Mk 6 suit part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this suit is going to be awesome :)

That Bondo thing is strange though. Did you maybe have an air bubble in there or something? (And what did you say where the heat came from...?)

The Rondo (not Bondo) goes on quite smooth, so no air bubbles. The heat source was a 500 watt work lamp, and that spot was sitting right in front of the lamp.

Also, that reminds me. I've been Rondoing out in the garage with my hot box, and it's been so cold that the Rondo is freezing as I put it on, and then it melts in the hot box. It makes for some interesting flows once it melts and then cures.

No comments? Rather saddening. Granted, the first few pages have been the standard "look what I made out of paper", but now we're getting into the REALLY fun stuff.

With that, the gloves are DONE!!!

DSCF0087.jpg

The right one is a little crooked, but it's not THAT noticeable.

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

LOL! I am at the exact same point of upgrading my costume (having already completed a new helmet and cod-piece)! I even have the same gloves. I think I've scaled mine differently, as the plates fit perfectly over the large block on the back of the hand.

Nice job on the "dimples", mine are a bit rough but I'm hoping that as I apply 'filler-primer' I can smooth up the bottoms. How did you attach the plates, I was going to use hot glue?

Great work overall!

LOL! I am at the exact same point of upgrading my costume (having already completed a new helmet and cod-piece)! I even have the same gloves. I think I've scaled mine differently, as the plates fit perfectly over the large block on the back of the hand.

Nice job on the "dimples", mine are a bit rough but I'm hoping that as I apply 'filler-primer' I can smooth up the bottoms. How did you attach the plates, I was going to use hot glue?

Great work overall!

The gloves have a pretty big pad on the back of the hand (link), and I filled the plate with Smooth Cast 320. Yeah. Those are solid plates. 3/8" of plastic, so the bottom of the plate is level with edges of the plate. I just gooped them up with a TON of hot glue, and then clamped them down in the vice, and waited about 10 minutes. After that, I can't pull them off. I'm afraid I'll rip the glove before the plate will come off.

I filled the dimples with auto paint primer, and then sanded them out. It work pretty well.

Helmet is almost done. It's wearable right now, but I still need to add the fans and the lights.

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

It's a little on the big side, but I'm hoping the rest of the armor will put it into perspective.

ALRIGHT!! Enough is enough!! Where do you'll get those gloves?! If possible, Link me. From what I can see, those are Game-Accurate :L

He did, right here:

Beat me to it. Oh well. I did hide it in a long post.

On that note, the forearms are done!!!

DSCF0149.jpg

Nice picture demonstrating just how freakishly wide these things are...or just how freakishly skinny my arms are. Where's that spinach at?

DSCF0150.jpg

Striking iconic poses are always fun.

DSCF0151.jpg

Master Chief didn't have time to get the rest of his armor on...

DSCF0153.jpg

Nailed that elite prick. Calling my mom "fat".

DSCF0155.jpg

Charlie's Angels? Something like that.

DSCF0156.jpg

Hey! Thanks Spitfire!

You're welcome!

And Hickeydog, great work on your suit. I really enjoyed looking through all the pictures, and it motivates me as I continue working on mine! (Will probably start a build thread soon...)

Also, the Silhouette machine looks SO useful! How well does it work to cut out the edges? Do you have to program it at all or do you just feed in the prints and it cuts everything fine?

You're welcome!

And Hickeydog, great work on your suit. I really enjoyed looking through all the pictures, and it motivates me as I continue working on mine! (Will probably start a build thread soon...)

Also, the Silhouette machine looks SO useful! How well does it work to cut out the edges? Do you have to program it at all or do you just feed in the prints and it cuts everything fine?

It works pretty well, although I think I wore it out. I've been having a problem with it "jumping" as it cuts, and then it cuts everything out wrong, but it's still under warranty, so it's going back for repair replacement. But anyways, it cuts everything out very nicely. Tamasoft (the creators of Pepakura), have a Pepakura Viewer for Craft Robo which works flawlessly with the Silhouette. You just open your scaled pep file, select the page you want to cut out, press "cut" and let it go to town.

Okay. So life decided to take a dump in my lap.....But I got the COD piece DONE!! The shoulders are almost done. Just a little sanding and painting left, and the chest is coming along quite nicely. Deadline for this suit is March 12, and I think I'll have everything done, except for the boots (again...). But I'll be able to get the boots done before summer.

DSCF0252800x600.jpg

DSCF0253800x600.jpg

DSCF0254800x600.jpg

DSCF0255800x600.jpg

DSCF0256800x600.jpg

DSCF0257800x600.jpg

Very nice work! I think the misproportionality may come to serve better in the long run, as you may want to insert foam padding for comforability or fans to reduce heat. Still, fantastic work thus far and I look forward to the progress!

Well, we're coming into the home stretch, here. I got the shoulders done, and I'll be wrapping up on the chest tonight. Still have to figure out how to strap all this stuff on. Also, my dremel decided to bite the dust, and so I'm going to need to replace that ASAP.....

But on that note, SHOULDERS DONE!!!!

DSCF03631280x960800x600.jpg

DSCF03621280x960800x600.jpg

DSCF03581280x960800x600.jpg

DSCF03561280x960800x600.jpg

DSCF03471280x960800x600.jpg

great work :D

Thanks. There's a lot of boo-boo's on the armor, but I discovered that a good "battle damage" paint job covers up the rough areas quite nicely.

On that note, chest is done. Now I just need to figure out how to strap and wear all armor. The thighs are going to be the roughest part, but I'll figure something out.

DSCF0371.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0368-1.jpg

I think you really should use matte paint for those black areas. But other than that: Nice work! I really have to say, those gloves look fantastic!

I think you really should use matte paint for those black areas. But other than that: Nice work! I really have to say, those gloves look fantastic!

You are absolutely correct. My can of black matte clogged, and all I had was gloss. I picked up another can of matte today and will re-do all the black sections tomorrow sometime. I just wanted to see how it would look. That gloss does throw everything off.

You are absolutely correct. My can of black matte clogged, and all I had was gloss. I picked up another can of matte today and will re-do all the black sections tomorrow sometime. I just wanted to see how it would look. That gloss does throw everything off.

Glad you didn't reply with "Nooo! That's my Bling!" :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back