kitnip's Halo 4 Master Chief foam build with custom paint scheme and undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for showing your process for the helmet. I was about to start my own but wasn't sure how to approach it with foam.
Really impressive work. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :D

Your build is coming along great! Yay for more Lady Spartans! :D

As for you concerns with the helmet scale, I agree that the proportions should even out more once you get some of the other armor pieces together. You said the helmet fits pretty snug, so if you can't physically make the helmet smaller (but you want it to appear smaller) you may try bulking some of the other pieces up a bit.

You may also check if the motorcycle visor is restricting your helmet shape in any way. My first foam helmet came out a bit bigger than ideal, partially due to the fact that the motorcycle visor was forcing the helmet shape out in some places. When I ditched the motorcycle visor for my second helmet, I was able to make it smaller.

It's coming along great as it is though, so if you're liking it then keep it! :)

Just finished reading through this and i'm pretty sure i shat my pants when i saw the pictures. you ma'am are awesome with foam. i can only hope that my multiplayer spartan iv turns out this good.
Thanks!! Your build is looking really good!! It's definitely gonna be a good one

First off, I don't think the helm is too big. It looks excellent. Once the shoulder guards are in place it will seem more proportional as they are very broad in this version. All in all your progress is phenomenal, I'm total :jellyface: right now haha.

Ps. IMO the chest looked fine either way ;)
Hehe, thanks girl! Yeah, I think the shoulders are the things that are going to put this all into proportion.

Jeez, I cant believe I havent found this thread yet, where has it been?! Your foam work is amazing, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after seeing your pics. In regards to your proportion issues, I tend to agree with Necrogenesis, as you make your shoulders and complete more parts of the armor I think it will make everything will flow together nicely. Either way your work is awe inspiring!
Thank you!! I would of started posting my progress a while ago except 405th was still encountering problems lol. Your compliments mean so much though, it's nice to know I'm headed in the right direction.

the size of your helmet is fine, its the chest that is too small. go watch a couple of the cutscenes and look at how far the chest sticks out in all directions. its actually wuite ridiculous how far they had it come out.
Yeah, it does stick out quite a bit. I'm gonna try working with the shoulders to help things look more proportionate. I don't think I want a super bulky chest anyways, but if I do, it's a fairly easy fix.

The helmet came out great! The chest piece does look a lot better. I think it only looks small if you compare it to the spartans in game. Honestly with real human proportions I don't think you're going to see that bulky chest piece on a female frame unless you purposefully make it REALLY bulky. Ya you could probably make it stick out a little more, but I think it's fine as it is.
Thanks! I'm probably going to leave the chest as it is. I think as a female I don't want to be looking overly bulky anyways. I'll have to see what it looks like all together.

Helmet looks large now, but as others have mentioned, they usually do until you put on the shoulders and forearms. Helps bring everything back into proportion. Looks great so far, really nice foam work you've got there!
Thank you :D

Thanks so much for showing your process for the helmet. I was about to start my own but wasn't sure how to approach it with foam.
Really impressive work. Can't wait to see how this turns out. :D
Thanks, and no problem. Looking at progress pictures is how I learned to make stuff, so I figure it's only fair I show people how I got from point A to point B.

Your build is coming along great! Yay for more Lady Spartans! :D

As for you concerns with the helmet scale, I agree that the proportions should even out more once you get some of the other armor pieces together. You said the helmet fits pretty snug, so if you can't physically make the helmet smaller (but you want it to appear smaller) you may try bulking some of the other pieces up a bit.

You may also check if the motorcycle visor is restricting your helmet shape in any way. My first foam helmet came out a bit bigger than ideal, partially due to the fact that the motorcycle visor was forcing the helmet shape out in some places. When I ditched the motorcycle visor for my second helmet, I was able to make it smaller.

It's coming along great as it is though, so if you're liking it then keep it! :)

Thanks LilTyrant! You were actually my inspiration for this build in the first place so I really can't thank you enough lol. All of the progress you posted helped me in a million ways. But yeah, I did notice the helmet does warp it a bit with the motorcycle visor. I'm gonna have to see what everything looks like together and then see if I want to re-work my helmet. But your compliments really mean SO much, so thank you.

It's... update time!

I spent most of my sunday makin' me some forearms!

I have one bicep done but I held off on the other one because I thought it might of been too small so I just waited to see what it looked like all together.

So, here's the forearms!

Once again, I started with a paper template
Afqc2iGl.jpg

I then put together the base
8Fw7v43.jpg

uNoikupl.jpg

And then I detailed it all up!
UiYi5zXl.jpg

h8k30jQl.jpg

F7OwMRbl.jpg

dGbcE9Vl.jpg
I have a little plastic window there where I'll be adding a couple LEDs

Now, when I put it all on I noticed the bicep shoulder plate thing is for sure too small, so I'm going to rework that next.

But here's what the forearms look like on me!
8j8CvAM.jpg

v9odnwR.jpg

SwDXbmxl.jpg

Gonna get workin' on those shoulders. As always, comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah! That looks fantastic! You have quite a bit of talent madam! Are you going to leave it that color or reprint it when you are finished? Because either one would be awesome!

As always I just can't comprehend how you can do this with foam.
Spectacular work so far.

- Spartan 213
Thank you :) I feel the same way with people who work with fiber glass and bondo lol. Not for me. Foam just makes sense to me. Once you get the base shape, the detailing is mostly easy but it's what really makes the piece come to life.

Woah! That looks fantastic! You have quite a bit of talent madam! Are you going to leave it that color or reprint it when you are finished? Because either one would be awesome!
Thanks! I'm for sure painting it. I'm probably going with a charcoal grey color as the base and some light pink highlights here and there. :)

The forearms came out great! Nice and sleek too.
Thanks, I quite like them! Now to get these biceps finished so it can all come together!

That's some sweet foam work there for sure. I think your helmet proportions look pretty good- once that other shoulder is put into place it'll all come together. Looking forward to more updates on this one.

That looks fantastic! Its funny how a lot of times I can see how peoples armor has taken lots of inspiration from others suits, like how I can offen see CerealKill3r influence and technics used in peoples helmets and such, and I can see so much LilTyrant inspiration in this build. Keep up the good work.

And just FYI, there is foam pepakura templates out there if you don't want to make your own.

There's a wide range between this size and the 1:1 size proportional to her height... Only saying because larger shoulder plates make the silhouette much more badass ;)

I think how each individual sees themselves in the suit they create is as bespoke as each suit being built by people on this forum so it doesn't matter really.

as others have pointed out, the proportions she has gone for will allow her to have much better mobility. I decided to go big on my suit which isn't ideal as it is impossible to sit down or run at any speed. I also have to have help to put it on (taking it off isn't a problem ...much) As vargatom points out, the silhouette does make it seem a lot more badass if the suit is big.

it all depends on what how she sees herself in that suit. that's why I am loving my suit and I enjoy seeing other people work on theirs.

And the hits keep coming!! Your build just keeps getting better and better.
Thanks. I try and learn from my mistakes lol :)

WOW!!!!!! this looks great! cant wait to see it finished!!!!!
ME TOO! Thank you.

That's some sweet foam work there for sure. I think your helmet proportions look pretty good- once that other shoulder is put into place it'll all come together. Looking forward to more updates on this one.
Thank you sir :D

That looks fantastic! Its funny how a lot of times I can see how peoples armor has taken lots of inspiration from others suits, like how I can offen see CerealKill3r influence and technics used in peoples helmets and such, and I can see so much LilTyrant inspiration in this build. Keep up the good work.

And just FYI, there is foam pepakura templates out there if you don't want to make your own.

Thanks! Yeah, I found some foam templates and I've been using them to kinda help me with patterns and things. Super helpful on the more complicated 3D type pieces.

I know it sounds funny, but the shoulder plates should be almost as big as the helmet. Honestly.
I agree. Well when you look at Master Chief his shoulders are as big as his helmet lol. That's why I made em bigger!

This armor is majestic, hats off to you, astonishing how you can work with foam.
Thanks! Majestic... like a unicorn. I like it! :D

-------------------

Just a quick update.

I had a couple hours of spare time before I head out for the weekend so I made another paper template of the shoulders. This time, bigger then the last ones.

UJIYAIll.jpg

I haven't finished detailing them yet but I couldn't resist putting them on lol.

LFKCYxdl.jpg

03nvt4Dl.jpg

I like these A LOT better. I just need to finish up detailing them and hopefully have them done by Monday!

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys, they really mean a lot to me! Now I'm off camping for the long weekend which actually just means I'm gonna be drunk for the next 3 days ;)

Happy Canada Day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wanna say I am very impressed. the fact that you are free drawing is as amazing as your work. I cant wait to see this when it is done and finished. keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back