Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNFOLD UPDATE (INFINITE E318 HELMET)...

By way of an anti-pernicious act by PerniciousDuke, an unfold for the Halo Infinite E318 trailer helmet has been uploaded below and at the beginning of the thread. I wonder if John will finish the current predicament in which he finds himself.

Halo infinite helmet E318 (Satchmo III, PerniciousDuke) 2019-02-15.pdo

View attachment 266395

May a presume hng is like a drooling noise? If so, this is one of the best compliments I've received.

Are you talking an unfold of the H2A ODST helmet? That'll never happen. The H2A marine helmet would be cool though.
The full armor set :)

WIP UPDATE (HIGHER DEF SPI HELMET)...

I started making a higher definition SPI helmet. I'm still in the process of tweaking some things but wanted to share a progress photo.

suit-wip-04-00.png

Great Work as always! Earlier in this thread you mentioned the SPI helmet is based on art by Tekka-Croe at deviantart, it seems a little different from
Isaac Hannafords Cover for the "Ghost of Onyx" novel. On which the Helmet seems very round/ smooth? Where it looks to be wrapped around the visor seemlessly.
Instead, your design reminds me a little of Elite Rangers in Halo Reach. Always makes my day to see such high quality modeling on the forum.

I absolutely love this Andy! As ReClaimer8015 mentioned, the Onyx cover seems to paint the picture of a seamless visor, which I honestly wasn't a fan of, but to each their own. With this, there is clear definition, and makes sense both functionally and aesthetically. Awesome work as always buddy!

ADD UPDATE (SPI HELMET GOODNESS)...

A few SPI helmets have been uploaded to the beginning of the thread and in this post below. The things are a 3D printable SPI-TC helmet and some helmets for book-worms too. I'd like to thank again Isaac Hannaford and Tekka-Croe for sharing their stellar art.

Halo onyx helmet SPI-TC for 3DP (Satchmo III) 2019-04-09.stl
Halo onyx helmet SPI-IH (Satchmo III) 2019-04-14.pdo
Halo onyx helmet SPI-IH for 3DP (Satchmo III) 2019-04-14.stl

JtM6zvv.gif

SPI-IH helmet pep window.png

Keep building four-oh-five!

Great Work as always! Earlier in this thread you mentioned the SPI helmet is based on art by Tekka-Croe at deviantart, it seems a little different from
Isaac Hannafords Cover for the "Ghost of Onyx" novel. On which the Helmet seems very round/ smooth? Where it looks to be wrapped around the visor seemlessly.
Instead, your design reminds me a little of Elite Rangers in Halo Reach. Always makes my day to see such high quality modeling on the forum.

Thanks ReClaimer8015! The two SPI designs are quite different. I definitely thought of the Reach ranger helmet while I was detailing out the SPI-TC helmet. I'm glad you noticed too!

I absolutely love this Andy! As ReClaimer8015 mentioned, the Onyx cover seems to paint the picture of a seamless visor, which I honestly wasn't a fan of, but to each their own. With this, there is clear definition, and makes sense both functionally and aesthetically. Awesome work as always buddy!

Thanks mkshane81! The SPI-IH has its pluses and minuses, and definitely has a place in the lore and deserves love too.

I love it. That is an awesome helmet. I'll take one.

Thanks Sean Anwalt! If you build it you can take one.

Hey Andy,

Was looking over the HD SPI helmet that you created, and it is awesome. I threw it into Netfabb, and saw that the visor was its own shell. I separated it out and saved it as a separate file. I did not change any scaling. For anyone interested, it can be downloaded here.

I hope you don't mind me helping!

Matt

I appreciate the help mkshane81, though I must confess I already had uploaded a visor only and its inverse at the beginning of the thread (I previously sectioned them out for whereisdanielle). I should have mentioned this and included the associated links in the notification post. As a rule for 3D printing, I consider scaling and sectioning the responsibility of the end user.

Below is a preview of the next item on the docket. I'm retreading previous territory and making new versions of the reach concept helmets #1 through #5. It was relatively early in my modeling odyssey when I made the current versions and although I feel they are recognizable I think I'm now more able to accurately translate IH's sketches and improve model geometry. I don't intend to rework many of the models I've previously produced, but I find the five helmets BA and deserving of TLC.

#1-00.png

Below are IH's concept drawings for all five helmets and their counterparts as currently modeled (I made this picture back in 2012 because I thought it was cool but don't think I ever shared it). The features are there but the baseline shaping just isn't very accurate. It was very much a thing where at the time I was like "this is the best I can do, right now" and I was proud of it. I'm excited to revisit them now bungie seven years later and hopefully do them a bit more justice (and maybe perfect them seven years from now). Take care nobles.

Concept helmet #1-5 models ref.jpg

WIP UPDATE (IH REACH CONCEPTS)...

I wanted to share an update on the concept #1 helmet. I was able to work on it for a while yesterday and after resolving some issues with the perspective view at which I was modeling I'm pretty happy with where it's at right now. I'll simplify the geometry a little bit for the final pepakura version but it's close to being complete.

#1-a00.PNG

I was planning on going sequentially through the helmets #1 through #5 but am thinking I'd like to tackle #4 or #5 next since they're more unique. Does anyone have a preference?

Oh shoot my bad, I didn't even notice that.

Also, I can't wait to see what you churn out for the IH concept helmets!

Matt

Matt, I should have made it more clear what I had done but I do really appreciate the help regardless. I'm really liking revisiting the IH reach concept helmets, I had started to put together builds for a few of them based on my original models and I saw one other person complete the #2 helmet but I'm hoping the new versions will be more attractive to builders...I'd totally love to see them being built.

Last edited:
Ahh Good ol' Satchmo, the man who push me to build better props, I've built most of your concepts and a few of your reach weapons, now i eagerly await more of your files to crank out into the collection, Keep up the good work

WIP UPDATE (IH REACH CONCEPTS)...

I wanted to share an update on the concept #1 helmet. I was able to work on it for a while yesterday and after resolving some issues with the perspective view at which I was modeling I'm pretty happy with where it's at right now. I'll simplify the geometry a little bit for the final pepakura version but it's close to being complete.

View attachment 269269

View attachment 269270

I was planning on going sequentially through the helmets #1 through #5 but am thinking I'd like to tackle #4 or #5 next since they're more unique. Does anyone have a preference?

Matt, I should have made it more clear what I had done but I do really appreciate the help regardless. I'm really liking revisiting the IH reach concept helmets, I had started to put together builds for a few of them based on my original models and I saw one other person complete the #2 helmet but I'm hoping the new versions will be more attractive to builders...I'd totally love to see them being built.

Personally I'd kill a man to see you do #5 next

ADD UPDATE (REACH HELMET CONCEPT #1-V2 PEPAKURA)

I'm referring to the second version of the first Reach concept helmet as #1-V2 (and will use the same naming convention for the remaining concept helmets). The completed concept #1-V2 helmet (for pepakura) has been uploaded below and at the beginning of the thread. Please remember to check scale and modify to suit your needs.

Reach helmet concept #1-V2 (Satchmo III) 2019-04-29.pdo

#1-V2 pep window.png

Messing around...

xQWmJKM.gif

For reference, below is the original version compared with V2. I'm going to maintain both version at the beginning of the thread. Maybe it's for nostalgia but I think there is enough difference that it's warranted (even though they share similar attributes the meshes are quite different).

#1-a04.PNG
#1-a03.PNG

Let me know what you think, four-oh-fivers. Keep building!

Ahh Good ol' Satchmo, the man who push me to build better props, I've built most of your concepts and a few of your reach weapons, now i eagerly await more of your files to crank out into the collection, Keep up the good work

I'm glad I could help, thanks for building! Crank on.

Personally I'd kill a man to see you do #5 next

Sold. Thanks for your input.

I'm almost certain 4 and 5 were both modeled quite a few years ago....

....found them!! Sent you an email buddy.

-Matt

That thing you’re working on looks fairly rad, CaminusPrime! Sincerely, thanks for sharing and I hope you guys like them. I’d consider it an honor if you kept yours as the centerpiece of your kitchen table for 18 months or so.

I’m stoked you were able to print them successfully. Do you think the printing struggles could have been helped by making something different with the model itself? I wouldn’t mind any feedback you might have.

Thanks again and rock on!

That thing you’re working on looks fairly rad, CaminusPrime! Sincerely, thanks for sharing and I hope you guys like them. I’d consider it an honor if you kept yours as the centerpiece of your kitchen table for 18 months or so.

I’m stoked you were able to print them successfully. Do you think the printing struggles could have been helped by making something different with the model itself? I wouldn’t mind any feedback you might have.

Thanks again and rock on!
Glad you like it! well its been sitting there for a couple weeks now and knowing my productivity that'll probably happen XD
I will admit i did have some troubles with it, the visor being the worst part.
- Im not sure why but your split models need to be repaired which destroys them however using the complete helmet and separating them in meshmixer worked a charm.
-The visor doesnt sit properly as a separate piece
-The helmet needs to be thicker too, some areas are super thin and i wasnt able to add registers to help put it together later
-The top piece of the visor also failed a number of times for unknown reasons, it wasnt until i printed it in the least expected angle that i actually was able to print it, the visor also had some splits in the curve on it.

Looking forward to having them done soon!

ADD UPDATE (REACH HELMET CONCEPT #5-V2 PEPAKURA)

The beak on this bucket is something else. V2 of concept helmet #5 has been uploaded below and at the beginning of the thread. The PDO file contains a very simple texture image in lieu of solid colors which, just like the solid colors, can be turned off prior to print so you don't print color. Texturing is something new I wanted to try out and I may get more fancy with somewhere down the line (good? bad? any opinions?).

Reach helmet concept #5-V2 (Satchmo III) 2019-05-05.pdo

#5-V2 joins the fray (no motion this time)...

Below is a rendering comparing V1 (at the left) with the new V2. For the #1-V2 I made last week I had modified my original mesh, I started to do the same for #5-V2 but abandoned doing so early and instead made a completely new mesh. I think this limited previous influence and allowed for a clearer workflow and result. What do you think? Who will be the first to build this unique bucket? I'm thinking I'll tackle #4 next unless you, the reader, have a strong opinion otherwise. Until next time, take care nobles.

POST RESPONSES...

I'm almost certain 4 and 5 were both modeled quite a few years ago....

....found them!! Sent you an email buddy.

-Matt

I appreciate greatly harnor's earlier work, and he gave me some good encouragement more than a few years ago, but I'd like to develop my own work (or redevelop it, I suppose). Thanks for keeping a eye out for me just the same.

Glad you like it! well its been sitting there for a couple weeks now and knowing my productivity that'll probably happen XD
I will admit i did have some troubles with it, the visor being the worst part.
- Im not sure why but your split models need to be repaired which destroys them however using the complete helmet and separating them in meshmixer worked a charm.
-The visor doesnt sit properly as a separate piece
-The helmet needs to be thicker too, some areas are super thin and i wasnt able to add registers to help put it together later
-The top piece of the visor also failed a number of times for unknown reasons, it wasnt until i printed it in the least expected angle that i actually was able to print it, the visor also had some splits in the curve on it.

Looking forward to having them done soon!

Thanks so much for the notes, they are very helpful to me and I'm doubly glad you were able to print them given the troubles. I'm not sure why the split models needed repairing (I'll investigate) but I understand why the visor of the un-split model wouldn't seat correctly (it was made before the split ones and before I cleaned up the edges). I ran into some issues with easily creating thickness for this model but thought I had solved it, but I'll keep my eyes on this in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished piece(s), so don't put the build off for too terribly long (please).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back