New and could you some HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan 1117

Hey guys,

I just joined yesterday but have been lookin around for a couple months now just trying to soak in some stuff. However I still don't understand it all and could you some help.

I want to make a kick ass Noble Six helmet but am not sure where to get a good quality pep file?

The same for a Halo Reach weapon....the automatic UNSC rifle --I forget what it's called.

Also, I don't have a pep program. What should I use -- it needs to be free please.

Also, what is a sliced pistol? Or sliced anything?

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Hey guys,

Hi!

I just joined yesterday but have been lookin around for a couple months now just trying to soak in some stuff. However I still don't understand it all and could you some help.
Ensure you have watched this orientation vido:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/15735-New-Recruit-Orientation-Video

Read this complete Noob list:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/14613-Complete-Noob-List

Read this on how to use Pepakura to create the paper models:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/1034-Tutorial-How-to-use-Pepakura-to-make-your-Mjolnir-Armor

Read this on some of the forum's best practices:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/27746-ATTENTION-NEW-(and-existing)-MEMBERS!-READ-THIS-NOW-PLEASE!

I want to make a kick ass Noble Six helmet but am not sure where to get a good quality pep file?
Try here:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread

The same for a Halo Reach weapon....the automatic UNSC rifle --I forget what it's called.
Ditto:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread
Also, I don't have a pep program. What should I use -- it needs to be free please.
Google is your friend. Type in "Pepakura program" and follow the first hit.

Also, what is a sliced pistol? Or sliced anything?
A method of building a prop from wood or cardboard in layers. Each layer is slightly different. Together all the layers form the final shape. Each layer is just a "slice" from the whole.
Look forward to hearing from you guys!
We're looking forward to seeing pics of your build.

Thanks guys. I am actually running to get some card stock today. I am going to have to do this quickly cause it is getting well below freezing here in Lansing almost every night.

Hey Titan-1117 Im a complete noob as well but I have some quick tips that will save you a headache. Use 110 Card Stock, and hot glue and glue gun (elmers and stuff is nice but it doesnt set quick enough for my impatience) dont use tape (i didnt take this seriously and ruined a pep piece rofl) Take your time resining the outside but dont go so slow to let it gel on you but if it does dont feel bad about dumping some resin rather than putting globs on your piece. Just take your times with the resin layers. I know these are redundant tips and novice at best but believe me I didnt take em serious and wish I had from the beginning. Anyways good luck to you and I am still learning a bundle as well so see your work soon

There are "inside friendly" materials to use in the place of resin, fibreglass and auto-body filler. Various forms of the Smooth Cast 300 series of liquid plastic products can be used instead of the first two items. It is my understanding that Apoxie Sculpt can be used instead of auto-body filler.

I am in the early stages of building a Mk VI helmet to replace my current Mk V. I've only printed the pep model and have begun scoring the lines. I have ordered Smooth Cast 321 and Apoxie Sculpt from a supplier in Ontario Canada. I will need to complete this project in the house as it gets surprisingly chilly here in Canada also :) . I will be posting pics of the build once I have, you know, built something.

The products I've just mentioned are more expensive than their more toxic relatives, but apparently work just as well (if not better in some ways). Here's an informative vid:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!! Another michigander! lol And since you said you are in the lansing area, you are about 2 hours from me! :p Anyhoo, yeah, michigan REALLY sucks for this armor thing due to the weather, that is why it's good to learn some alternative ways to making armor.

The first option (and a little bit pricey) is the smoothcast route. You get a total of 2 gallons of material, it's non toxic and CAN be done INDOORS!!! However, you are looking to pay around $90, but you SHOULD be able to harden an entire suit with the stuff. :)

The other way, which is what I am now looking into due to the comfort issue, is making it out of foam. You can get a pack of 4 pieces for $10 at Harbor Freight. Not sure if you have one near you, but I googled it and found that I have one about 10 minutes away from me. :D I saw the tutorial threads posted by Ben Streeper and you can see what the stuff looks like. It's not very thin and not too thick to where it will be too hard to cut. They are the foam pieces to use in a work place for more comfort on your feet. With the foam, you don't need any hardening material, but you will still need to print out the pepakura pieces and use them as templates so that you can cut out the foam and piece it together.

Just thought I would throw that stuff out there so that the cold weather doesn't keep you from making armor. :)

Just to clarify these "Smooth-Cast is non-toxic" issues: The end result urethane resin is non-toxic after it cures. One of the two ingredients you mix is *NOT* non-toxic and needs to be used with a respirator and proper ventilation. Methylene bisphenyl isocyanate has extremely dangerous vapors that you do not want to breathe so you need a respirator and ventilation for the application.

A lot of Smooth-On's products are non-toxic before and after mix, however the Smooth-Cast and Foam-It series have toxic pre-mix ingredients.

Hey guys,

I was also wondering if you guys knew of any tutorials for learning how to creat pep creations from scratch cause I would like too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back