Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend of 03-19-12

The Halo Reach Ma37 AR
1.)Added side plates
2.)Added new trigger
3.)Added the clip near handrail.
4.)Added wiring harness to counter.
5.)Added Knurl's ( yes I finely found the right spelling to this:D)
6.) 2 coats of resin.
7.) cut out flash suppresser.
8.) modified charging handle
9.) 14 hours of sanding/defining details.

th_IMG_2942.jpgth_IMG_2941.jpgth_IMG_2940.jpgth_IMG_2939.jpgth_IMG_2933.jpgth_IMG_2930.jpgth_IMG_2937.jpgth_IMG_2934.jpg

Mark V(B) Helmet-UA attachment.
1.) 2 coats resin.
2.) 1 coat filler Rondo.
3.) Sanded and thinned part.
4.) Heat shaped part to helmet.

th_IMG_2945.jpgth_IMG_2943.jpgth_IMG_2944.jpg

Next weekend will be more sanding, then paint prep.
Don't let your dreams fade away...
Build something....
And remember them Forever.
And as always, Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. Or You're just stopping in to say High. Please do For they are all most welcomed and appreciated. (they also keep me from triple posting.) Thanks for watching my build. and remember..... Your Dreams are always within REACH. ;)

th_IMG_2942.jpg

th_IMG_2941.jpg

th_IMG_2940.jpg

th_IMG_2939.jpg

th_IMG_2933.jpg

th_IMG_2930.jpg

th_IMG_2937.jpg

th_IMG_2934.jpg

th_IMG_2945.jpg

th_IMG_2943.jpg

th_IMG_2944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
14 hours of sanding!?! :eek You definitely have some patience!

It is worth it though...everything is looking great! :)

Your skills have really excelled thorn. I really like the rifle and really, really like the helmet attachment. It takes the helmet to another level. Great work my friend.:D

Wow! I step away for a little while and you get all creative and such...lol. This is looking excellent as always my friend, loving the rifle a lot :) . Great work!

Wow Thorn excellent job so far , you just keep going and going, now I feel like im slacking not building nothing at the moment

14 hours of sanding!?! :eek You definitely have some patience!

It is worth it though...everything is looking great! :)

Thank you LilTyrant. Yes it takes allot of sanding to slowly redefine the line work that the dremel messed up while striping the AR down. It's becoming a work of love but it will get there.:) It's sorta like how you're going about doing you're epic under suit. 1 piece at a time and working it till it's just right.

Your skills have really excelled thorn. I really like the rifle and really, really like the helmet attachment. It takes the helmet to another level. Great work my friend.:D

Thanks vshore. I'm trying to get the detail into this build a little at time to make it as good and/or close to the pic's of the Noble 6 I have. the UA was one of them.:cool I'm just trying to watch what you do on you're build and do the same for mine. ;)

Wow! I step away for a little while and you get all creative and such...lol. This is looking excellent as always my friend, loving the rifle a lot :) . Great work!

Thanks BLACKULA. I'm still trying to relearn everything that I had picked up 15-20 years ago and then add new things to it. Watching you're work has helped allot :D Looks like I'll have to work on my molding skills sometime soon tho ;)

Wow Thorn excellent job so far , you just keep going and going, now I feel like im slacking not building nothing at the moment

Thank you, Hyperballistik. I'm just trying to keep up with all those epic works of art you made :) Even tho I don't know if I'm in the same class as that EOD helmet of you're yet. I'll keep trying to improve.:cool

Wow thorn, that looks spectacular!

Thanks Mstruvmgc. I can say the same for you. I've been watching you're build move along, and seeing you're skills increase as you move from piece to piece. Looking good my friend.

Build something....

Thanks Mstruvmgc. I can say the same for you. I've been watching you're build move along, and seeing you're skills increase as you move from piece to piece. Looking good my friend.

Thanks bud, that means a lot! Ill be posting more stuff soon :)
I cant wait to see some new updates from ya:)

I must admit, I love the way you decided to paint up the armour.
It has a certain quality about it that I cant put my finger on... And it looks fantastic!
Was this an arisol spray job or air brush?
Cheers,
Cereal.

I must admit, I love the way you decided to paint up the armour.
It has a certain quality about it that I cant put my finger on... And it looks fantastic!
Was this an arisol spray job or air brush?
Cheers,
Cereal.

wow, that's a long one to answer but here it go's
Painting the Noble 6

1.) 2 coats spray primer.

2.) 2-3 coats spray primer filler, to fill in the little pits and stuff. sanding in between each coat.

3.) 2 coats spray white, to seal everything and to give it a lighter under tone. Added card stock details here in between coats of paint. Wet sand to get rid of the orange peel and/or runs, and to smooth the part out.

4.) 1 coat spray hammered silver. mostly around the edges and were I wanted rub/damage marks. Add masking agent to above mentioned rub/damge marks.

5.) 2 coats spray cameo green. clean of masking agent. sand any run marks.

6.) Black wash 50-50 mix added with a spray bottle and rag.

7.) Black wash 75% paint sponged on. This is done to fill in lines, create shadows, and darken the silver.

8.) Desert sand Sponged to the parts to mellow out the colors and/or tone down the parts. added decals to the shoulders here at this stage.

9.) Desert sand 50-50 mix to create high lights.

10.) Desert sand 25% White 25% water 50% mix dry-brushed to give it a cameo pattern. use rag to rub silver areas to make them show up better.

11.) 5 coats of spray flat clear coat. to seal everything.

12.) Touch ups are done with:
a.) Chrome silver paint marker to make them look like fresh damage.
b.) Black paint marker to fill in the darker areas.
Repeat for each part;)

Tools used:
A.) Paint brushes from .001-1inch, plus fan and make up brushes for dry-brushing.
B.) 3 different types of sponges, going from fine and soft to course sea sponge.
C.) Cotton rags
D.) old spay bottle for wash
E.) old squeeze bottles for mixing paint
F.) *** and a whole lot of Paint***

Yulp that seems to cover it......for now:D

I hope this helps answer the "It has a certain quality about it that I cant put my finger on":cool

And yes before you ask.....I LOVE to paint, You might even say I really get into it. :D

Side note: I do plan on buying a Airbrush one day in the near future.

Till next time.
Build something....

wow, that's a long one to answer but here it go's
Painting the Noble 6

1.) 2 coats spray primer.

2.) 2-3 coats spray primer filler, to fill in the little pits and stuff. sanding in between each coat.

3.) 2 coats spray white, to seal everything and to give it a lighter under tone. Added card stock details here in between coats of paint. Wet sand to get rid of the orange peel and/or runs, and to smooth the part out.

4.) 1 coat spray hammered silver. mostly around the edges and were I wanted rub/damage marks. Add masking agent to above mentioned rub/damge marks.

5.) 2 coats spray cameo green. clean of masking agent. sand any run marks.

6.) Black wash 50-50 mix added with a spray bottle and rag.

7.) Black wash 75% paint sponged on. This is done to fill in lines, create shadows, and darken the silver.

8.) Desert sand Sponged to the parts to mellow out the colors and/or tone down the parts. added decals to the shoulders here at this stage.

9.) Desert sand 50-50 mix to create high lights.

10.) Desert sand 25% White 25% water 50% mix dry-brushed to give it a cameo pattern. use rag to rub silver areas to make them show up better.

11.) 5 coats of spray flat clear coat. to seal everything.

12.) Touch ups are done with:
a.) Chrome silver paint marker to make them look like fresh damage.
b.) Black paint marker to fill in the darker areas.
Repeat for each part;)

Tools used:
A.) Paint brushes from .001-1inch, plus fan and make up brushes for dry-brushing.
B.) 3 different types of sponges, going from fine and soft to course sea sponge.
C.) Cotton rags
D.) old spay bottle for wash
E.) old squeeze bottles for mixing paint
F.) *** and a whole lot of Paint***

Yulp that seems to cover it......for now:D

I hope this helps answer the "It has a certain quality about it that I cant put my finger on":cool

And yes before you ask.....I LOVE to paint, You might even say I really get into it. :D

Side note: I do plan on buying a Airbrush one day in the near future.

Till next time.
Don't let you're dreams fade away...
Build something....

Ok... that's a lot to take in... lol
So some spray, and the rest hand painted. Nicely done sir.
I, myself am not too familiar with painting (other than spray cans, interior latex and of course HVLP)
Am I correct to assume the "hand painted" paints were acrylic?

Once again, fantastic work!

Hi Thorn. I feel slightly rude that although I have seen your thread have never commented. Mainly I guess cause although not completely finished your suit was kinda finished. Firstly amazing work dude. I absolutely love the paint job it's top class. After reading your painting steps it's made me realise I need to make more of an effort on mine but am enjoying my gun too much. Can't wait to see how you get on with yours.

Happy building Tom.

Hmmm, no wonder it looks so good. :) It still looks great every time I see it.

-Matt
Thank you Mat,
You're ODST build is really coming along nicely, It's going to look awesome when finished. :)
Ok... that's a lot to take in... lol
So some spray, and the rest hand painted. Nicely done sir.
I, myself am not too familiar with painting (other than spray cans, interior latex and of course HVLP)
Am I correct to assume the "hand painted" paints were acrylic?

Once again, fantastic work!
Yes, I used Acrylic. It thins down real well and I can get different effects with it by just hitting it with water and/or rubbing it with a damp cloth. :D
Hi Thorn. I feel slightly rude that although I have seen your thread have never commented. Mainly I guess cause although not completely finished your suit was kinda finished. Firstly amazing work dude. I absolutely love the paint job it's top class. After reading your painting steps it's made me realise I need to make more of an effort on mine but am enjoying my gun too much. Can't wait to see how you get on with yours.

Happy building Tom.
Thank you, Tom.
The "have never commented" most people don't so I'd never take it in a negative way. It makes it just that more better when someone of you're caliber dos stop in and make a comment :cool
I love watching you're foam work by the way, the amount of detail you get out of foam is just awesome.:)
As for the paint....Well....To me it's all about the paint really, I just had to build something to paint first. ;)
Stop in anytime :cool

Weekend of 03-25-12
I'll not be posting any new pic's this week. Not that I didn't get anything done, but with resin and sanding the only thing that looks different is the color. I added another 3 coats of resin.:D Next week I will be doing a whole lot of sanding, maybe a coat of primer to see were it needs more sanding. ;)

And as always, Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. Or You're just stopping in to say High. Please do... For they are all most welcomed and appreciated. (they also keep me from triple posting.) Thanks for watching my build. and remember..... Your Dreams are always within REACH. ;)

I'm going to post this up being I get asked about "How I get my armor so smooth" allot.

1.) I use 1 coat resin on the out side 2 coats resin on the inside.

2.)Then light coat rondo the inside. That way I can sand down into the resin/rondo to get the shape I want, with no bondo.
2.a.) I then use rondo glass on the inside for strength.

3.)Then I use 1-2 coats primer and 1-4 coats of primer filler sanding in between each coat. primer filler is a heave primer paint that fills in all the pits and lines.

4.)Start with a good base paint 2 coats and you should be real smooth.

I hope that helps :cool

This actually helps me out with my SCAR build. I was not aware of the primer filler which I am sure will come in handy as MDF doesn't sand so smooth. I though alot of coats of primer would do it but will try the filler out to save on time. Thank you for the info bro :)

This actually helps me out with my SCAR build. I was not aware of the primer filler which I am sure will come in handy as MDF doesn't sand so smooth. I though alot of coats of primer would do it but will try the filler out to save on time. Thank you for the info bro :)

One thing that I would recomend when paibting the mdf is to first give it a "very" thin light coat of primer, be sure to let it dry thoroughly, then one more very thin coat of primer, and let it dry thoroughly. Mdf is known for sucking in moisture and swelling dramatically. If you apply a couple thin quick coats before a heavy primer job, it will seal the mdf causing it not to swell.

Sorry Thorn, didnt mean to hijack!!
Cheers,
Cereal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back