New halo: Reach live action trailer- deliver hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's just me but I think the lighting is all wrong on Thom's helmet with these new shots, it looks even more rushed, like they didn't do enough post production to fit in with the original edits aesthetic?
Anyone else?

I also can't agree that it added anything other than more chances to watch elites just fall over...

I think I'm prejudiced against the ability of marines after witnessing such stupid AI in the games :p

AND I'm still stuck trying to fit this in to the timelines, Kurt's training of Spartan III's can't have begun before the Chief gets to the first Halo and both Alpha and Beta got wasted... Interesting to see how the relationship between Jorge and the III's goes though! Also... aren't the ages all a bit out of whack? Spartans graduate at roughly 15 right? Well Kat is 10 years younger than Carter, 19 younger than Jorge... Explain Bungie!

Not the place to ask those questions, J4MES.

And the lighting seems to match, considering we've seen 2 seconds of him aboard the battleship. And the lighting is quite different in the ship than in the battlefield.

I really like how the jetpack shot seems so much less cheesy in this cut. I knew that would happen. Like McDonalds, I am lovin' it.

That extended cut was an improvement in almost every conceivable way from the original release. I enjoyed the original release but I always felt there was something missing from it that kept it from reaching the level of "we are ODST".
That something was put back into the extended cut; pacing, and I now hold it in equal regard.

The original trailer was a rapidfire of quick cuts to the point where you could barely even tell what was happening half the time (I swear they even sped up the footage)...and watching this cut, it must have driven the director and the editor absolutely nuts when they saw the shortened version. They basically tried to turn what was designed to be a relatively slow paced and poignant look at what some of these characters have suffered through into a rapid thrill fest to make it more like "we are ODST", and it shows.

Things have weight in this trailer. Even the somewhat infamous jetpack scene is given more time to let things build in the mood and the score before litterally and figuratively taking off.

In short, I'm more ready for reach than ever. :cool

Not the place to ask those questions, J4MES.

Sorry dude, carrying on a conversation from a few pages back!

I've had to watch the trailer again (and again and again) and I'm still not happy with it! Not that I'm saying it's bad by any stretch, I love it really, just don't know what's been added in the extension?

From a cinematic point of view I guess it makes sense but I'm all hung up on what appears to be hesitation from the Spartan not atmospheric build up... CHUCK THA BOM'

And that lighting will forever grind me. The shot of the interior shows floor lighting behind Thom and the shot from in front shows three light sources emmiting out, not up, so why the massive highlights on the chin?

We Are ODST worked because of it's humanising aspect, we've seen it all before in war films and it followed that tradition and we empathise because we see progression. Bungie have always battled with trying to humanise Spartans but also have commented on wanting players to feel like this other being, super human, so by trying to humanise Spartans it's sort of rewriting that formula. Get it?

IMO.

We Are ODST worked because of it's humanising aspect, we've seen it all before in war films and it followed that tradition and we empathise because we see progression. Bungie have always battled with trying to humanise Spartans but also have commented on wanting players to feel like this other being, super human, so by trying to humanise Spartans it's sort of rewriting that formula. Get it?

IMO.

I completely agree, however I think the entire point of using SPARTAN-III's as the main characters in Reach is the fact that because they were taken from a broader sellection of candidates, they aren't as tight-knit, straight-laced and stoic as the legendary SPARTAN-II's and that allows for more freedom to explore the personalities of these characters. :)

I agree. The extended cut was a notable improvement.

Of course, now whenever I see that Kat suit, all I can think of is dancing spartans.

project_003.gif

they aren't as tight-knit, straight-laced and stoic as the legendary SPARTAN-II's and that allows for more freedom to explore the personalities of these characters. :)

In the Ghosts Of Onyx book Kurt comments on how Spartan III's form tighter bonds because of their respective limitations when compared to II's :p

This could lead to an interesting discussion on the possible role of Halo live actions films though. From the trailer we see they CAN do it! Not sure this is the thread though?

And that lighting will forever grind me. The shot of the interior shows floor lighting behind Thom and the shot from in front shows three light sources emmiting out, not up, so why the massive highlights on the chin?
If it's anything like Truth and Reconciliation, there are lighting sources every which way. Floor lights, ceiling lights, not to mention how reflective the walls are. That lighting doesn't bug me at all, knowing Covenant over-lighting.

OK, so I know there's all this hype over the game and the combat in the trailer but I don't think I saw anyone comment on the music. I love music in fact it will be my profession if all goes well and i get into Westminster Choir College etc. This music gave me the adrenaline rush and actually moved me, so to speak. If anyone else out there enjoyed the music or anything tell me. I love discussing music / sharing etc.

The music was pretty good. I didn't note it because I felt it didn't have to be noted. That it would be good was a given for me, considering the soundtracks behind each of the other Live Action trailers.

I haven't seen anyone post a link to the extended edition so here it is

More length

More combat

More snipes

Less buzz lightyear (or maybe it's the same)

And more epicness

Ho-ly cow

Blam!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back