Noble Team: A Reach Collaboration Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
...... this WIP makes me just want to take my current project and throw it in the garbage..... EPIC stuff here, BM!!! after all my reach armor is done im gona use this thread as reference for stuff like the spine piece and undersuit. You rule!!! we are not worthy...

@kasper- yeah, living in the middle of nowhere can be a pain sometimes. Seriously. I dont go into the city often. Send me a pm and we can finalize the details on the foam thing.

@matth101- don't scrap your work. Most people just don't take the time to get things right. Anyone can do why I do if they are willing to spend the time. You can suck with bondo, but if you are willing to spend the time fixing your goods you will learn from them. I hadn't touched clay up until a couple weeks ago, so it's as new for me as most other people here. They key with pep resin and bondo is to take your time. You may seem to go slower but taking your time to get everything just so will save you time in the long run. With bondo, pay the $2 extra a pint for gold grade, it makes a differences out it on in very thin layers and only do small batches. Sand after each layer. And spend hours looking at reference pictures. When you know the part you are working on like the back of your hand it will be a lot easier when it is time to do the bondo work. I plan out exactly how I am going to make each part from start to finish before I ever put my hand to paper. And don't be scared to screw up. I can't count how many times I have scrapped a part and started over because I had made a big enough good to warrant it. But most of the time you can fix your mistakes. Thanks for the compliments, they really help to motivate, but don't knock your own talents and abilities. If you decide you want to improve them and focus on doing so, it is entirely possible to be as good as any of the best builders on here.

lol i know, i was joking :) i put in way too much of the little bit of time i get at home with these projects to scrap anything. I was just looking at your stuff in envy. gives me motivation to do good work :D so stoked to see this one done dude!

So I am just waiting on the second half of the mothermold to cure. I used smooth cast 321 and fiberglass cloth. I started by brushing on a layer of 321. As it began to heat up and eventually kick I continued to brush it over the top of the rubber and let it run down. I did this till it was about the consistency of honey then let it set. While it was still wet but mostly green I laid the fiberglass into it, not overlapping the edges so that it would stick. Once this was done I mixed up another batch of 321 and brushed it over the fiberglass until it was all wet, then laid another layer overtop bein sure to overlap the edges of the first layer. I continued to lay a layer, then brush resin over it until the second batch was done. This should give me about enough strength for the mother mold. I will post pics once it is trimmed and clear up.

Here are the mold pics:
c5906c44.jpg

155d644c.jpg

68c74131.jpg

As you can see there was a slight skinning problem, but other than that it turned out great. It's smooth, no bubbles. It won't need to be transitioned, which is great!

They will look better once I have them cold cast. I find I get a better skin and fewer voids with the foam when I do. And in resin it won't have any voids. I will try doing a resin one today. I also got the secod mold of the dmr done in rebound last night, now I just need to mold the scope, flash suppressor and charging handle in rebound and then it's good to go. I will do a run in the next week or so once I get my 5 gallon kit of resin in. I'm thinking I may try sculpting the shin since I bought another 15lbs of clay yesterday...

Got a little bit more work done, I'm trying to get the base shapes down before I continue on. Here's the pic of the progress so far:
c397f1de.jpg

I started by building the basic layout of the front, using a centerline to square things up. From there it is just fairing and squaring. I will do one side first the match it up.
acf32f18.jpg

9676ea22.jpg

fd69012d.jpg

Got things squared up and even all te way around, which was a lot of work. Started adding the secondary shapes. Here's the pics:

59f5ee5b.jpg

215f48dc.jpg

2b58ebd6.jpg

Brandon! Been awhile since I checked up on your work. Looks great!!!
I wish we lived closer so I could lend you a hand on this and learn the process better on this.

I like how the forearms turned out in the flexfoam. They have this great worn look to them already so with a little paint....BAM!!!

Keep up the good work!

Any questions on process feel free to ask, I'm an open book. As far as the flex foam, when it barely flakes the skin it does have a cool look. Very much like real worn metal. The black wash and the dry brush really make it pop. That's why I love my suit so much. It looks super legit.

So I got a little work done on the shin today while waiting for parts to cure and molds to rest. I looked at the pics and noticed the back bottom of the shin needed some fixing. So I tweaked it a bit and also laid out the recess at the top back, flattening the spot and marking it out. Here are the pics:

bba05b7e.jpg

66698866.jpg

35f79493.jpg

74f26cae.jpg

Great job! Keep the sculpts coming. Its really inspiring, I may have to pick up some clay. Actually, I did, but I hate what I got (Van Aiken = to soft), so I'm getting the Chavant medium next. Anyways, as always, you are doing a fantastic job.

ok guys its time for my up date, i have been working hard trying to finish up the BFG and jet pack as well as my undersuit i aways just use a black jump suit but not this year i figure if im gonna have a nice set of armor the under suit is what pulls it all together.this might take up two posts from the pics but ill try my best. well here are the pics
here are my EVA foam thigh and shin. the thigh is made to look just like brandons first thigh

5565201086_23db20c1d2.jpg
5565200242_ce99cfde06.jpg

here is a pic of brandons thigh with mine
5565199790_2e770e1e71_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back