Mortal Kombat 9 Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey could you send me the files? I'm not gonna pep it I just want it for a reference, I might scrap build one in the near future.

I'm not giving out any files just yet, sorry. I'm waiting until I get all the files completed and pepped before I release so I can release everything in a set.

If you need reference pics I can get you just about any angle you need though so I would be more than happy to help you out in that way for now. Hope you understand. :)

Finally got some supplies today to work on making the swords for a 3rd time...I got the handle and pummel carved out and painted a coat of glue on it. Now just to let the glue dry and sand it down a bit then start the molding process!

Here's a few pics:
th_random370.jpg
th_random369.jpg
th_random368.jpg
th_random367.jpg
th_random364.jpg

Glue drying:
th_random372.jpg

EDIT: Just wanted to share this really quick. I went to the local dollar store to pick up a few household items and while rummaging around for anything I might be able to use on the build I came across those foam swords that they make in the toy isle. It took a mere nanosecond for me to have an epiphany with the beam of light shining down and a choir singing AAAWWWW when I finally realized THIS is just what I needed for the scorpion swords! I bought just one to try it out since they're ALWAYS in stock. Brought it home and this is what I ended up with for a scorpion sword blade:

Before
th_random374.jpg

After
th_random375.jpg

Needless to say, I'm going back tomorrow to get another one! I'm almost embarrassed that I didn't think of this before...

Amazing work. Can't wait to see the final build.

Are you going to harden the foam swords at all? Curious how you approach that.

Bad ass job so far Zom. Bad ass.

Amazing work. Can't wait to see the final build.

Are you going to harden the foam swords at all? Curious how you approach that.

Thank you both :D

As far as the swords go, I've got the wood glue on the carved handle to make a hard "skin". After about 2 layers of the glue dries, I'm going to split the handle in half and mold them to make resin handles. As far as the blades go, The have a small plastic tube about 2/3rds of the way up the blade for support and I'm going to keep them foam so it's a little safer at cons and stuff....Plus my daughter like using the swords..lol.

Got an update from today. I spent the morning applying liquid latex to the sword handle and got a good mold of it made. I just have to wait for some more resin to get here before I can cast it now because my other stuff ran out of shelf life... :(

Here's a few pics:

Latex applied and cured on the handle
th_random379.jpg

And a successful release!
th_random381.jpg
th_random380.jpg

This is looking awesome!

Thank you :) It's hard to stay motivated with lack conversation about it but I'm trying..lol.

Update: Well, Now that I've got the latex mold pulled I find it very hard that it is going to work like I want so I took the liberty of sculpting out another handle this morning. This time, I split the handle pieces with fishing line right down the middle, glue them to some parchment paper with hotglue and then applied the last of my resin for now.

The reason for splitting and re-doing the handle is so that when I get some more supplies ordered I can work with what I know...Silicone Molds and Resin Casting. I like them a LOT better and can't wait to be able to order the needed supplies.

Here are a few pics of the process as of now.

Finished Handle
th_random384.jpg

Split pieces
th_random389.jpg
th_random386.jpg
th_random385.jpg

Being glued down
th_random392.jpg
th_random394.jpg

I tried to apply hotglue to the foam but because it's so fine it wouldn't stick. I then traced the pieces out on the paper and applied the glue to that and then stuck them down, problem solved :)

Here's a quick pic my daughter took while I went to get the glue gun...She made a face!
th_random391.jpg

Here are the pieces with resin on them
th_random396.jpg

If you could see me right now, you would see some guy clapping, good job so far.
Thank you! I'll just imagine the clapping noise since my work doesn't get a lot of attention from people close in my life..lmao!

Definitely should have kept them in face mode.

I was thinking the same thing after I had it done. My daughter was laughing when I re-arranged the parts and saying "You ripped off his nose!"

I've got another small update. My wife told me she admired the masks and work I was doing on them and she would like to go as frost, a female apprentice of sub zero (this was said to me about last week). I scoured the internet for Frost's mask or even a detailed 3d model of it and can't find it anywhere. So then, using my very limited modelling skills I tried to make it in blender to no avail. Then I said screw it and today I made the mouthpiece in the florists foam so that I can make a negative mold and just cast the detail on the front with latex.

Here's a pic of it after about 5 minutes of work. I'm still trying to get it cleaned up a bit but even if I don't succeed I can always clean up the molded piece. :)
th_random397.jpg

I had a request to make a pep mask, They wanted Smokes first mask from MK9. Here's what I've got after a few hours.

th_smokemask1.jpg
th_smokemask1-2.jpg

You can find the DL in my blog :)

Haven't had any progress today other than carving the other foam sword blade.. I have to wait until next week before I can gather some more resin and the molding supplies.

While I've got some down time I decided to release a few pep files. You can check my blog for the downloads. I might release all, I might not..just depends on how I feel at that time. :)

Nice job on the smoke mask! I also can't wait for the scorpion build to continue!

I've got somewhat of an update I guess...I made a low poly frost mask today... Took quite a long time since I'm not very good at modelling, I was just aiming for a base to make the mask my wife wants...What do you think?
th_frostmaskpep.jpg

It looks pretty good, exept that, sorry to say, it looks like the side pieces are going to far out. And I know your not a pro but there is, and very hard to see details on the sides. Just don't let her see this message! What she doesnt know wont hurt her...or you! LOL. Overall its pretty good though, nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back