JPG

The splitter and 5v converter! The block on the left lowers the voltage going to the Pi to 5v allowing the Pi to be safely powered through the GPIO board. The other connector goes to the screen which has inbuilt voltage regulators, so no problem there.
Time for the Pi itself in it's stylish green case.
pi.JPG

This is a raspberry pi 2 model b connected to a near infrared camera. It's powered through the GPIO board (which is unfortunately just obscured by the camera ribbon in this photo). Now then, you may at this point notice that there's no HDMI lead in there! How is it connected to the screen? Well instead of the conventional digital connection I'm having to run on analogue (the screen is analogue so I don't have a choice), this means I have to bring the signal out the audio jack, weird right... anyway, that's what the thing held together with tape is doing, it's splitting out the video signals for the screen, and on the topic of the screen here it is:
screen_scale.JPG

It's not a massive screen but it does the job and has a decent resolution (I would like higher but my current budget doesn't allow for anything better), next is the current result of all this:
screen.JPG

This is currently just a prototype, the reticle in the middle of the screen will ideally be connected to an ultrasonic range finder, the information in the top left and right speaks for itself and the bottom right is the beginnings of a compass, and the red lines across the screen are just an experiment. When being actually used it'll be launched through an autorun and will be full screen (hence the scaling looking off on the smaller display). I'll happily answer any questions. Hope y'all enjoy :D
(here's some photo's of the code for the mega nerds):
code_1.JPG

code_2.JPG

Congratulations if you made it this far :p Here's a render I just did of the finished boot model:
Boot v25.png

Last edited:
Nemesis if you have an iPhone or get a chance to look up the app Theodolite that is the kind of overlay I plan on building when I get around to doing AR

If you don't want or need a HUD system, you can always just get a laser-cut visor. Might save some room in the helmet or make stuff easier.

Attachments

• Warchief Visor.jpeg
    Warchief Visor.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 300
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back