ODST Build 1: The Journey Begins

Been a busy few weeks with the baby so not much to report. All the ab pieces are ready for painting and the chest plate has been painted blue. Also, I think the SMG is ready for printing. According to Blender's 3D printing toolkit thingy it's ready to go. It is gonna be a while before I actually print it tho bc I want to print it in ABS so I gotta figure out everything about that... Hopefully I will be able to make some photo worthy progress next week!
Thanks for stopping by!

I am going to make a bigger update probs on Friday or Saturday, but I was too excited by this.

The chest plate is looking soooo good! Still a little to do but the stencils turned out amazing!

PXL_20210524_222428167.jpg

Ok full update time.
Chest plate stencils are done (for now at least), ab pieces are weathered and just need blackwash, butt plate is ready for fiberglass, and I have a plan for the chest base layer.

PXL_20210527_223014837.jpg

The stencils are made on painters tape using my exacto knife thingy. Shout out to SpecialOpsJoe2 for the vectors I used for my stencils. The UNSC emblem is a pain in the a$$, and I had to get my much more artistic wife to hand paint the black details inside, because my attempts failed horribly. But it looks pretty awesome and will look even more awesome after I do some weathering. I didn't quite get to weathering the chest plate yet this week. Also those stencils took me so long that I was scared to mess them up with weathering.

PXL_20210524_170359324.jpgPXL_20210524_170402217.jpgPXL_20210524_181331721.jpgPXL_20210524_192618855.jpgPXL_20210524_222024505.jpg

Also printed, painted, and attached some screw heads to the ab pieces that turned out pretty good. My printer has decided to randomly stop being able to use the BLtouch so its touch and go as to weather or not a print will even start. Once it starts though, its fine... Anywho, I don't think I took any close up pics of the screws but you can see them in the first pic. I am going to go ahead and attach the files for my screws here if anyone wants them. There is a bigger version that you can see on the ab pieces and a smaller version ("0.75") that is what I used for the forearms and the small screws at the top of the power pack on the ab collection.

The SMG is supposedly ready for printing. I have been worried about scale so I printed the pistol grip for the SMG with 0% infill (as to not waste too much filament or time). Its a little giant, but I didn't take a picture because I suck at taking pictures. Also, I noticed that the grip for the SMG has a GIANT butt. So, I decided to open up the file again in good ol' blender and make some more edits. I have given the grip some butt reduction surgery and scaled it down a bit. I am going to try to reprint it with 0% infill again to check the scale again and I will try to take a picture of both grips. I am encouraged by the need to scale down bc that will make the rest of pieces have to scale down as well. Then, they wont take quite so long to print. At the current size, the upper receiver will take about 40 hours to print and that makes me nervous as hell. Hopefully, the scale down will help. Though I will have to try to scale it down without making it too small. The rookie cosplay guide puts the SMG at about 35 inches (90 cm) in length :oops:.

For the chest base layer, my main issue is that I can't get it on without splitting it and making it two pieces. My issue then is how to reconnect the two pieces and when to cut it relative to the Bondo process. I think I'm going to Bondo first, then cut, then use a some straps and velcro to reattach the pieces. The straps at the top of the shoulders will be hidden by the big straps that I still need to make...

So much to do so little time.

Attachments

• PXL_20210527_223014837.jpg
    PXL_20210527_223014837.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 186
  • PXL_20210524_222024505.jpg
    PXL_20210524_222024505.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 192
  • PXL_20210524_192618855.jpg
    PXL_20210524_192618855.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • PXL_20210524_181331721.jpg
    PXL_20210524_181331721.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 172
  • PXL_20210524_170402217.jpg
    PXL_20210524_170402217.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 183
  • PXL_20210524_170359324.jpg
    PXL_20210524_170359324.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • roundedscrews 0.75.stl
    27.3 KB · Views: 183
  • roundedscrews.stl
    27.3 KB · Views: 179
Not a ton of progress this week, but some fun and exciting stuff.

Finished weathering on the ab pieces and chest plate and almost everything is clear coated.

PXL_20210603_175014880.jpgPXL_20210603_175020318.jpgPXL_20210603_175031197.jpgPXL_20210603_175035724.jpgPXL_20210603_175043062.jpg

They're grimy and beat up, and look awesome. I love them. Anyway for the chest plate I do have a question. If I was to put a personal motto on there that's not part of the already established halo universe, how would that effect my eventual tier placement for deployment?

In other news I got my printer set up for printing in ABS. This is exciting and fun and so far everything I have printed IN ABS has turned out great. I am going to start printing SMG parts soon and that's gonna be super fun. If things keep going as well as they have been I should have a printed SMG by the next update and some bangin' printable files to post.

Not a ton of progress this week, but some fun and exciting stuff.

Finished weathering on the ab pieces and chest plate and almost everything is clear coated.

View attachment 306655View attachment 306654View attachment 306653View attachment 306652View attachment 306651

They're grimy and beat up, and look awesome. I love them. Anyway for the chest plate I do have a question. If I was to put a personal motto on there that's not part of the already established halo universe, how would that effect my eventual tier placement for deployment?

In other news I got my printer set up for printing in ABS. This is exciting and fun and so far everything I have printed IN ABS has turned out great. I am going to start printing SMG parts soon and that's gonna be super fun. If things keep going as well as they have been I should have a printed SMG by the next update and some bangin' printable files to post.
they say "a knight in shining armour has never been tested" and this certainly looks like its been tested :D looking awesome

Ah man, that grunge! The 90's will be calling soon. [Chef's kiss]

they say "a knight in shining armour has never been tested" and this certainly looks like its been tested :D looking awesome

Thanks! I felt like the chest plate needed to look the most beat up of the pieces. It's so grungy I love it!

Ooh also I forgot to post these pics of the hollowed pistol grip for the SMG. These test prints helped me do some last minute scaling of the SMG and some editing of the file cause it looked silly.

PXL_20210531_230058347.jpgPXL_20210531_230041069.jpg
Idk why that pic is upside down...

I am going to start printing SMG parts tonight actually and will have to stop when I go to work tomorrow but will continue tomorrow night. Then it will be basically 24-7 3D printer running (hopefully) and it should all be done by my next update, next weekend!

Not as amazing an update as I was hoping to post, but here it goes!

After like 3 straight days of running the printer I have these pieces done:

PXL_20210610_205845932.jpg
PXL_20210610_205902157.jpgPXL_20210610_205909745.jpgPXL_20210610_205918059.jpgPXL_20210610_205924112.jpgPXL_20210610_205939991.jpgPXL_20210610_205948622.jpg

The buttstock and foregrip, flashlight and magazine look great. I'm really happy with how they turned out. The pistol grip is a little wonky and I think I'm going to reorient it in the slicer and reprint it. I opted to not print the upper receiver because I am not sure I have enough filament to finish the 23 ish hour print. I am going to have to get a new spool and then I will print the upper receiver and the reprint the pistol grip and barrel.

I figured out why the barrel is weirdly shaped and I'm going to fix it in blender. It should be a relatively easy fix and once that's done I can reprint it.

All the prints are kinda rough when it comes to print lines and whatnot but ultimately, I am happy with them. Also, my printer performed admirably in this stress test- I'm proud of all it's hard work.

I also finished pepping the left thigh piece and started the resin layers. The right thigh is maybe half pepped... I also sanded a butt load on the chest base layer. It needs more but I got pretty burned out on sanding. Also the butt piece is ready for spot filler but I don't have any right now so that's on hold too. I don't have any pics of that stuff tho. Maybe once they get more done I will remember to take pics.

Last edited:
Welcome back folks! It's that time again!

First SMG - after a few failed prints and some fiddling with files, the barrel is ready to be printed. I'm still not sure I have enough filament to print the upper receiver and/or the pistol grip so that's still on hold. BUT I did update the sight in the file to be more accurate to the rookie cosplay guide. As you can see, I took out the weird iron sights that were in the file originally and edited in the arch.
There is also a cutout from the arch that will be included in the file which you can use as a template to cut a piece of plastic to complete the sight.

PXL_20210618_000706768.jpgPXL_20210618_000722198.jpg

However, the sight is bowed. Idk if you see it in this pic but it doesn't sit flat and idk why... It's the first piece to have this problem.

PXL_20210618_000734102.jpg

I am gonna thoroughly clean my nozzle and bed and relevel everything. I also am going to make some minor changes to my printer settings and fan settings and whatnot to see if I can fix this..

On to the armor-

The left thigh is ready for fiberglass. I was going to fiberglass it yesterday but then I thought maybe it needed another layer of just resin. I didn't really but it's not like it's going to hurt the piece.

PXL_20210614_212012990.jpgPXL_20210617_224155237.jpg

The right thigh is coming along in pep. I'm going to install magnets into this one to (theoretically) mount my SOCOM to my thigh when not in use so to speak. That will be a bit of an adventure so I will try to take progress pics of that process. I have seen people use magnets to attach stuff with foam but idk how it's going to go with pep and 3d printed props...

PXL_20210617_235127046.jpgPXL_20210617_235125663.jpg

The chest base layer has one dose of sanding done and a second layer of bondo has been applied. Needs lots more but progress is progress.

PXL_20210617_224214651.jpg

Also, I made a med ref sticker for my left shoulder plate and attached it. It's just a paper sticker so I put a bunch of layers of clear coat over it and I'm gonna do a little black wash and then it will hopefully look pretty awesome. I like how it looks so far so I'm hopeful.

PXL_20210617_224200818.jpg

The butt plate has been primered and silvered. Just gotta do some of my primary grey color and some black detailing then it's pretty much done. My plan is to get a memory foam type cushion and cut it so that it fits inside the pep piece for leaning and sitting and whatnot but that's a ways down the line as of now.

PXL_20210617_224144171.jpg

Lastly, I attached the center power pack thing to my chest plate with a cloth hinge so it has some wiggle but doesn't have to be attached separately to the undersuit.

PXL_20210617_224257258.jpg

I think that's all. I may be getting some more abs in soon idk. I haven't actually finished off the roll I have yet so I should be able to make some more progress before buying more. Everytime i think it's about to be empty another layer is revealed.

Attachments

• PXL_20210617_224152800.jpg
    PXL_20210617_224152800.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
Welcome back folks! It's that time again!

First SMG - after a few failed prints and some fiddling with files, the barrel is ready to be printed. I'm still not sure I have enough filament to print the upper receiver and/or the pistol grip so that's still on hold. BUT I did update the sight in the file to be more accurate to the rookie cosplay guide. As you can see, I took out the weird iron sights that were in the file originally and edited in the arch.
There is also a cutout from the arch that will be included in the file which you can use as a template to cut a piece of plastic to complete the sight.

View attachment 307090View attachment 307091

However, the sight is bowed. Idk if you see it in this pic but it doesn't sit flat and idk why... It's the first piece to have this problem.

View attachment 307092

I am gonna thoroughly clean my nozzle and bed and relevel everything. I also am going to make some minor changes to my printer settings and fan settings and whatnot to see if I can fix this..

On to the armor-

The left thigh is ready for fiberglass. I was going to fiberglass it yesterday but then I thought maybe it needed another layer of just resin. I didn't really but it's not like it's going to hurt the piece.

View attachment 307101View attachment 307098

The right thigh is coming along in pep. I'm going to install magnets into this one to (theoretically) mount my SOCOM to my thigh when not in use so to speak. That will be a bit of an adventure so I will try to take progress pics of that process. I have seen people use magnets to attach stuff with foam but idk how it's going to go with pep and 3d printed props...

View attachment 307093View attachment 307094

The chest base layer has one dose of sanding done and a second layer of bondo has been applied. Needs lots more but progress is progress.

View attachment 307096

Also, I made a med ref sticker for my left shoulder plate and attached it. It's just a paper sticker so I put a bunch of layers of clear coat over it and I'm gonna do a little black wash and then it will hopefully look pretty awesome. I like how it looks so far so I'm hopeful.

View attachment 307097

The butt plate has been primered and silvered. Just gotta do some of my primary grey color and some black detailing then it's pretty much done. My plan is to get a memory foam type cushion and cut it so that it fits inside the pep piece for leaning and sitting and whatnot but that's a ways down the line as of now.

View attachment 307100

Lastly, I attached the center power pack thing to my chest plate with a cloth hinge so it has some wiggle but doesn't have to be attached separately to the undersuit.

View attachment 307095

I think that's all. I may be getting some more abs in soon idk. I haven't actually finished off the roll I have yet so I should be able to make some more progress before buying more. Everytime i think it's about to be empty another layer is revealed.
loving your progress so far :D I am currently working on the thigh and I am planning on adding a mag holster as well. bought the magnets for it, just got figure out the best locations to place them.

loving your progress so far :D I am currently working on the thigh and I am planning on adding a mag holster as well. bought the magnets for it, just got figure out the best locations to place them.
Thanks! I am curious which magnets you went with. I'm looking at neodymium magnets from Amazon, but always curious a about others' methods!

Thanks! I am curious which magnets you went with. I'm looking at neodymium magnets from Amazon, but always curious a about others' methods!
i went neodymium too as i know they are very strong. i got the first4magnets 20x6x1.5mm on amazon however i have done some testing and even with 3 mags spaced out on the smg, 3 double stacked mags on a separate piece of foam and all placed as close as possible to the foam surface and they are struggling to hold it so i might have to get different ones which is annoying

i went neodymium too as i know they are very strong. i got the first4magnets 20x6x1.5mm on amazon however i have done some testing and even with 3 mags spaced out on the smg, 3 double stacked mags on a separate piece of foam and all placed as close as possible to the foam surface and they are struggling to hold it so i might have to get different ones which is annoying
ooh ambitious. I wasnt even going to try to stick my SMG I was just going to stick the pistol. My weapons are both going to be 3d printed and i dont think i can hide enough mangets in a 3D printed SMG to make it stay... the pistol Im hoping will be light enough to stick tho. Im considering these

for in the armor and I have some similar thin strip magnets like you described that Im going to embed in the pistol.

ooh ambitious. I wasnt even going to try to stick my SMG I was just going to stick the pistol. My weapons are both going to be 3d printed and i dont think i can hide enough mangets in a 3D printed SMG to make it stay... the pistol Im hoping will be light enough to stick tho. Im considering these

for in the armor and I have some similar thin strip magnets like you described that Im going to embed in the pistol.
ambitious pretty much sums up all my creative endeavours :D

those are pretty big, sadly i have limited space for my magnets.
IMG_20210621_185331.jpg

yeah maybe the magnets i have at the moment will work for the pistol too but it looks like i will have to get stronger ones for the smg. hopefully a magnet with 5.4kg pull force can hold a 315g smg

This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back