MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely have a bug to work on the helmet. I reassembled the full circuit earlier today (thank goodness for breadboards) to make sure everything was working. (and it was!)
IMG_20200724_130940.JPG

This made me really want to see how it was going to look inside the helmet

IMG_20200724_133207.JPG
IMG_20200724_133306.JPG

right now the code only has Green, Blue, and off. I was thinking of adding in Red and maybe turning down the brightness a little. (Thoughts?)

The white LEDs and fans are on their own switches and do not need code for them to work.

Next step is to start actually soldering this together and then get it permanently installed!

Helmet Update!

I can proudly say that my helmet is now done!
IMG_20200803_080932.JPG

IMG_20200803_080909.JPGIMG_20200803_080932.JPGIMG_20200803_080945.JPGIMG_20200803_081139.JPGIMG_20200803_081250.JPGIMG_20200803_081304.JPG

Bonus link to Instagram where you can see a video!

Hugh shout out to all those here that have helped me get this far.
RandomRanger MoeSizzlac TurboCharizard ExCeLLuR8 (among others)

The rush that I have from completing this first piece will drive me as I can focus on the rest of the suit.

IMG_20200802_234754.JPG

For the curious - here is what the inside looks like:
IMG_20200803_084140.JPG

(I still need to do a little bit of work to make sure the wires don't move around but all all four LEDs, 2 Fans, 3 On/Off Switches, and the JST connector are fully connected)

Dude.....it looks like it came off of an assembly line!!! Its a work of art!! Well done!! I'll take 2 please......1 XL and 1 LG.

Helmet Update!

I can proudly say that my helmet is now done!
View attachment 294054
View attachment 294056View attachment 294057View attachment 294058View attachment 294059View attachment 294060View attachment 294061

Bonus link to Instagram where you can see a video!

Hugh shout out to all those here that have helped me get this far.
RandomRanger MoeSizzlac TurboCharizard ExCeLLuR8 (among others)

The rush that I have from completing this first piece will drive me as I can focus on the rest of the suit.

View attachment 294055

For the curious - here is what the inside looks like:
View attachment 294062
(I still need to do a little bit of work to make sure the wires don't move around but all all four LEDs, 2 Fans, 3 On/Off Switches, and the JST connector are fully connected)
Looks great dude!! Happy to help out! Also, for wire management, take you hot glue gun and tack the wires down in place to the inside of the helmet. I do this all over my suit, really works well. If you ever need to get the wire out, a little heat like a solder iron tip will free it right up.

Made some progress on the armor tonight. I threw my noise canceling headphones on and spent a fair amount of time wet sanding.
IMG_20200803_214914.JPG

IMG_20200803_222352.JPG

I am also trying to figure out what to do with the shoes. Something looks off with the scaling...
IMG_20200803_214946.JPG

Finally circling back to this now that the Mangler has been completed. It was a good break from the suit and I feel that I was able to learn a bunch from TurboCharizard on how to process 3D prints. I know that I will be able to knock things out faster with the new methods.

The first thing on my list is to figure out what to do about the boots.

IMG_20200803_214946.JPG

I know I need to re-print these parts and scale them up.

I summon ExCeLLuR8 as the master of the H3 Mk VI. Any thoughts on how to scale these parts to make them more accurate? My size 11 shoes look out of place in the current parts. I also wouldn't mind finding a way to incorporate some height adjustment in my shoes. ( I think with my helmet I'll end up being right around 6' tall)

I summon ExCeLLuR8 as the master of the H3 Mk VI. Any thoughts on how to scale these parts to make them more accurate? My size 11 shoes look out of place in the current parts. I also wouldn't mind finding a way to incorporate some height adjustment in my shoes. ( I think with my helmet I'll end up being right around 6' tall)
If you scale to the height of a boot with a thicker sole it'll close in the gap between the toe plate and the heel plates making the width of the connecting gasket more reasonable. If you have a pair of old workboots that are comfortable and you don't mind donating to a costume maybe give them a shot and do some test profile prints to see if you like the scaling?

Finally circling back to this now that the Mangler has been completed. It was a good break from the suit and I feel that I was able to learn a bunch from TurboCharizard on how to process 3D prints. I know that I will be able to knock things out faster with the new methods.

The first thing on my list is to figure out what to do about the boots.

View attachment 294847

I know I need to re-print these parts and scale them up.

Like turbo mentioned. Scaling larger will close the gap between the pieces and make the boot taller. So for reference, my current boots are scaled at 12 inches long. Im 5'11 and my normal shoe size is a 10. However, believe it or not, I consider my current boots a tad to small and I will actually be making new ones that are scaled 13 inches long to make the boot larger and taller, like turbo mentioned. Halo 3 boots are deceivingly large but compared to the full set of armor, they're proportionate. The reason I'm going to be increasing my boot scaling from 12 to 13 inches long is my current boot being scaled at 12 inches long, once I built in the host shoe, my gap between the 2 pieces became a tad to far so my current boots are 13 inches long, even though they are scaled 12. Depending on your body size and how tall you are will determine your proper scale, but I can confidently tell you, you'll want to be at least 12 inches long on the scale if you're slightly smaller frame than me (5'11 190lbs, size 10 shoe). Of youre taller than me, youll want to go up in scale.
Here's a pic for reference to what I mentioned. Oh and a little teaser, phase 3 on the next version on my halo 3 chief will be starting very soon! ;)

Attachments

• IMG-20200515-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20200515-WA0022.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 208
phase 3 on the next version on my halo 3 chief will be starting very soon!

ExCeLLuR8 - Thanks for the guidance! I look forward to more updates on your suit (though it is crazy amazing already)

Edit: I went and measured the shoes and they should come in right around 12"-13"!

Last edited:
After playing around with the scale I re-printed all of the parts for the boots. (Scaled up 115%)

View attachment 295104
I am much happier with this scale!
It's still to small. You need to go larger on it. The boots will look like huge clown shoes by themselves once scaled correctly. But with the full armor set they shrink up quick! The size they are now, they will look very odd once compared to the full armor set. The gap between the 2 boot halves is still way to much, scaling bigger will allow you to close that gap.

It's still to small. You need to go larger on it. The boots will look like huge clown shoes by themselves once scaled correctly. But with the full armor set they shrink up quick! The size they are now, they will look very odd once compared to the full armor set. The gap between the 2 boot halves is still way to much, scaling bigger will allow you to close that gap.

he is 100% right. I think the biggest mistake people make on this armor set it making the boots and shins too small. master chiefs armor is so top heavy that it’s offset by the bulky shoes and shins. It just looks odd without the right proportions. You also might want to look into making a platform for the shoes or getting a new pair all together because in reality the soles of his boots are extremely thick. Without this implemented into the shoe design it can look unatural. Just some things to consider but if you’re happy with the scale then heck, that’s all that maters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back