Mortal Kombat 9 Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some work and got the scorpion gauntlet in pep. Having trouble unfolding it though so not sure if I'll be able to use the pep.

Here it is:

scorpiongauntlet.jpg

Looks complicated! Nice modeling skills, but yea, good luck pepping that. What about doing a flatter tube and adding those ridges on with foam afterwards?

Looks complicated! Nice modeling skills, but yea, good luck pepping that. What about doing a flatter tube and adding those ridges on with foam afterwards?

I was thinking of doing it in foam at first but still not sure yet. On the plus side, I did some more work on the gauntlet and have it where I feel more comfortable pepping it. It's still going to be a complicated pep and the fact that I'm going to have to make 2 of them isn't assuring either but here's what I've got. I got it unfolded and it's going to be 11 sheets of cardstock. That's kinda scary for me since all the masks have been right about 5 after resizing them...

th_ScorpionGauntletRevised.jpg

Here's a ref pic:
th_gauntletdetail1.jpg

Well, got a little bit done today. I gave the shoulder pads a resin coat and sprayed them with some expanding foam to fill in the hollow parts.
th_random332.jpg

After that I made two templates for scorpions swords. I then sprayed them with expanding foam to carve the swords out of. Now I'm just waiting until tomorrow so the foam is fully cured before I start carving/shaping the pads and swords.
th_random327.jpg
th_random328.jpg
th_random329.jpg
th_random330.jpg
th_random331.jpg

I'm unsure if I actually have the talent to carve the swords out so this is going to be a toss up on success. Only way to find out is try I guess..lol. Tomorrow should be an interesting day to say the least. On top of all the carving I'm also going to be pepping the gauntlet!

Getting some work done on the swords. I've got 1 carved out and man is it challenging! I've never tried this method so an honest opinion is appreciated. Just keep in mind the foam is the base of the sword and it is in no way finished yet!

th_random334.jpg
Here's what I started with...

th_random335.jpg
Here's the outcome. When you click the picture, The sword on the top is the foam one I carved and the sword on the bottom is the pepped model.

I'm off to carve out the other one and finished the gauntlet pep. Will update again later on. :)

Well, I got the swords carved out today. Also got the foam carved out in the shoulder pads AND just finished the pep of the gauntlet! Not sure what's in store for tomorrow. I need to get the swords hardened because ever since I carved it, the foam seems to be shrinking..Maybe it's because air is hitting the internals of the foam?

Anyways, here's some pics:

th_random338.jpg
th_random347.jpg
th_random346.jpg
th_random345.jpg
th_random348.jpg

Time to work on new shoulder pads. The other ones got deformed way too much from the foam shrinking and it pulled it in from all sides and warped them horribly... Ugh. :(

Got 1 of the two shoulder pads re-sized correctly and assembled. Tomorrow I'll get the second one done and hopefully have a coat of resin on them. Also working on getting both swords re-made.

No problem here is,
http://www.4shared.com/file/YCpK28i1/cinturon_scorpion.html?
asks you plan to share your files in the future?
for there too this
mascaraescorpion.jpg

Thank you very much! I have that scorpion mask pdo and was actually going to make it but I wasn't too keen on the...mohawk I guess it is.

I haven't even thought about sharing the files I've created but IF I do, I want to wait until I have them all finished and release them as a group.

I really appreciate the pdo!

IF = I will be sharing them ;)

freakin sweet, thxs alot.

You're welcome :)

UPDATE:
I finally got the the time to re-pep the shoulder pads and I'm happier with the turnout this time around. Today I'm going to be Carving some new swords as the expanding foam has been drying for 2 1/2 days now so there shouldn't be any shrinking of the foam this time.. or so I hope.

I'm also going to start applying filler to the masks today as well. A part I've honestly been avoiding because I don't want to lose detail or flat out muck up the masks..lol. Hopefully I'll have some pics at some point today.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment, Even when I have nothing to post up for progress the comments help keep me motivated!

I know how you feel, so try this out:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-To-Finish-Pep-Pieces?highlight=revolutionary
I personally haven't tryed it but looking at the results of the video I think its what your looking for.

I must have missed the video last time. I'm glad you mentioned it though! This looks like a prime way to do these masks. :)

Down...Date?...Sure isn't an UPDATE.. Well, I started carving the foam swords only to find out that the inside had a bunch of oversized air pockets which meant there was nothing to carve where I needed there to be.. SOOO...time to start over with the swords for a 3rd time. I'm done with the expanding foam. It works great but I'm just not having any luck with it for the swords...

Also, I did get the sub-zero mask filled and ready for sanding. Started using my mouse sander and got about 2/3rds done when wouldn't you know...something is messed up with the sander now. Sounds like something on the inside is rubbing plastic somewhere. Now I've got to locate my allen keys to take the bottom plate off and I'm sure you can guess with all the trouble so far that I can't find the darn things...GRRR....I've been pretty much at a stand still for 4 days now because of the foam and now the sander..I just can't get a break!

EDIT: Well, I located the Allen Keys and got the bottom plate of the sander and it's not good...
random349.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back