My Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
P32 said:
So the details were all done with paint? You didn't add any bit of styrene or paper?

Most of it was painted on, but I did use a clay for some detail work on the thighs, chest, and helmet. It was needed in some areas to create depth (the crosses on the shoulder pieces, the center if the upper chest, etc...).

Also, fight, I will have my girlfriend take a look at your post when she returns, as she did the paint and detail work and I did the construction work. She'll be able to fill you in more than I can about the technique used.

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome , i love the paintjob , only hope mine looks half as good as yours when im done .any chance romaniac would do custom painting for a charge ? cause my only skills in painting are spray gunning cars.

4ng31 said:
Most of it was painted on, but I did use a clay for some detail work on the thighs, chest, and helmet. It was needed in some areas to create depth (the crosses on the shoulder pieces, the center if the upper chest, etc...).

Also, fight, I will have my girlfriend take a look at your post when she returns, as she did the paint and detail work and I did the construction work. She'll be able to fill you in more than I can about the technique used.

Thanks I would appreciate that. :D

armygetin said:
awesome , i love the paintjob , only hope mine looks half as good as yours when im done .any chance romaniac would do custom painting for a charge ? cause my only skills in painting are spray gunning cars.

how much are you willing to pay ? :D

thanks you for the paint job and clay details compliments, to all of you. Took some work and patience, but it was not hard

fightstar said:
Painting. The thing that makes this armor POP, if you will, is the paint job. Truely awsome. Looks like the folded edges are painted with a think line of white; the flat sides are brushed with some black and a little battle scaring here in there. Is this correct? I could be mistaken, but that seems like the painting stratagie here. Not that I am belittling the paint job by any stretch of the imagination, but just trying to breack down the thought process.
you are correct with what you said about the paint job

I will post a step by step tutorial here later today or tomorrow since many of you asked about the paint. I hope it will be helpful.

Paint is a nice, forgiving material. If you mess up, as long as the texture you're painting on is still good looking, then you can just repaint over the whole thing, you can also repaint just part of something too. painting doesn't take that much skill (actually it does, but with a project like this, the 3d will help you tell where to do something.) A really nice vid on painting can be found here. Hope this helps!

Video definitely helped. Paint was my biggest worry, because I've never painted something this scale; always little models for back when I had friends who made me paint these little miniatures for them. That was a good video, and now I'm reassured. Thanks!

romaniac said:
thanks you for the paint job and clay details compliments, to all of you. Took some work and patience, but it was not hard
you are correct with what you said about the paint job

I will post a step by step tutorial here later today or tomorrow since many of you asked about the paint. I hope it will be helpful.

Nice to know that my Studio Art Degree wasn't an entire waste of effort. LOL Seriously, I look forward to your tutorial. The Pepakura method seems a more cost effective way of doing an armor costume project for me right now. As if there where not enough Master Chief/Spartans out there I might as well add one more. I'll have to get with who ever is making these Pepakura files and get them to do a Marine or ODST.

Acr1d said:
What'd you use to apply the Bondo?

Just a Bondo brand spreader (like 2-3 bucks at any auto store/walmart). They came in a variety of sizes as well.

4ng31 said:
Just a Bondo brand spreader (like 2-3 bucks at any auto store/walmart). They came in a variety of sizes as well.
For pepakura your suit is truly a work of art.

Thanks again all...really appreciate it, especially seeing as this is the first spartan suit I've built :D

question: what pep files did you use? (or who's) might i ask?
ps... great job...the paint is the best and so it the helm!

JediStumpy said:
question: what pep files did you use? (or who's) might i ask?
ps... great job...the paint is the best and so it the helm!

I just used the pep files from the stickey at the top of this section scaled down 20% (besides the crotch, I used 10% on that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back