Props Needle Rifle WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN 105

A while ago I got the idea in my head to build a Needle Rifle prop. So far I've finished the handgrip portion of the stock. The entire project is going to be built from cardboard with my own templates drawn up from pictures from Bungie and Halopedia. Strategically placed blocks of wood will be added into the build to hold together certain pieces and to give it some weight. I also intend to resin the "cover" pieces (the purple parts) so that the metallic paint will stand out beautifully (or at least in theory). The only thing I still need to figure out is how to make the needles. I remember that someone here made a needler and used quartz crystal or something similar, and someone else used acrylic rods for theirs. I'd probably have to order those rods online since I can't seem to find a store around here that sells them...

Anyway, here are some pics :D:

36487_1367651066831_1098314623_30919079_4749074_n.jpg

The handgrip section of the stock, unpainted.

36487_1367665227185_1098314623_30919088_6475828_n.jpg

The handgrip/stock section fully painted, with silver decorative plating and screws for detail.

30710_1355115953461_1098314623_30888407_5386231_n.jpg

The build so far, before the stock was assembled and painted. The midsection is more detailed now then it is shown here. More to come.

Thanks! Right now I'm kind of stuck with the top segment with the needles coming out. Trying to get it to curve correctly is a pain. My friend recommended using those clear plastic rods that are on blinds to control the angle of the blades as the needles. I've also been working on the scope section, and have been trying to make it so that it flips up to reload the weapon (I'm also thinking about making a "re-loadable" ammo cartridge to go with the feature) like in the game. But this is also proving quite difficult. But I did buy an organic vapor respirator today, so I should start resining soon.

Looks cool man! Good luck!

Are you planning on using Body Filler? It's really the only way to give a nice smooth finish on cardboard. I'd recommend you do it to get that really smooth finish like on all covenant weapons.

I like that you're starting from scratch, it's good to see that! What you've got so far looks great and I like the idea of the flip up scope section and the re-loadable cartridge. Stick with it, I'd love to see more!

Looks cool man! Good luck!

Are you planning on using Body Filler? It's really the only way to give a nice smooth finish on cardboard. I'd recommend you do it to get that really smooth finish like on all covenant weapons.

I was going to use fiberglass resin. I haven't had any experience with body filler. Is it used the same way as the resin would be? If it is better on cardboard than the resin is, I think I'll try it.

Thanks everyone! I'll try to get some more pictures up sometime soon, maybe tomorrow.

I was going to use fiberglass resin. I haven't had any experience with body filler. Is it used the same way as the resin would be? If it is better on cardboard than the resin is, I think I'll try it.

Thanks everyone! I'll try to get some more pictures up sometime soon, maybe tomorrow.

Yes, in my opinion Body Filler is a lot easier, and has better results. Just slap some on and sand it down. Don't get sloppy in those hard to reach areas though. It's a pain in the ass trying to sand down Body Filler stuck in a corner.

I'd imagine! I know my local hardware store supplies it, so the next time I go up there I'll pick some up. I'm also looking to get a job there, so maybe I can get an employee discount if I do. :p

That looks really great, I've never sean someone work with so much details on cardboard.
Please don't stop making updates, and keep on making weapons!

Still no new pics just yet, Ive run into a few design issues, as well as some new ideas. I just got the idea of perhaps covering the build with aluminum flashing (like sheet metal but thinner). At first I thought Id just cover the exposed parts and the barrel, but now Ive decided to try and cover most of the weapon with it, and fill in the gaps with bondo. I've been doing some testing with bits of the flashing with the purple spray paint I got, and after 2 coats and a little sanding, it looks just like a piece of Covenant Alloy! :) Covering the build with flashing will be more difficult, but I've done it before and if all goes well, it will look great (in theory).

Anyway, here is my current plan of attack as far as actually building the rest of the rifle goes. I have made a rough sketch of what I think the rifle's internal components (at least, the parts hidden by the purple covers) looks like, over top of a rendering of the rifle from the Beta.
34033_1380584110149_1098314623_30950720_5452051_n.jpg

So the plan is to build this as one whole piece, then build the scope/magazine chamber, and then finish the cover pieces, get everything bondo-ed/metal-coated and painted, and then assemble. Also, I still need to find something for the needles, so I will be keeping an eye out when I am out shopping for more stuff.

There's always the "cast pink hot glue" method, or maybe resin? Anyways, the basics look great, especially since you're using corrugated cardboard.

I had to pay through the nose for these, but today I bought 3 packs of pink LEDs (2 per pack, so 6 in total) at Radio Shack ($3.49 per pack!! This is why I do not like buying components from Radio Shack. But we were there...) that I plan on using to light up the needles (still working on what exactly those will be. :p). I thought maybe sculpting a crystal out of clay, baking it, and then put it between to large blocks of clay to make a mold and pour plastic into it (although where to get the plastic or how to melt it is as of yet unknown.), or place some long skinny rocks end-to-end in place of a sculpture to get a nice texture in the mold. Here's a pic of the LED. It's very bright, and very pink!
34852_1383584545158_1098314623_30957838_2177084_n.jpg

Any additional suggestions for the needles? I was thinking I could melt down clear plastic soda bottles, but that's kind of tricky (and kind of toxic, I would imagine) and pour that into the mold if I went with that idea.

Food for thought: Try making the needle mold and then pour fiberglass resin into the mold to make the needles. They'd be pretty strong, inflexible, and clearish so you could light them up with you're awesome pink LED's! If you really felt ambitious you could also mold the needles so you have a space at the bottom for the LED to fit in.

Here's a few photos I think you guys might like...

35178_1388238901514_1098314623_30967963_1617738_n.jpg

8 needles down, 4 to go! These needle crystals are cast out of hot glue that was spread over clear plastic pen tubes. They actually turned out very well.

This next image turned out blurry...I guess my camera doesn't like dark photos. Anyway, here are 2 of the needles lit up.
35178_1388238941515_1098314623_30967964_2635546_n.jpg

The body of the rifle is still under construction. I've started covering finished pieces with aluminum flashing, which is really looking great so far. I'l try to get some photos of those pieces soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back