New Member First Projects Update (3/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me how good you are with the armor. I haven't even thought about trying to make armor, but you make it look easy. I'd say its not. So great job!

Privateer said:
Well I finished the recon helm last night just have to find a permanent vizor for it now this one is just a tester.

PC290093.jpg

PC290095.jpg

PC290096.jpg

Inside I have a mic and external speakers with a amp (the orange golfballs will be painted lol they are my speaker enclosures). Along with the usual cooling fan I have a status light to let me know whats turned on and a mp3 jack on the lower edge of the helm for tunes or sound files through the external speakers.

PC290098.jpg

Cheers!

oh man!! that is the most badass recon i have EVER seen !!!! *bows down to your skill* and you stole my idea for the mic, and external speaker combo !! hahaha even though i'm sure its been done all ready lol i'm LOVING the MP3 jack idea ! i never would have though of that... but its ingenious !

i seriously hope i can make an equally badass suit of recon armour this summer when i will have the time to start working on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Must say, am a fan of the Mounted machine gun and how that is turning out so far. keep up the great work Privateer

As soon as I wake up Im going to start glassing my lower legs and sling some bondo at my last boot half. I took a break for a couple of days to make a downdraft table to help keep the dust and fumes to a minimum. Ill post up some progress pics later today for yall.

The machine gun is a fun project the only problems I have with it is the wieght Im trying to keep it under 10 lbs.
Without the fiberglass body or the battery on the gun it wieghs in at 8 lbs or so. I just dont ant this thing to wiegh 15 to 20 lbs if its going to be hanging off my harness for hours at a time LOL.

finished with my downdraft table with the sewing tut and the table construction I was unable to work on the boots or legs. Now that I think of it it's still early so I might try som resin later.

Heres what it looks like I had to make it smaller that origanally planed because my fan isnt strong enuff for much more.

P1010119.jpg

The underworkings / dryer duct and cardboard lol connected to a vent fan from a industrial control cabnet.

P1010122.jpg

I hope the detail holds up on the bottom of the boot thats my traction and detail all in one lol otherwise the sole plate is ridgid pvc so its slick as heck, if I loose that im gonna be concret skating LOL. Im working on the handplate master tonight so Ill have something to show yall tomorrow I havent decided if Im going to cast or vacuform em yet.

Cheers!

I finally finished carving the master for my handplates I used a block of masonite cut to the outline and built it up with filler. Now all I need to do is make the mould so I can cast a few pcs and pick out the best ones for my suit.

P1030130.jpg

P1030134.jpg

It isnt perfectly symmetrical but close enuff for govement work lol besides Ill be casting them out of a flexable material so small imperfections wont matter much.

it looks amazing so far! keep up the good work.

it seems like you are spending a good deal of time and money on this project. how long did the filler take you to do for the handplates?

Evella said:
it looks amazing so far! keep up the good work.

it seems like you are spending a good deal of time and money on this project. how long did the filler take you to do for the handplates?

Thanks!
Not really much in the way of cost so far maybe $75 but I had alot of the materials on hand.
the handplate took maybe 2 hours start to finish Im wating for the skin coat of my mould to dry at the moment Ill keep the process pics coming.

Update my first cast part came out perfect although I learned not to cut corneres with mold making lol.

step 1 made master
step 2 coated with teflon spray for release agent
step 3 used hot glue on cool setting to make the flexable mould
step 4 destroy master getting the mould off
step 5 pull first part with no problem noticed mould getting warm but pulled resin piece green
step 6 destroy mould and second pull by letting it cure completely (resin gets extremely hot when poured in large amounts and melts the hotglue)
Oh well at least I still have a good part to use as a master when I go and buy the right stuff to make a mould LOL.

The only salvageable part of the day with a little texture spray added.

P10301311.jpg

Well Im waiting for my first handplate to cure in the mould so I hope it works. While I was waiting on that I spent the last 4 hours scaling, re scaling, printing, rescaling, printing, cutting scoring gluing, and then realizing my healthy dislike for pep has blossomed into a full blown hatred for all things made from folded paper LOL. the HD shins I used have been scaled down 30% from original file size and still would fit a 8' Wookie in the immortal words of mr C. Brown AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGG!!

Now the neibors are giving me strange looks and avoiding eye contact just because I was laughing maniacly while I threw the last few hours of pep work on the grill to start the fire for dinner .

What went wrong with the glue mold? When you said you destroyed the master, how was it destroyed? Did it melt, did it fall apart?

Tater Mane said:
What went wrong with the glue mold? When you said you destroyed the master, how was it destroyed? Did it melt, did it fall apart?

For some reason when I pulled the hot glue mould off of it the heat from the glue must have reacted with the body filler the master part was carved from and it pretty much crumbled in all the detail and thin areas.

What did you drive over that helmet with??(looks like a motorcycle track to me...)
Good lookin' helm and those boots rock.

JustMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back