Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a bit naughty and not posted anything about the build on here, I did however post a few bits and pieces on facebook and instagram, and you can find me under the same handle on both.I might see about making a retrospective write up however.
Ok just checked out your Facebook and wow! You do some amazing work! And unbelievably fast! Look forward to seeing what else you come up with. Just drop a line or two in here for the few of us Neanderthals that don’t have Facebook next time. If it’s not too much of a hassle especially if it’s halo related!! No more the causal oh FYI I just made this epic suit or this epic suit!!!

Last edited:
Any chances you'd think about providing the more detailed [SPI] files?

Chances are favorable. Below is a link to an OBJ file containing all parts (including a simple body mesh). Your ODST looks good...I look forward to seeing what you're able to accomplish with an SPI build. Good luck and take care.

Onyx SPI-TC 01-01.obj

suit-wip-03-03.01.png

Holy cow Andy! That looks so awesome. I definitely need to add an SPI build to my list. Thanks for sharing buddy!

-Matt

Holy cow Andy! That looks so awesome. I definitely need to add an SPI build to my list. Thanks for sharing buddy!

-Matt

Thanks Matt. Hope your current builds are progressing well.

I'm really liking this armor set. I'm currently doing a foam unfold of your SPI pep files. Would it be alright to upload everything to the 405th library once I finish?

Absolutely it would be alright. I think there are more than a couple people who would appreciate foam templates.

Here are the foam unfolds I did from Satchmo's work. Along with Satchmo's PDOs and OBJ file

They should be up in the armory soon.

Attachments

• Halo onyx SPI-TC Armor FOAM.zip
    370.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Halo onyx SPI-TC Armor OBJ.zip
    590.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Halo onyx SPI-TC Armor PDO.zip
    375.2 KB · Views: 264
ADD UPDATE AND UNFOLD REQUEST...

Halo 2 Anniversary's hoplite helmet has been added below and at the beginning of the thread. If you'd like to provide an unfold for this model, please download the PDO to work on and share back to me via PM or post within this thread. The model is developed from reference imagery captured from the Master Chief Collection. Below is a photo capture of the PDO file and turn table GIF of the model made in Blender.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkPPZafpaLOJgYIp5zlo-L0Abniikg
Halo 2A helmet hoplite (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-12-08.pdo

Hoplite helmet pep window.png

Hoplite-turn-00-0.07.gif

The H2A hoplite forearm has been uploaded to the beginning of the thread and below. If you would like to provide an unfold for this model please download the PDO to work on and share back your work in a PM to me or in a post in this thread. The model is chiral and is intended for the left forearm, so the mirror point function in Pepakura Design will not work when doing an unfold...there is however a mirror inversion function so once the lefthand unfold is done this function will carry over the work onto a righthand unfold.

I've modeled the metal banding with the depth of a single plane. I think it's too thin in the game model to easily make it out of paper but the single plane can be printed out and used as a template to cut it out of some material thicker than paper.

Halo 2A forearm hoplite (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-12-09.pdo

Hoplite forearm pep window.png

Hoplite-forearm-turn-00-0.0.gif

To knee or not to knee, the hoplite knee guard has been uploaded at the beginning of the thread and below. An unfold is needed for this model...is no one interested in unfolding? Oh won't someone think of the children.

The model is in two separate parts. The guard itself and a standoff piece that sits between it and the actual knee. Take care four oh five!

Halo 2A knee hoplite (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-12-10.pdo

Hoplite knee pep window.png

Hoplite-knee-turn-00-0.0.gif

These are pretty cool. I actually had to look it up, I had not seen this variant before. Great work on everything!

ADD UPDATE AND UNFOLD OPPORTUNITY...

The hoplite shin has been uploaded at the beginning of the thread and below. I spent a fair amount of time on this essential armor piece. If you'd like to provide an unfold for this model...well, you're probably aware of the protocol by now.

Halo 2A shin hoplite (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-12-15.pdo

Hoplite shin pep window.png

Hoplite-shin-turn-00-0.0.gif

These are pretty cool. I actually had to look it up, I had not seen this variant before. Great work on everything!

Thanks Matt. I haven't played a ton of H2A (single or multiplayer) but when I was researching the centurion from Halo Legends I stumbled upon the H2A centurion, hoplite, and new mkVI. Since there are no game assets available that I know of for these I thought it'd be a good challenge to make (at least some of) them.

Awesome work Satch! If you are ever interested and have the time. I'd love to see a quick pass of the unique shoulder design that some Spartan III's have.

[image removed]

Thanks Halochief89. I don't think I've seen these concept sketches...do you know where they come from?

Thanks Halochief89. I don't think I've seen these concept sketches...do you know where they come from?

They're both Isaac Hannaford designs. The first is one when he was designing the Spartan Armor for Reach (early on before it was just Mark V)

The 2nd one is from Halo Mythos

Seems the first was a SPI Inspired design. The 2nd one is set in Halo Last Light were Blue Team (Fred and 3 Gamma Spartan IIIs)

I think Isaac went back to the concept and added it to the Mythos piece.

I didn't want to save the hoplite torso until the end since it's probably the most complicated and time-consuming of the set. I made the model with mostly squares and then simplified it (using more triangles) for this pepakura output. I included many but not all of the details so assembling paper for this one together will take some time and effort. Pieces remaining include the following (in order of least to most complexity): hip-guards, foot-plates, biceps, and thigh armor. This guy doesn't care terribly about his hindquarters or unmentionables (he doesn't have a butt-plate or cod-piece). Later four-oh-five.

Halo 2A torso hoplite (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-12-16.pdo

Hoplite torso pep window.png

Hoplite-torso-turn-00-0.0.gif

They're both Isaac Hannaford designs. The first is one when he was designing the Spartan Armor for Reach (early on before it was just Mark V)

The 2nd one is from Halo Mythos

Seems the first was a SPI Inspired design. The 2nd one is set in Halo Last Light were Blue Team (Fred and 3 Gamma Spartan IIIs)

I think Isaac went back to the concept and added it to the Mythos piece.

I am a fan of Hannaford's work. This shoulder looks fairly straight forward, I might look at working something up when I have time. Thanks for the suggestion and the artwork.

Last edited:
Oh wow, that looks really good. I may have to play around with putting this through Wings3D, and smoothing out for 3D print prep.

Man, it's been forever and then some since I dropped by this place.

Incredible to see the quality of the models and unfolds you do is still such high tier. That SPI set is rad.

Nobody got to the x-mas turkey thigh this year...the hoplite thigh armor has been uploaded to the beginning of the thread and below. If you'd like to provide an unfold for this model, please use the PDO file to work on and post your unfold within this thread or in a PM to me. Thanks in advance to any willing member.

Halo 2A thigh hoplite (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-12-26.pdo

Hoplite thigh pep window.png

QqJ1dYL.gif

Oh wow, that looks really good. I may have to play around with putting this through Wings3D, and smoothing out for 3D print prep.

Thanks Matt. Let me know what you come up with if you play around with any of the models.

Man, it's been forever and then some since I dropped by this place.

Incredible to see the quality of the models and unfolds you do is still such high tier. That SPI set is rad.

Thanks so much for the feedback MS7! I appreciate you returning to my thread after having commented earlier around the time of its creation. I hope you're well and finding success in any projects you're working on (whether hobby or life focused).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back