1st Build My First Armor Build


Mobius1ac

Member
Good...Ford... How did I ever get by without this saw?
IMG_20200823_184946.jpg
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So the helm is far from perfected, but it's down to the point where I am having trouble finding things to fix on it. I've covered it in a light layer of paint-primer to highlight areas that need work. Does not have to be grey, but a lighter color works best to cover all the streaks and lines from the previous work.
16000319827387412676141761769837.jpg
 

Mobius1ac

Member
16006314067642145490540579847390.jpg

I've started mixing larger batches of Rondo so I can use the excess to start other pieces. This is the first pour into the Grieve.

This piece had some disformities from being on display with the Cuisse (Thigh) sitting on top of it. Despite weighing only a few ounces, it crushed the Grieve pretty well. I used strategicly placed Bondo to reinforce the proper shape.
 

Mobius1ac

Member
Finally got around to finishing out the boot redux. Interestingly, the blue one, despite the gel layer being put on 2 months ago, is still very tacky. The red one is fine, but my hands are blue from sticking to the other one. Not sure what happened with it.
IMG_20201012_155929.jpg

I also separated the top from the bottom and am glad to announce that I have perfectly aligned boot pieces now!
IMG_20201012_164632.jpg

IMG_20201012_173316.jpg
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So I just realized I never mentioned that I bought the visor back in like July.
IMG_20201012_181040.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it when I first got it, but it's a run of the mill metallic-gold motorcycle visor that I got on Amazon for like $35. It has been taped (on both sides) with blue painters tape to prevent chipping of the coloring.

I printed and cut out a visor from the original pep file so I could have somewhere to start cutting it out. I plan to make the rough-cut about an inch larger on all sides and the final will likely be cut flush with the sides, but left intact for the top and bottom
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So I spent some time diving into Armorsmith and arranged the left thigh piece. I printed directly from the Armorsmith pattern generator and it is quite different from the Pep program.
IMG_20201024_155215.jpg

Not sure if I like it just yet, I think I can adjust the line thickness to make them thinner, (Edit: you can!) but that is for later.
Furthermore, the visor was cut to shape and fits rather well.
IMG_20201024_160118.jpg
IMG_20201024_160329.jpg

The only thing I would change is the flanges on the far sides and make them shorter. They stick out a lot out of the sides. Once I get it painted, I will fix the visor in place, so it's not a problem.
 
Last edited:

Mobius1ac

Member
Well, my perfectionism got the best of me again... Here is take three of the forearm "buckle" piece.
IMG_20201027_040651.jpg

I've decided to take a whole new approach to this. I picked up some new casting resin and am actually hardening parts as I go along and gluing them together as a larger assembly. The hope is to get everything into final position, and then make a HD resin cast of the whole part.

As a reminder, this was the last attempt...
IMG_20201027_041128.jpg
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So over the Thanksgiving week, I intended to get the full gel layer done on the thighs. I wound up just sealing them. Today, I got them gelled and ready for rondoing.
IMG_20201202_161303.jpg

Believe it or not, the right one is actually blue... I wanted to just put a drop of the dye in the resin, but then the lid blew out (the cold made the dye really thick) and it dumped half the bottle and all my resin on my workbench .
The boot is STILL not dry from the last time I used only 4 drops of blue dye, even after more than 3 months and being covered in cornstarch. So we will see if this drys at all.
 
Top