Life-Sized Brute (Jiralhanae) Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's like a shy little kids wrapping arms around its mother's leg when being introduced to somebody new. So cute.........It is great that he stopped by.....So I'm assuming now that there will be some type of head harness to articulate the head a bit.......what about vision? I can barely see Jeremie's head through the top.

I was wondering the same thing. How will one see through the costume?
Poke some eyeholes through the chest?

I have seen Adam Savage use cameras on the outside of the costume and then have a phone or tablet on the inside as a way to see.

Yeah, we'll likely have some sort of helmet with a PVC attachment for the Brute's head to stand on as our prototype attachment.

As for vision, we're gunna be adding windows to the chest piece in front of Jeremie's face.

We wanted to wait to add them until we had built the metal collar around the base of the neck so we could find the smartest place to put these holes.

We have the collar made (I don't have pictures of it finished atm) so we figured out where our windows are gunna be.

wwBxzoR.jpg

iXHvzaM.jpg

qy5oFdW.jpg

As for cameras. Cameras are a very iffy case. Especially for costumers who aren't standing flat on their feet and are in stilts.

We'll likely have a camera involved, but it will only be to help with peripheral vision, not main vision.

We did a test for the Hunter a while back with an action cam and we were just standing in the living room out of costume with a blanket over our heads. We could hardly stand straight because the latency of the camera and the lack of depth perception was so bad.

We're confident that with the combination of the windows, the peripheral camera, and all our handlers will make sure the Brute is aware of what's around him.

Cool.....seeing the progress you have made already, I can't wait to see what you guys have planed.

We actually already have a plan to add a mesh so the windows aren't easily seen by the public. :)
The penny-pincher part of me is thinking a few layers of bog standard screen would probably work as well as high-density stuff. But it looks like your budget is considerably higher than mine is wont.

I'm really interested in seeing how the foam looks when it moves around, the skinning is pretty cool!

The penny-pincher part of me is thinking a few layers of bog standard screen would probably work as well as high-density stuff. But it looks like your budget is considerably higher than mine is wont.

I'm really interested in seeing how the foam looks when it moves around, the skinning is pretty cool!

We're definitely not a high-budget project. :p We're trying to find the cheapest materials we can use but still look adequate.

Mad skills, can't wait to see how this evolves to the finished project.(y)

Thank you!

The base for the hands sculpt has been made.

fLmZ8NP.jpg

DNwcWak.jpg

y7FmI1c.jpg

e5EjXq0.jpg

ZIL163u.jpg

The collar is built and painted.

tZG5VI6.jpg

t2GQ75J.jpg

I also made the helmet from scratch!

83cBrrK.jpg

cQyMJ0V.jpg

mH9hylb.jpg

We made the metal shoulder cap

VQoEUxe.jpg

EZbs8w7.jpg

And let the mold making process of the head begin!

MdDNtBJ.jpg

I really like how the first layer really accented the grooves and details in the skin.

J3kTytj.jpg

Layer #3

tgePRvX.jpg

Layer #4 with StarWars registration keys. :)

CX2T04J.jpg

8c2YPJa.jpg

bI1CTFV.jpg

biSaD3M.jpg

4JKObwM.jpg

Time to crack this puppy open!

kEGSkTN.jpg

Jacket mold half.

RROKKtK.jpg

BLARGH!

hxWRRjn.jpg

SPOHRVa.jpg

RU2EunE.jpg

I did some experimenting with latex and cotton balls to make texture on the skin. I think it turned out pretty well!

2Bg57JA.jpg

And we tested out some paint too!

1Pj5L1m.jpg

NG49nV0.jpg

z71VOoU.jpg

hDvlNJY.jpg

I'm kinda curious to how you plan to articulate the hands, as there are a few ways to make a hand mechanism. Not sure which you're familiar with, but I hope you find these a little useful.

One of them is like these toys, which rely on the elasticity of the material to bend the fingers. It is the most popular type from what I've seen.
P9270027.jpg

Then this monstrosity which is a daisy chain of levers to move the fingers
71kPkjxNRfL._SL1200_.jpg

(a simple 1-knucked version is "c")
364e6fd9866aede0dc8df03b12462dbc.jpg

I'm kinda curious to how you plan to articulate the hands, as there are a few ways to make a hand mechanism. Not sure which you're familiar with, but I hope you find these a little useful.

One of them is like these toys, which rely on the elasticity of the material to bend the fingers. It is the most popular type from what I've seen.
View attachment 248637

Then this monstrosity which is a daisy chain of levers to move the fingers
View attachment 248638

(a simple 1-knucked version is "c")
View attachment 248640

To get it done in time for PAX, we won't have any articulation. We'll have twisted wires running through the fingers so we can pose them, but nothing moving.

When we have more time to do it, and more time to learn, we'll figure out how to articulate them. Same goes for the face. We're in too much of a rush to articulate right now, but we will in the near future.

These are cool references, though, thank you for sharing! :D

My videos on my YouTube channel are behind, but here is a Test Fit video we did of the Brute yesterday.

EDIT:

Annnnnnnnd because I stupidly decided to consume an energy drink at 10pm, I've caught up on my vlog updates!

Last edited:
My videos on my YouTube channel are behind, but here is a Test Fit video we did of the Brute yesterday.

EDIT:

Annnnnnnnd because I stupidly decided to consume an energy drink at 10pm, I've caught up on my vlog updates!

Awesome! One thing though; you guys need to dirty up and straighten those hairs. It looks much too curly, especially the head. Makes him look like a she-brute. :D

Anyway, it looks super cool. I would love to see that at PAX, but unfortunately I won't make it.

Awesome! One thing though; you guys need to dirty up and straighten those hairs. It looks much too curly, especially the head. Makes him look like a she-brute. :D

Anyway, it looks super cool. I would love to see that at PAX, but unfortunately I won't make it.

Oh, I know. The Brute has progress, but it's still not complete. :p

The hair extensions I bought were wavy and I straighten them after I get them glued onto the body. But don't worry! He'll look less Jesus-y soon!

Wow. That looks pretty awesome. Aside from the back mounted shot, What weapons are you considering for him to hold (if any)? The suit looks pretty heavy as it is, it would look the mutts carrying something epic like a gravity hammer, but not sure the wearer would be able to move the arms.

Apologies if this is in one of the vids and I missed it.

Last edited:
This looks amazing!! Its so cool to see costumes like this! You should make some Banished Armor for him later on.

Woooow, just woow its incredible!!!
As many people already said Cant wait to see a finished build!!
Best of luck

Wow. That looks pretty awesome. Aside from the back mounted shot, What weapons are you considering for him to hold (if any)? The suit looks pretty heavy as it is, it would look the mutts carrying something epic like a gravity hammer, but not sure the wearer would be able to move the arms.

Apologies if this is in one of the vids and I missed it.

Thank you everyone for the support!

Joffersmk2 The arms do move, but they aren't strong enough to hold the gravity hammer we currently have. We'll have to make adjustments to it before we can give the Brute large props.

I'm gunna give you guys an update on the head because I finished that last night and I'm super duper proud of it!

We started off with EVA foam, EPS, foam, and a styrofoam mannequin head.

szf2yUn.jpg

We then wrapped the form with duct tape and foil to base the head and start the primary facial features.
kQOiMjl.jpg

YCnPlNc.jpg

Then it was time to put on the clay.

The start.

0jS3oZH.jpg

Base clay down.

181Sdlh.jpg

Details started.

GIZjY0S.jpg

Finished with skin texture.
OTxpIWb.jpg

We molded the puppy using an entire gallon kit of Dragon Skin Med.
JXr3Dh1.jpg

Then we cast it out of Flex Foam it! 14
09yrPg7.jpg

Base layer of skin paint.
uDmkHeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back