ODST Build 1: The Journey Begins

MrJamin

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Gosh. Just got my two year notification... 2 years still haven't finished my first suit...oh well.

I do have some updates to post just gotta take some pictures. Also with a nice break coming in my PA program I am hopefully gonna make some progress in the coming few weeks.
As someone that is also over 2 years without a finished suit - I feel ya.

FalseShepherd

I still dont have pictures. I am bad at remembering that. I got one shin pepped during my winter break and I need to wait for warmer weather for the resin stages. My SMG is printed and assembled and im working on smoothing and whatnot.

The chest base layer is also kinda not great. I got it split and strapped up but honestly it's too small and because its pep that makes it really uncomfortable. Also, it looks kinda bad...

PXL_20220206_222342860.jpg InkedPXL_20220206_222337622_LI.jpg InkedPXL_20220206_222332017_LI.jpg
It's not far off from being ok it's just off enough that I think I need to remake it. Also forgive my messy basement.

The next thing about it is I'm not sure it should be a hard surface. Looking at the Cosplay guide, it looks like that layer is more of a rigid fabric layer like a Kevlar material or something.

baselayer.jpg

I need to redo the layer anyway so I will probably try to make it a soft layer that has that kinda thick, heavy duty look to it. maybe something lightweight but skinned with canvas or cordura or something... I am considering making it out of foam like everyone said I should but my foamskills are just so ... meh. Anyway, that piece is on the backburner until I have time to really get into it.

I have also been working on the inner thigh pieces for my thigh pieces. I am making them out of foam and have the general shape down and they look pretty good. I haven't had time to finish the pieces up yet, just got my toes wet a little with foam work by cutting out the general shape. I dont have pics, but i will try to take some eventually, also of the SMG and my shin. I am moving forward with this project just very slowly. Maybe it will be done by the time I graduate PA school... I wouldn't count on it though since I don't have any more long breaks ever again...

Attachments

• baselayer.jpg
    baselayer.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 43

FalseShepherd

Finally took some pictures of what I have been working on. Still didnt get one of the SMG...someday i will take one. Here's the thighs tho. That black piece is like a base layer for the inner thigh foam. I am going to add on strips of foam to make the "ribbed" parts as you can see in the pic from the cosplay guide. I just haven't made those strips yet.

PXL_20220227_170954438.jpg PXL_20220227_171141221.jpg Screenshot 2022-02-23 092147.jpg

Also here is my shin that I did and the knee that goes with it. When it finally warms up I will begin the resin steps and whatnot on that bad boy.

PXL_20220227_171610575.jpg PXL_20220227_171622860.jpg

Not a ton of progress just some of the pics I promised.

Shadow the ODST

Finally took some pictures of what I have been working on. Still didnt get one of the SMG...someday i will take one. Here's the thighs tho. That black piece is like a base layer for the inner thigh foam. I am going to add on strips of foam to make the "ribbed" parts as you can see in the pic from the cosplay guide. I just haven't made those strips yet. View attachment 314603 View attachment 314604 View attachment 314607 Also here is my shin that I did and the knee that goes with it. When it finally warms up I will begin the resin steps and whatnot on that bad boy. View attachment 314605 View attachment 314606 Not a ton of progress just some of the pics I promised.

wish i thought of doing it that way. i made each strip individually and glued them on one at a time to the rest of the thigh, which was a massive pain in the arse to git them to fit and line up.

FalseShepherd

With the weather heating up I am once again prepping for resin and bondo work! I have regrown my beard though having quit my healthcare job to go back to school. Anyone have any respirator recommendations that work with beards? I do not keep my beard long so it should fit in any respirators ok, Im more worried about the seal. I have been looking at full face respirators on amazon, but not much really talks about the seal with a beard...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.