Need advice for fitting Halo armor on shorter people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaeSpoon

Member DIN
S226
(I hope I am posting in the right thead)

Greetings 405thers!
I am here simply to ask for some advice. I have been starting to work on a Halo MK V cosplay, something I've wanted to do for years- here's the problem: I'm 5'1-5'2. (Female, of course.)

My head is around 22' around and I'm about 115(?)ibs. I am genuinely concerned about how I'm going to make the armor proportional due to human heads all being around the same size regardless of height. I have concerns that the rest of the armor is going to look tiny compared to the helmet, and I'm not sure how to go about that. I plan to try and scale the items proportionally with the for myself In a 3d modeling program, I plan to make the armor bigger than my body then pad it with foam but I'm not sure if that would work out.

Does anyone have any experience with making Halo armor at the short size I'm at without looking like a bobblehead? Would it even be possible to get the armor to look preportal to myself and helmet at my size?

Thank you, I'm stumped on if I should continue on this project or give up because I'm unfathomably short but have always wanted to make Halo armor for myself.

If you are willing to spend money on software then I would recommend Armorsmith, it's a virtual avatar which you can size to your measurements and allows you to import and resize pepakura files onto your virtual self.

There's also the traditional duct tape dummy method.

Welcome to the forum KaeSpoon!
If you use a program like armorsmith you can scale individual pieces separately. Do you have any experience making cosplay outfits/armor?

Welcome to the forum KaeSpoon!
If you use a program like armorsmith you can scale individual pieces separately. Do you have any experience making cosplay outfits/armor?

Thank you!
I do have some experience, but more art related than building related. My problem is not scaling on a 3d program or by refrence, but my size itself. I'm concerned that I am to short/petite body wise- if I make armor to fit my body the head would look to big- I cannot scale down the helmet from 22inches around. I was thinking about making the armor larger and then pad it to fit me- but that only works somewhat until it just looks to big for the body.

I'm concerned that I wont be able to fit an armor size/height to make the rest of the suit look preoirtinal to the helmet and not making myself look like a bobblehead. I REALLY like accurate proportions.

I hope what I said made some sort of sense, I guess Its hard to explain, I just want everything to look proportionate but that might be a problem for my size

Welcome seconded!

I myself am only 4'11, and can further second the suggestion of armorsmith which is what we used before 3D printing my Reach spartan.

We're still fine tuning my proportions on some pieces but really that is mainly for comfort rather than visuals. I don't feel like, nor seem to look like a bobble head at all!

Welcome thirded? I don't think thats a word...

I’m at 5’2, tend to slide between 150 -157 lbs, and made a Reach spartan for myself outta foam. I’ve already gotten a lot of strong advice against my methods so I can’t recommend them 100%. I Haven’t figured out how to scale things so I kinda just eyeball/wing it as I go and edit the templates as needed. It also helps to test fit the parts as I build them and either add or omit pieces as needed while keeping the details that make the armor stand out. While I’m a fool that can’t numbers to scale, I highly recommend learning to scale since you want the armor to fit your body! My armor fits really well but my helmet does fit me a bit big since I bought a resin cast. Even then it’s well padded so it sits at a good height and so far no one has said I look like a bobble head. Also it’s fun to wear by itself :3c

I think that if head looks proportionate to your body without armor, that it should look proportionate with armor... maybe I'm misunderstanding. If you scale the helmet on the program to 22 inches (which may be kinda tricky) then you can scale the rest of the armor to look proportionate with the helmet and see how closely it fits your armorsmith mannequin.

Regardless, my odst armor is looking to be slightly large for my body so I will also be playing with ways to pad it and attach it to compensate.

If you are using Pepakura and going with the cardstock and fiberglass or foam and fiberglass route you can use the point to point measurement feature in pepakura and a body caliper.

Welcome seconded!

I myself am only 4'11, and can further second the suggestion of armorsmith which is what we used before 3D printing my Reach spartan.

We're still fine tuning my proportions on some pieces but really that is mainly for comfort rather than visuals. I don't feel like, nor seem to look like a bobble head at all!

Welcome thirded? I don't think thats a word...

I’m at 5’2, tend to slide between 150 -157 lbs, and made a Reach spartan for myself outta foam. I’ve already gotten a lot of strong advice against my methods so I can’t recommend them 100%. I Haven’t figured out how to scale things so I kinda just eyeball/wing it as I go and edit the templates as needed. It also helps to test fit the parts as I build them and either add or omit pieces as needed while keeping the details that make the armor stand out. While I’m a fool that can’t numbers to scale, I highly recommend learning to scale since you want the armor to fit your body! My armor fits really well but my helmet does fit me a bit big since I bought a resin cast. Even then it’s well padded so it sits at a good height and so far no one has said I look like a bobble head. Also it’s fun to wear by itself :3c
I'm not the only short here! That gives me a motivation boost to keep going. I was afraid that no matter how much work I would put in everything would look weird and crazy. I appreciate the tips for ArmorSmith, I was using blender but I will check and see if that's easier!

By the way Zetta, your armor looks fantastic and you don't look like a bobble head at all!

Kind regards to both of you!

If you are using Pepakura and going with the cardstock and fiberglass or foam and fiberglass route you can use the point to point measurement feature in pepakura and a body caliper.

The 22 scale helmet I am testing was printed on cardstock from Pepakura as a size 22, I am currently putting it together. If it fits and looks nice I will transfer the pattern to Eva, and if not... Well... Here we go again. Let me spend 5 hours taping the pattern up.

The 22 scale helmet I am testing was printed on cardstock from Pepakura as a size 22, I am currently putting it together. If it fits and looks nice I will transfer the pattern to Eva, and if not... Well... Here we go again. Let me spend 5 hours taping the pattern up.
The struggle is real... that is why we are all here... to struggle together! Good luck! You’ve got this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back