Legendary Armor Spartan Armor Progress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
sigh......... wish i could make perfecto armors with a push of da button.

this is really cool though, first cnc'ed suit ive seen.

oh and just because i remembered, skullcandy girl, thanks for doing the backyard fx interview all those years ago, hooked me on proping so thanks :)

Those are probably from Transformers the first movie. They might be camaro caps. I can't remember. Been a long time.

You guys are using a foam or rubber type compound in a CNC to make these aren't you? Nice work, I'm hoping to be writing code like that when I finish my Engineering degree.

wow, thats just *falls over dead*

Curious because I was following your work, w/e happened to your guys site? I had it on my favs and now its not working. Or did you guys get a new site???

Love the work so far though, that AR...dear lord I want one for xmas lol :)

Whoa! That's absolutely stunning. Every 405th members dream would be to have a CNC machine :p

Also, I was wondering what kind of foam are you using? And how much does it set you back?

Been a few days since I looked through here. I remember that AR, still a stunning piece of work everytime I see it!! Great work on everything thus far. And a nice big kudos to Skullcandy Girl for her great CQC helmet model!!

-Matt

Our website address has changed to legendaryarmor.net
We shut the dot com down a couple years ago but it's not available anymore unless we want to pay a premium.
The foam is a product called Renshape. It comes in different densitites. This particular foam costs about $1100.00 per board. 4'x8'x4" thick. It machines quickly and sands easily.

So this morning I just happened to buy the Grenadier helmet, play a round with it, screenshot it from all angles, rotate crop and upload the pics. Just in case you can't find anything kicking around SKG...

Grenadier Helmet Photobucket Album

And very cool vids Bishop, thanks for sharing!

I've used master cam. I just didn't think you could do this with it.
That renshape foam is pretty expensive.

Once you've made the two halves, do you hollow them out to make them into helms? Or are they just bust-type props?

Yeah, Ruze you're AWESOME, thank you :) I'm using the concept art and well it's great though the light coming off the in game models helps me with angles more, thanks <3!!!

I've used master cam. I just didn't think you could do this with it.
That renshape foam is pretty expensive.

Once you've made the two halves, do you hollow them out to make them into helms? Or are they just bust-type props?

This type of machining is called surface or 3D machining. Not your typical select a chain to pocket and set depth of cut , stepover, etc.

In this case, solid masters are being machined to make molds and then, I do believe, be rotocasted; or even fiberglassed. This will make them hollow in effect. The interior surface detail suffers, but who is going to look at that! Also this allows the wall thickness to be much less then if it were a machined feature. In the foam it would have to be at least 3/8" thick to not break under the machine g operations.

The original test pulls of the LA:Spartan helms where rotocast in a hard plastic.

That is correct. These will probably be both rotocast and fiberglass in the end. Generally, we even fiberglass the rotocast parts to add support to the plastic.

I tried to edit my post above with no effect. #113. It got cut off due to a bad character I think. this is how it should read.

It's Renshape 5020 or 5025. There are different densities. As bishop said, those boards can run between $850-$1200 depending on the market.

As far as writing the code for it, I couldn't imagine actually writing it manually. Just not possible. We use a program called RhinoCAM to generate the toolpathing. There are other programs out there as well from the ever-popular Mastercam to more affordable like deskproto.

A one click solution would be nice, but the biggest challenges when setting up a CNC milling file are the fixtures, tools and finish. For example, the helmet needed over 4" to fit half of it. Depending on the length of the tool being used we only have about 5-6" of vertical travel. And that is with a 6" x 1/2" ball endmill. But a 1/2"ball leaves a 1/4" radius over all the details and just skips anything less than 1/2". So lets use a 1/4"Ball, now this endmill is only 3" long and the part is over 4", so how do we get to the features we want without crashing the spindle into everything? This is where fixture comes in. How do you hold the part in place? In this case Bishop machined down to the subplate and removed the excess foam for collision. So as long as there are no steep walls over 2.5" he will be fine. Things get even more tricky when you are going to do a two-sided part.

I did not path this, Bishop has pathed all the new parts and has done a good job at it.

If you didn't guess it, I work with Bishop and am one of the 2 halo fan modelers that he had mentioned. I was on these boards in the past as xes or xesxes. not sure.

-also I have been after him to mold that rifle for some time now. It was sad to see it sitting on a shelf collecting dust for so long... Glad to say that it is now dust free, what his plans are at this point I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back