ODST illuminating Flash Bangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
447B1802-0904-4E1A-BE91-80172895C8B7.jpeg

Well, what you should have now is a completed and very realistic (to the game, at least) ODST Flashbang!

Whether you choose to continue to follow me along here with the electronics, or opt out, you either way end up with this really high quality piece that can make you proud of accomplishing.

Now that the esthetics are complete, let’s move on to wiring and internals. Gotta light this sucker up.

View attachment 277066
Well, what you should have now is a completed and very realistic (to the game, at least) ODST Flashbang!

Whether you choose to continue to follow me along here with the electronics, or opt out, you either way end up with this really high quality piece that can make you proud of accomplishing.

Now that the esthetics are complete, let’s move on to wiring and internals. Gotta light this sucker up.
This thing's lookin real cool

how are you planning to attach to your suit? Have to start using more spices in my food........this is a very simple and AMAZES-BALLS build!!!! I'm stealing it for my daughter's ODSK.........it will be pink.

Well, to be honest, I’m still weighing a few options. From Velcro, to magnets, to simple hot glue or contact cement, there are so many options. I honestly think it breaks Down to what you want. Whether you permenantly mount these and run electronics through the rear of the set, or want them to be independent pieces that you can remove and activate during your cosplay.

I’ll play with that thought more while I go through the electronics side of this.

Well, to be honest, I’m still weighing a few options. From Velcro, to magnets, to simple hot glue or contact cement, there are so many options.
i'd go velcro before magnets because the hip plates are already a loose armor piece and these will probably bounce around a bit more. If you're planning on detaching them.

4775FADC-AA75-4718-A6F1-57DAD3647F1D.jpeg

Alright, so for those of you who are like me, and need pictures to explain everything and have absolutely no electrical experience, here is the universal (simple) diagram of how LED’s work.

On the Positive side, we start at a power bank, run power through a resistor, to one end of a power switch, and to the positive side of the LED. From there, we travel the ground from the negative side of the LED, back to the power bank.

09C04798-E329-4FCE-9F36-93C193439BB2.jpeg

FYI: if you plan on buying these items in a retail store, plan to bring a small fortune with you to pay for it all. Otherwise, travel over the LED Supply online and get this stuff cheap. It all does the same.

A269F5E7-F0E4-4EDF-9997-83688422044C.jpeg

You will want a soldering kit, but nothing too expensive is needed here. Walmart sells the gun for $5 and soldering wire for $2.

To keep this on the cheap end, some electrical tape will work if you don’t want to use shrinking tube.

Soldering is an incredibly easy skill that can be learned by watching a 40 second instructional video on YouTube... not that I know... personally...:cool:

EEF34735-4363-4E99-B39C-E9FE96794C86.jpeg

Once you have everything wired up and soldered into place, flip the switch, and we should have light!

C533B164-4546-44F4-B708-80F7B994F064.jpeg

901F9C9F-D9EB-401B-8D4B-91A42AB7B08D.jpeg

Alright, now the next part is completely up to you. But... in order to block any light, shining from the LED, illuminating all of this junk inside the grenade, I took a piece of plexiglass, cut it the length of the spice container and roughly 3/4 the width.

I chose to wrap the plexiglass with electrical tape, purely so it would block any view through the plexiglass to the electrical components.

I drilled a small hole through the center of the plexiglass t allow the LED to shine centered in the window.

Once the LED us glued into place within the drilled hole, and the battery bank is glued to the back of the plexiglass, the entire system should slide right into the container.

CD4BBF9B-D053-490A-9D24-ED7106ADEB88.jpeg

It might take a couple of times to get it to sit just right, but once it’s in there and the lid is screwed into place, all is good. The large 9v battery bank and plexiglass, should hold everything in place on the inside.

And presto! We have a lit up ODST Flashbang!

8A23FB1A-D33B-4E70-826B-CD7A436AD27B.jpeg

Cant tell if the center glow is from the LED or from the flash of your camera......it looks to be a bit on the bright side. Perhaps an additional layer or 2 of the yellow diffuser.

Last edited:
Cant tell if the center glow is from the LED or from the flash of your camera......it looks to be a bit on the bright side. Perhaps an additional layer or 2 of the yellow diffuser.

I would say either add a couple of layers of the yellow, or move the location of the LED. I’m going to play with this more and try it with a much brighter white LED and simply relocate the LED to the bottom of the container, rather than directly in front of it.

Hopefully by trial and error, I’ll find a good balance here somewhere lol

I agree I think they are pretty good on brightness. assuming they don't leave burn spots in your eye when you look at them.

2B3F0774-38C4-478D-8255-C0886C060088.jpeg

So, keep in mind that the hip armor I’m displaying here has been scaled down for my wife. But I’ve decided to mount using Velcro. This will allow her to remove them during her cosplay and add some fun for pictures.

4851C5C6-B0F0-4C77-B4F1-B2EB9F52EB39.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back