Mk Vi Hd Helm, Pep & Rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokisSword

Hey all,

First of all, hi! I've been watching the 405th for about 6 months on or off thinking various things along the lines of "wow", "damn those guys are good" and "me want one of those!".

I used to do a lot of model making when I was younger and was massively into Warhammer 40k, so spent ages crafting scenery for weekend battles.

I did a lot of stuff with foam board and card stock and polyfilla and plaster (seems like a calling).

However Uni, Work and Wife and Kids put a hold on that for a while, now I'm back.

I've never pepped before however I jumped straight into a HD MK VI, started with flyingsquirrels however it wasn't scaled to my big ol' noggin.

Restarted with another HD helm that looked a tad easier, not sure who's unfold it is.

No plans to do the full armour (for now) - fancy doing Chief, a MK8 Space Marine and Predator helms for my office room.

Anywho - heres what I'm upto:

Concept design for MK VI

helmet-concept.png

Current Progress

helmet-progress.jpg

Looking forward to the bondo stage personally, can't wait to detail!!

Thanks for looking,

LokisSword

(Alex)

LokisSword said:
Hey all,

First of all, hi! I've been watching the 405th for about 6 months on or off thinking various things along the lines of "wow", "damn those guys are good" and "me want one of those!".

I used to do a lot of model making when I was younger and was massively into Warhammer 40k, so spent ages crafting scenery for weekend battles.

I did a lot of stuff with foam board and card stock and polyfilla and plaster (seems like a calling).

However Uni, Work and Wife and Kids put a hold on that for a while, now I'm back.

I've never pepped before however I jumped straight into a HD MK VI, started with flyingsquirrels however it wasn't scaled to my big ol' noggin.

Restarted with another HD helm that looked a tad easier, not sure who's unfold it is.

No plans to do the full armour (for now) - fancy doing Chief, a MK8 Space Marine and Predator helms for my office room.

Anywho - heres what I'm upto:

Concept design for MK VI

helmet-concept.png

Current Progress

helmet-progress.jpg

Looking forward to the bondo stage personally, can't wait to detail!!

Thanks for looking,

LokisSword

(Alex)

wow your amazing at what you do, you should keep on with the good job, nice work

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some very nice pepping skills ya got there. :) I also like your concept idea. Don't think I have ever seen a fully red visor before either. I also like your idea for the stripes along the top of the helmet. Usually the stripe is down the middle. I will be looking forward to seeing the final product. :)

And even though you say you have no plans for the full armor for now, I think once you make that helmet, you will want the full armor to go with it. :phehe

Hey Guys and Gals,

Many thanks for the kind responses - glad you like the concept idea! I've got a number of ideas for concepts bubbling in my head... I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how the hell to cast this thing once I've finished with it and then try a few out :D

Anyhow - Pep work is now complete, minus the visor which I'll add before I begin fibreglassing.

Heres a peak below:

helmet-progress2.jpg

<Extra Noob Mode>

Speaking of which I bought a small tin of resin, hardner and fibreglass tissue from my local carparts / dodgy dealers.

Now the videos I've all seen have people using a liquid hardner for resin and paste for bondo / filler.

Well these guys have given me a paste for the resin - it's not the same brand but they assure me it'll work ><

Any of you guys got any experience of resins with a paste hardner or are they speaking out of their metaphorical behinds?

</Extra Noob Mode>

Heres a pic of what I got:

fibreglassing-kit.jpg

Any advice on the resin would be nice. Still unsure of Fibreglass over Rondo'ing - had a really bad experience with fibreglass as a small kid and even now I know the stuff's in a sealed packet in the utility room I swear I can feel the stuff digging its way into my skin :D

If the weathers good and I get the resin sorted I'll hope to get it hardened over the weekend coming - I'll update you as I go.

Ciao!

Hey all - making some good progress on the helm, although a little more by luck than judgement.

Whatever happens it's a good learning experience which is what we are all here for I guess :)

So I managed to resin the helm ok, the resin I'm using has a paste hardener which gives it a lovely pink / orange tint... /yay

It pooled up in a couple of places and the first batch had too much hardener in and left a few lumps (nothing the dremel couldn't take care of!)

I've also made a first pass on Rondo'ing the inside.. now the body filler I'm using (U-pol Easy Sand - from Halfords) is THICK and the first batch I mixed with too much resin was far too sloppy when rolled in the helm. Second batch I went a little too far the other way >< Oh well.. I'm certain I'll get the next batch JUST right...

All in all though its going well - I had a bit of warp in the top and brim, I've managed to take a bit out through heating it with the hairdryer on max and twisting - the top I'm going to have to fix with magic.. I mean Bondo...

Here's the progress pics:

helm-f-rondo.jpg

helm-s-rondo.jpg

helm-i-rondo.jpg

Hope to get the Rondoing finished off tonight, then onto Bondo at the weekend.

Cheers,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back