Noble Spartan(mod's/add-on's begin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a better Idea, send that thing to Blackula so he can mold it, then we all can have one ;)
Uh, yeah... that works too! First one to call it gets a freebie. CALLED IT!!! LOL, jk. That would be a great idea though. This rifle is turning out awesomely.:D

Looks great Thorn. Sorry to hear about the extra work needed. But everything is a learning experience in one way or another. Just remember the old military montra... "Fast is slow and slow is fast." (or something along those lines.)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes I just need to slow it down a hair and do it right. :)
Even if you had a little bit of a setback, it still looks like you're making great progress!

I'll definitely be watching to see how it turns out! :D
Thank you LilTyrant.
You just blew my mind! I wish I could see this in person! just wow, great job!
Thank you. I'll be at Youmacon in Detroit MI. In Nov. ;)
Simply amazing work my friend, very gorgeous, i wish i had the ability to make great weapons too.
Thank you kindly, As for making great weapons you can do it. It just takes practice, And time. As you can see even I'm still learning, So all you have to do is try.
WoW that AR looks great =D
Thanks Road Kill.
Amazing job Thorn, now all you need to do is make a second one for me ;)

Make that three thorn. :D

Ok I have a better Idea, send that thing to Blackula so he can mold it, then we all can have one ;)

Uh, yeah... that works too! First one to call it gets a freebie. CALLED IT!!! LOL, jk. That would be a great idea though. This rifle is turning out awesomely.:D
As to Hyper & Vshore We'll cross that bridge as soon as I finish building it :D I do plan on learning this new method of molding, but I was thinking more along the lines of doing one of the Sidearms, you know something small to practice on. I'm really amazed that both of you think its even worthy of a Blackula casting. I'll try not to let you down on the quality of the build. ;)

It will take me a few days to strip it down and clean it up. So I'll post new pics as soon as I have them. :cool

The weapon looks fantastic Thorn!
I completely agree with you on the moulding. I would love to try moulding some of my work when the time comes to pass, however being how expensive the materials are and the amount of labour involved in making a mould and then a respective casting... It makes me reluctant to try and mould a large piece as my first go! But... At the same time, i feel that doing a test run with moulding a "smaller piece" will not yeild the same learning process or the same experience as if moulding a larger piece. But... Being that I have never done a single moulding what so ever as of yet... I could be talking out of my a$§ ! ;P

Ahh That A.R. is amazing! Just a little constructive criticism, But I think the grip is a little too rounded, But other than that this is one of the better foam props i've seen.

The weapon looks fantastic Thorn!
I completely agree with you on the moulding. I would love to try moulding some of my work when the time comes to pass, however being how expensive the materials are and the amount of labour involved in making a mould and then a respective casting... It makes me reluctant to try and mould a large piece as my first go! But... At the same time, i feel that doing a test run with moulding a "smaller piece" will not yeild the same learning process or the same experience as if moulding a larger piece. But... Being that I have never done a single moulding what so ever as of yet... I could be talking out of my a$§ ! ;P
Thank you, kindly.
I have done about 50 molds(give or take a few) in my time....But most of them have bee Ultracal for Latex mask. So doing this in silicone will be different. But should be real easy to do after I get all the supplies. So I just have to see how this all pan's out. It's more of a time and/or space thing for me. remember, I myself only need one rifle, But I'm still thinking about duel sidearms :cool

As for the other aspect. Larger molds mean longer cure times and/or mix things differently. As well as how you go about pouring them, setting them up (key hole and such) So yes, In my experience a larger mold will teach you allot. :)

Ahh That A.R. is amazing! Just a little constructive criticism, But I think the grip is a little too rounded, But other than that this is one of the better foam props i've seen.
Thank you.
To rounded on the front? or back side? I know it will be off a little because I made it to fit me, But Maybe I can get it a little better.:cool And thank you greatly, for taking the time to tell about the grip.

I'm still a little mixed about the fore, bottom handrail, being done in the shotgun style. I't just wasn't working out with doing the Null's in foam I might have to re-visit that part later.

I was was referring to the back grip,
IMG_2917.jpg

that area there.

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 125
I was was referring to the back grip, that area there.

Thank you greatly for the input, it was most helpful :cool

Yes that was rounded off to fit my hand. It will however look a little more blockish after I resin it and add rubber grip to it. I would try to flatten out more than I did, but at this stage it's a little late for that area. I didn't touch the lower groove on the back of the grip do to the fact that I had a hard time getting it to fit my hand comfortably when I set it up.

Weekend 03-12-12
1.) I stripped the AR down.
2.) Sanded/carved out the grooves.
3.) Added some of the detailing.
4.) Sealed all the foam and paper with Poly Acrylic.
5.) Lite sanding to remove brush marks.

It is now ready for a hard coat or resin. I will be giving it 3 coats of resin next weekend and hopefully sand and prep for paint. The prep will include replacing all the screws that were removed for the clean up after last weeks disaster.

Here's the Pic's. Enjoy :D
th_IMG_2927.jpgth_IMG_2925.jpgth_IMG_2926.jpgth_IMG_2922.jpgth_IMG_2923.jpgth_IMG_2924.jpg

Well that's it for this weekend, due to the MI weather I didn't make it as far as I had hopped. I't was a good weekend tho. :)

Thanks again Kwameninja, I hope the little bit that I have done on the grip helped improved it. Let me know if I got it with the little I did, or if missed it all together.

And as always, Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. Or You're just stopping in to say High. Please do For they are all most welcomed and appreciated. (they also keep me from triple posting.) Thanks for watching my build. and remember..... Your Dreams are always within REACH. ;)

th_IMG_2927.jpg

th_IMG_2925.jpg

th_IMG_2926.jpg

th_IMG_2922.jpg

th_IMG_2923.jpg

th_IMG_2924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really nice thorn. Like you said before, this AR is built to fit you, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I'd say with buddy, it looks great.:D

Man, I m loving that MA37! Cant wait to see it painted. Also, its perfectly fine to mod the grip to fit you, look at all the M4 mods out there the military uses.

And yay, a fellow Michigander! I never realized until you said something (Yea I usually dont look at the location of the user, even though its there in your comment :p)

Looks really nice thorn. Like you said before, this AR is built to fit you, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I'd say with buddy, it looks great.:D

Man, I m loving that MA37! Cant wait to see it painted. Also, its perfectly fine to mod the grip to fit you, look at all the M4 mods out there the military uses.

And yay, a fellow Michigander! I never realized until you said something (Yea I usually dont look at the location of the user, even though its there in your comment :p)

Accuracy is achieved when "you" say... Done!

Thank you for all the comments.:D

After looking at the AR a little closer....Yes I missed the part he was talking about all together. It was the part that I rounded of to fit my X-Large hand. By looking at his great looking AR build (Link found below) I could tell right away. As for mine I'm not going to worry about it too much. I't will make it one of those things that make it mine.:D Besides I can almost taste the Fiberglass resin now:D (just a figure of speech)

I highly respect Kwameninja comments and Him for taking the time to show me how to make my project even better.:cool
And just in case you missed his scratch built cardboard AR (Ma37) It's very good work so if you're looking at doing a cardboard build here is the link. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35762-Scratch-Made-Halo-Reach-Ma37-quot-complete-quot-(PIC-HEAVY)

I have always said:
" Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. Or You're just stopping in to say High. Please do For they are all most welcomed and appreciated. "
And, I do mean it.

Remember I'm still learning this stuff and I haven't even played the game so YOU...the people out there, are my eyes and ears on this. And I have openly invited you here to watch a dream come to life. Thank you for watching.:)

so in closing:
Don't let your dreams fade away...
Build something....
And remember them Forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its looking great Thorn, Im just impressed how well this foam weapon is coming out, can't wait to see more progress and thanks for posting all the progress pics it definatly helps those of us who are thinking about taking on one of these foam weapon builds someday ;)

Its looking great Thorn, Im just impressed how well this foam weapon is coming out, can't wait to see more progress and thanks for posting all the progress pics it definatly helps those of us who are thinking about taking on one of these foam weapon builds someday ;)
Thank you, kindly. I'll keep up with the pic's :)
Agreed.
Once again, fantastic job!
Thank you. :D
Fixed :cool

Give him a call It will be ready for casting in a few weeks. I think this will be a faster way to finish the AR. It's that or 3 more months of resin and sanding.:eek

I do want to paint it up first tho I have to have pic's of it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back