My Son's Noble Spartan - NOW COMPLETE - Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANOTHER UPDATE with Pics!!!!

Here's what I managed to get done today /last night.

DSCF7136.jpg
DSCF7138.jpg
DSCF7139.jpg
DSCF7140.jpg
DSCF7137.jpg
DSCF7141.jpg

I think I'm pretty much done with it. I've still yet to make up my mind on whether to put craft foam all over the outside of what I've done. I'm sure that when I plasti dip and paint it, it will wind up covering up some of the imperfections. Anyways. . . . The hip pads are attached with velcro to the cod piece and are removable.

DSCF7150.jpg

This is where they attach to the inside part of the cod.
DSCF7151.jpg

And where the pad has the velcro on it.
DSCF7152.jpg

I opted to use velcro instead of a buckle to open and close it. Seemed like it would work better with the way that I did the hip pads. It velcros on the back left and the way it is, the back of the cod velcros to the hip pad and then the side of the cod overlaps that and velcros down to the back plate of the cod. This is what it looks like open. . .
DSCF7144.jpg
DSCF7142.jpg

Working with the foam was definitely a learning experience. I used the cod that I had already pepped to make patterns for this cod piece. I wound up doing a lot of free hand stuff though and sketched out some patterns for it to add in details that the other cod didn't have. Do y'all think it turned out alright? Maybe later today I can get up the gumption to plasti dip and paint it all up to match the rest of the suit so I can scratch this part completely off the list of things to do.

I most likely would've done all of the foam work to the abs /undersuit area tonight /morning, but I need my son to wear everything to make sure the patterns that I sketch for it will work and fit together the right way so I don't mess anything up more than I already have. And wouldn't you know it. . . He's asleep. :p LOL. I found that I can't use the dummy much for that anymore, because of how much he's grown since we made the dummy. Perhaps I can get that started when he gets home from school tomorrow.

I hope y'all like it and I hope people are still checking in despite the bug going around on the site. I haven't heard whether they've been able to get rid of it completely or not. I'm still getting pop ups from time to time saying it's been blocked and Chrome wants to block the site completely. When I get something new I'll be sure to put something up for y'all. Until then, please keep the comments and suggestions coming and Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Your progress is awesome. I love watching builds in progress. Keep it up!!

Thanks, Jack. I appreciate it.

Small Update

Managed to get the Cod plasti dipped today while I was doing something else to a cheek riser for a rifle. I decided against covering the outside of the cod with craft foam for the time being and will see what it looks like once I have paint on it. Hoping that I'll be able to get the paint done in the next couple of days.

Also, I have all the ab pieces cut out of foam for undersuit detail. I'm going to try to heat form all of that tomorrow morning when I get home and add in some detail lines. I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do to keep it somewhat flexible and so the parts can move independently. If I can get that done, I'll be sure to get some pics put up so you can see what I've put together so maybe I can get some feedback from y'all.

Until next time. . . . . Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

UPDATE

Not sure if this is going to work or not, but here's what I've come up with for the abs section of the suit out of foam.
DSCF7170.jpg
DSCF7171.jpg
DSCF7173.jpg
DSCF7172.jpg
DSCF7176.jpg

In the pics all the pieces (four of them) are just sitting there individually. I haven't put them together on something to make them one piece that will move as different pieces yet. I have some mesh that was cut off of a vest carrier that I was thinking about gluing them down to so there will be some air flow between the pieces, and the large piece on top in the center would be able to slide up and down over the others. The two pieces that are wrapped around the sides that are on top of the hip pads will meet in the back and velcro together like a belt of sorts so that it can be taken off as needed in the event of heat build up or just wanting it off. I don't know if I'm over-thinking this or not, but if anyone has any input, I'd really appreciate it.

Other than those ab pieces, I found a pic the other day of some of the under armor on the legs, and am planning a piece to go on the top front part of the shins out of foam to fill the gap between the top of the shin and the bottom of the knee guard.

I'm going to try to paint the belt later today and try to get it all weathered. Gotta keep busy or I'll wind up falling asleep since I worked last night. But since it's my first day off I need to stay up to adjust my schedule. . . . LOL.

As always, let me know what you think and any suggestions with the foam would be greatly appreciated. I know the malware stuff on the site is keeping some people off the site, and I respect that. So, if I don't hear anything, I'll do what I have planned. Thanks for everyone following along and Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

First off I have to say...AWESOME!!! The craftwork like always is simply great. about mobility have you though about overlaying pieces? Sort of like the Iron Man chest where it's one piece over another. It's just a thought. Let me know if it helps.

Seth

First off I have to say...AWESOME!!! The craftwork like always is simply great. about mobility have you though about overlaying pieces? Sort of like the Iron Man chest where it's one piece over another. It's just a thought. Let me know if it helps.

Seth

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion, Seth. First, I really appreciate the thought of the overlapping parts. I did think of the overlapping part thing, but right now space is tight and I don't have a lot of extra room to work with for the undersuit to add things. I looked at it with the parts overlapped and it takes up more space than I have available behind the cod and lower part of the torso. Guess I should've built an undersuit first. . . . LOL. Thanks a million though.

UPDATE!!!

Sleep deprived and all. . . . I got the Cod painted. I was surprised, but the blue came out spot on with what already was painted. :p

DSCF7178.jpg
DSCF7179.jpg
DSCF7189.jpg
DSCF7190.jpg
DSCF7191.jpg

I think I can finally cross the cod off the list of things to do. On the parts for the undersuit, I decided to hot glue the lower three pieces and I will figure out what to do with the upper piece of the abs once my son gets home from school and I can have him try on everything to see what it looks like and how it will fit. I was thinking of velcroing the top part of the abs to the torso if there is room and that way it would be a little more flexible and maneuverable. If it is too restrictive, I'll scrap it and maybe just sew on some detail to his shirt and stuff it for effects. I guess as they say . . . . we shall see. Maybe I'll be able to be able to get a new overall pic of how things look while we're suiting him up and put one up to show how everything looks to date. If I get the abs and stuff done tonight, I'll update this post to show how it looks. If it's not done tonight, then I'll get something up as soon as I can.

Until next time, Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

Oh my HOLY god !
that undersuit . gooooooood i cant shut my mouth anymore . it felt to the ground . seriously. WELL DONE !

Great paint job! You're right, it does match up with the torso armor very well! I can't wait to see this one finished!

Oh my HOLY god !
that undersuit . gooooooood i cant shut my mouth anymore . it felt to the ground . seriously. WELL DONE !

LOL!!! You're too kind.

seriously... awesome... I'm not sure how you get so much done so quickly!

Thanks, Admiral. I'm not so sure it was done all that quickly though. :p

The undersuit looks amazing. All of it really is very well done and your son is very lucky!

Thank you, Nyxs. I like what you've got done so far on your build also.

Great paint job! You're right, it does match up with the torso armor very well! I can't wait to see this one finished!

Thanks, Carpathiavh.

A little Info Update

OK. . . So right now I'm between a rock and a hard place so-to-speak. My son got home yesterday and we tried on everything with the undersuit. It all fits while standing, but it's snug. . . Here's the rock part. . . When he sits down (which is pretty easy on him now with the foam Cod) his torso comes open on one side on the bottom rung because of the extra underuit pieces being under the front of the torso. NOW! Here's the hard place. . . I'm thinking of cutting the torso rungs off to add about an inch to the pieces under his arms so that the coming apart won't be an issue anymore. The reason for wanting to cut is because of the way his pants and shirt fit underneath. His pants that we got, need to be pulled up above where the cod is, so I can't just add the details by sewing in his undersuit stuff to the shirt he'll be wearing. All he really needs is about an extra inch to the bottom of the torso so it won't be tight with the undersuit details in place and it would all fit perfectly. Apparetly he's grown not only up, but out. LOL!!! It's just a bit frustrating at this point, because the easy route of sewing on the pieces to the shirt with something thinner is out.
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

OK! There . . . Frustration let out. :p I guess I'll get back to work on that and see what happens. My plan is to cut the rungs and use a rondo mix and fiberglass cloth with some clear packing tape on the outside to add the inch that I need on each side. After it hardens up, I should be able to take the tap off and sand as necessary to blend and repaint. Wish me luck. . . . I think I'm going to need it.

Until next time. . . . Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

Too kind ? stop it damn ... You are the one building an armor that wont fit your son anymore in a few years. so who makes the big deal ? damn man i cant stop posting on this thread im just too excited !

I hope i dont annoy u but u are encouraging me really much . :x keep it up

Too kind ? stop it damn ... You are the one building an armor that wont fit your son anymore in a few years. so who makes the big deal ? damn man i cant stop posting on this thread im just too excited !

I hope i dont annoy u but u are encouraging me really much . :x keep it up

LOL!!!! I see your point. The rate my son's growing right now. . . it may not fit him in a few months. . . :p You're not annoying me at all. I appreciate your comments and I'm glad that I've been able to encourage you in your own build. And your build is going quite well.

UPDATE!!!!!!

I wasn't able to make any progress with the torso, because I had some errands to run and ran out of daylight before I could start on it. It will have to wait until Monday. Meanwhile. . . . . back at the ranch. . . . LOL I was able to get this done.

DSCF7195-Copy.jpg
DSCF7207.jpg
DSCF7205-Copy.jpg
DSCF7206.jpg
DSCF7208.jpg

And if you're wondering. . . . in the last pic that IS a crease in the blade. :( I managed to drop it when I had it half way into the sheath and that's what happened. I will most likely try to redo it because of that. Oh well. . . . At least I have an idea of what I'm doing and it won't take me as long as it did tonight if I do build another one. I guess my son can use this knife for stabbing and stunt work. . . . . LOL!!! At least he won't be an unarmed Spartan. :)

I used foam board for it. The blade and center of the handle are one piece. Then, I glued a handle/ hilt piece to the outsides. I don't think it was a bad choice using foam board, but it isn't easy to shape angles on the blade. It might have just been me though, since I never worked with the stuff before.

When I get some more done, I'll be sure to post some pics of the progress. Let me know what you think and until next time. . . . Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

OK!!!!! Got the knife rebuilt. Here's the pics.

DSCF7213.jpg
DSCF7214.jpg
DSCF7216.jpg
DSCF7217.jpg
DSCF7218.jpg
DSCF7219.jpg

And my own little flair to it. . . . LOL
DSCF7220.jpg

And this is what it looks like on the torso.
DSCF7210.jpg
DSCF7211.jpg

I took a little different approach on the handle. The foam board is in the middle and then I used a piece of the foam flooring on each side of it and then wrapped the whole outside in craft foam. I was able to take my hobby knife and a dremel with a sanding drum on it and shape the handle a lot better than the other one that I made earlier. Shaping the edge of the blade was still a pain, but it came out a hundred times better than the first one.

I have to work tonight and then will be off Mon - Wed. Well, I'm off Wednesday, but am I'm going to work to make some extra money. Between Mon - Wed I'm hoping to be able to fix the torso issues so I can use the undersuit pieces that I made. I'll get some pics of that up as soon as I can.

Hope y'all like the combat knife, and as always . . . . all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Let me know what you think. Until next time . . . Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

Beatiful . no wonderful. NO amazing. damn i have no words to express that epicness... in my opinion this should be moved to elite since ur foam skills are amazing . well i would definitly vote for it if i could! keep it up i love the knife too :D

Beatiful . no wonderful. NO amazing. damn i have no words to express that epicness... in my opinion this should be moved to elite since ur foam skills are amazing . well i would definitly vote for it if i could! keep it up i love the knife too :D

I agree with PigBenis, when I read that you'd never played the game, I thought it was that much more impressive that you made such an accurate build.

I agree with PigBenis, when I read that you'd never played the game, I thought it was that much more impressive that you made such an accurate build.

Thanks very much to the both of y'all. I appreciate it a lot for you to say that. :$

Looks like I have a bit to catch up on. The knife looks like it's coming along well, looks really nice.

Thanks a bunch!

____________________________________________--

A BIG OL' UPDATE!!!!!

OK. . . . I really don't know where to start, but the last couple of days I was busy buttoning up the things that I wanted to get accomplished. I was able to add about an inch and a half to the torso by cutting it and I went ahead and added about an inch and a quarter to the thighs. I pray the size I added holds through Halloween and that I don't have to do anything else to make it bigger for him. Here's what I got for those photos, and I would like to apologize in advance. . . . . I was in a hurry and in a groove yesterday so I didn't take step by step photos of what I did. I realized I was about to start painting and then took the pics. LOL!

This is where I cut the torso and thighs to add the room. The torso shot is just one side, but I did the same thing to both side in the same place. Same for the thighs. Just a pic of one, but I did the same to both.
DSCF7223.jpg
DSCF7221.jpg

I cut the places open. After cutting it I measured out the space needed and then put clear packing tape on it and hot glued a popsicle stick to the outside to keep it from moving. It sounds good in theory, right? LOL. . . It didn't work as well as I had thought it would. Anyways, after that I rondo glassed the heck out of it to build it up and strengthen it where I had to cut it. I say rondo glassed, but it is more rondo than fiberglass. I just put a big piece of fiberglass cloth in those areas and covered it all up with the rondo. It came out rock solid. Not as pretty as I would've liked, but that's what paint is for. . . . LOL. And here's the pieces after paint.
DSCF7225.jpg
DSCF7229.jpg
DSCF7227.jpg

The torso still matches up like it did originally, but I'm really getting frustrated with those drawer stops I put in them. Note to self. . . . Use high strength magnets next time. :p

I also got the abs section to fit in where it should. I couldn't figure out a way to make the parts overlap and move freely for more mobility, so I just hot glued the whole thing together and it's like a second belt. The two pieces that are on the bottom wrap around to the back and are secured with some good ol' velcro on a piece of elastic. I was able to glue in a piece of spandex over the ear holes on the inside of the helmet and I even made a quick UGLY looking hood to try it out under the helmet as well.

We did a test fit after I got the ab section done this afternoon. So, here are some shots of what I've got accomplished to date. . . . . Some may be a bit fuzzy. . . . I took some of them without the flash so you could see the lights. And please excuse the vacuum cleaner. . . .and in a couple . . . the cat scratch pad and milk crate full of dog toys. . . . . LOL!

DSCF7238.jpg
DSCF7246.jpg
DSCF7248.jpg
DSCF7242.jpg
DSCF7250.jpg
DSCF7251.jpg

There are a few more photos in the album on photobucket, but they are all pretty much the same. In a couple of the photos the rungs under his arms on the torso were open. I didn't see that until after I was undressing him, but he sat down and they came open. At least they have some give so something doesn't break I guess. Otherwise, they do go together. Just don't stay that way if he moves around a ton. LOL! Now all I have to do is start the boots. I was looking at doing a magnum like I did the second combat knife to see how it would work out. The center would be made of foam board and the outsides of it would be regular foam flooring pieces so I can shape and mold it like I want. Don't know if it is the best idea or not, but at least it's a plan. . . . :cool

As always, I really appreciate everyone following along and keeping me motivated. I hope you like the way that it turned out. I know the rouge bot on the site is keeping a lot of people away, and I've found a bunch of bugs on my laptop, because I've been trying to stay active on here. I've got like four different things running scans on my laptop constantly to stop threats and get rid of things if they slip by right now. LOL. Anyways. . . . . . please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions, comments or criticism, please send it my way so I can improve. Until next time. . . . Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

EDIT

Wanted to mention this above and forgot. The foam that was added in for his shoulders, do not seem to hinder my son's mobility in this area. What I've found restricts his movements in his arms right now is the fact that the biceps and forearms were oversized a little for him to grow into and he can only bend his arm to about a 90 degree angle. Problem is. . . He didn't grow there, he did it in his legs and belly. . . . . LOL. Anyways. . . the ab section doesn't keep him from sitting or being able to bend over for the most part. It's a little restrictive because of the way it is under the torso, but he can still bend over and sit fine. I just thought I'd put that in there in the event that anyone wanted to know in case anyone was thinking of doing something similar in their own builds. For my personal build, I'm looking into casting certain things maybe in urethane for flexibility and extreme mobility, but it also means a lot of heat build up. Not to mention urethane casting can get pricey $$$$$. LOL. However, that is what I plan to start with on my build (the undersuit I mean) so I can size all the parts accordingly. I hope the after thought helps in case y'all had questions.

I don't know about any other 405thers, but I myself give you a loud round of applause (clap-clap-clap)! Your work isn't only amazing, but inspiring. Your son as well as yourself must be proud!

Seth

Man im gone for a little while and you go and post some more awesomeness, thanks a lot :p

lol Your sons armor is rockin and rollin dude. I bet he is super stoked right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back