Kelly-087 Foam Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, remember this is a build thread, not a discussion thread. We're here to encourage our new found member, not talk about FUD.

In any case, this is promising work. Keep it up, girl.

Sewing isn't too bad, really. If I learned anyone can. It's just a puzzle that you wear. :)

Best of luck.

I like that analogy :D Thanks.

Thank you very much!

Chest plate is looking great.

Thank you!

Hey :)
uhhh i love kelly from the forward unto down series... i also love the books ;)

Well as people mentioned i see another liltyrant comming... elite going to be for sure :p

Keep up the great progress and the clean edges !

spes 256 ( ye the disco spartan ^^)

Thanks! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if my edges aren't clean, I'll never be happy with it.

The post about long neck Kelly had me rollin.....because it is EXACTLY what I was thinking hahaha. I think the perspective of the photo tricks the eye.....I'm sure normally Kelly's neck looks decently normal.

But on to the actual build......defnitely subscribed. Looks like its gong to be an epic build. Great progress thus far.

Thanks!
Here is the IMDB picture of the acress, Jenna Berman...

@Brynna: You're doing an incredible job with this so far. I'm always amazed to see quality foam work. And you're right to point out that it looks like a "wonky ODST plate" since it is, in fact, an upside-down ODST center stomach plate. If you notice, Fred was also wearing an ODST piece for his stomach plate, an ODST butt plate.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I wonder why they choose to repurpose some pieces like that. I mean, they look cool, but the functionality is kind of questionable. Haha

looking dope! im excited to see how your helmet ends up when you start to make it.

Me too! I'm both nervous and excited for the helmet. It'll be a challenge.

Guys, remember this is a build thread, not a discussion thread. We're here to encourage our new found member, not talk about FUD.

In any case, this is promising work. Keep it up, girl.

Thank you! I’ve been creeping through your Reach build. Very awesome. I hope mine turns out nearly as well.

Update:

I took everybody’s advice and decided to give an undersuit a shot.

I decided to start with the pants because I’ve made pants before. To me, they’re not as overwhelming as a shirt. Also, I'm using pretty much exclusively stretchy fabric because it’s much more forgiving.

I found this great reference picture of Kat.

kattbutt.jpg

Then I sketched out some of the designs I'd like. Than I decided to go at it. I started by just making a pair if leggings. I made them with a really high waist because I don't know what I'm doing for the top yet.

Then I made basically second legs that only go from the hip to above the knee.
DSC_0313.jpg

And a closer look at some of the details
DSC_0304.jpg

My plan is to keep working on these and see what I get. :)

Looking great! Good choice of undersuit. I need to make one too. I need to learn to use a sewing machine first though haha. Keep it up!!!

Nice start on the undersuit pants. It's funny 'cause I find the torso to be less scary since I've made so many fencing doublets. Pants, on the hand -- for men anyways -- can be tricky because how things need to fit comfortably, etc. I'm actually just starting pants myself for my undersuit. *fingers crossed*

The high waist is a good idea since it will give you some overlap coverage. A good idea incase you decide to make a two-piece undersuit instead of one-piece jumpsuit. Don't want to move, flash some skin 'cause of not sufficient overlap, and ruin the armor magic. :)

Sorry about the side tracking with the pic comment. I was really just trying to be amusing. On another note, how difficult is it to sew spandex? Do you need a specific type of needle or seam setting or spacing? I know how to work a sewing machine but everything I have ever made on one was off the cuff and by the seat of my pants (no pun intended). I'm thrilled to see so many custom undersuits popping up since I also plan on attempting one. I actually dug out the old sewing machine the other day and blew the dust off it.

Are the second set of legs (the ones that go from the knee to hip) sewn on top of existing legs or are they attached to a pair of "shorts" with a high waist? Sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Sorry about the side tracking with the pic comment. I was really just trying to be amusing. On another note, how difficult is it to sew spandex? Do you need a specific type of needle or seam setting or spacing? I know how to work a sewing machine but everything I have ever made on one was off the cuff and by the seat of my pants (no pun intended). I'm thrilled to see so many custom undersuits popping up since I also plan on attempting one. I actually dug out the old sewing machine the other day and blew the dust off it.

Are the second set of legs (the ones that go from the knee to hip) sewn on top of existing legs or are they attached to a pair of "shorts" with a high waist? Sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Don't need any special thread or needle to sew spandex but you don't want to do a normal straight-line stitch. On your machine you'll want to make it zigzag so your stitches stretch, too. I imagine most sewing machines can do that. Let me know if you have trouble finding the setting. The pain about spandex is also it's biggest perk -- it stretches, it moves. So you gotta be careful when you cut that it's clean and hasn't moved too much so the piece is right.

Looking great! Good choice of undersuit. I need to make one too. I need to learn to use a sewing machine first though haha. Keep it up!!!
Good luck learning! There are a ton of how tos online :) I'm not that great, but I can make a few things. Any anybody can learn!!!
Nice start on the undersuit pants. It's funny 'cause I find the torso to be less scary since I've made so many fencing doublets. Pants, on the hand -- for men anyways -- can be tricky because how things need to fit comfortably, etc. I'm actually just starting pants myself for my undersuit. *fingers crossed*
The high waist is a good idea since it will give you some overlap coverage. A good idea incase you decide to make a two-piece undersuit instead of one-piece jumpsuit. Don't want to move, flash some skin 'cause of not sufficient overlap, and ruin the armor magic. :)
Good luck on your pants!!!
Those reasons were mine for the high waist too! Bare belly kind of ruins the epic warrior sort of look.
Everything is looking really good so far, Brynna. Awesome work. Keep it up.
Thanks! I’ll try.
So worries about the pic comment. I thought it was funny :) As far as how I sew spandex… lots of pinning. Pin everything. Seriously. Other than that I have a hand-me-down sewing machine from my mom that does straight stitches or zig zag stitches in various sizes. I use a jeans needle for everything. It’s really sturdy so it has no troubles going through a billion layers of things(including fingers. I wasn’t kidding about that). I start off by sewing things together with a zigzag stitch. Then I go over the inner part of that stitch with a normal straight stitch (for added stability and it makes it lay smoother). This basically does what a serger does, just not quite as pretty.
The second set of legs was just sewn over the existing legs (but only went from hip to above the knee) but I’ve scrapped that pair of pants. I wasn’t happy with them. Now onto version 2.0!
Don't need any special thread or needle to sew spandex but you don't want to do a normal straight-line stitch. On your machine you'll want to make it zigzag so your stitches stretch, too. I imagine most sewing machines can do that. Let me know if you have trouble finding the setting. The pain about spandex is also it's biggest perk -- it stretches, it moves. So you gotta be careful when you cut that it's clean and hasn't moved too much so the piece is right.
Well said. To prevent anything from sliding where I don’t want it to I pin everything. Every corner, then at least a pin an inch for everything else. I pin on my pattern before cutting, then pin the newly cut piece to whatever it’s being sewn onto before actually sewing.
My favorite fabric for stretchy things is a kint/spandex blend. It’s nice and soft but without that slinky feel of spandex.

Update. Sort of.
Ok boys and girls. I did what I usually do. I wasn’t happy with pants round 1. So I went for pants round 2. This time I decided to be smart and not fully stitch up the legs before adding on the details. I think it worked out waaaaay better. It was much easier and I think it looks much neater as well.

So here's how the front looks so far:

DSC_0269.jpg

And the back:

DSC_0264.jpg

I'm happier with this result than the first. Is it perfect? Nah. Better? Yes. Just look at all that super fancy stitching :) That's like 3 spools of thread worth of zig zags haha.

Pants 2.0 look much better! The first set looked a little like shapes just sewn onto pants. These look like the pieces are designed to work together with a function. Great job! I look forward to seeing what comes next!

I agree with Tavern. . . The second pair definitely look better than the 1.0 version. :p

I hope you realize that once you start to modify things, it NEVER ends. . . . OCD Kicks In!!!! :p Keep up the good work.

Lost track of post after that pic...stay on topic, stay on topic...Did you ever think about using liquid latex or silicone rubber - something along those lines to make the parts for the pants? Nice and stretchy and figure hugging so you don't get any 'sag' also the thickness of the latex looks a lot like Halo armour/undersuits.

You've certainly started with the right part to get a lot of people interested ;)

Nevertheless, it looks very promising! The girls on 405th are really good at this, for some reason...

armor and undersuit looking good. I'm probably going to get my wife to make an undersuit for my mjolnir, once I'm done with my ODST. Looking forward to some more udates.

BY THE BEARD...0_0
look at that...
that chest piece is looking so good. im in awe.
i like that you got the upside down odst chest plate in there instead of the standard piece.
oh and the tights are looking super good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back