Official - Bungie Leaves Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
I spotted this on Kotaku about an hour ago, right before they pulled it off the site, only to re-post it after talking to Bungie.

Bungie, Microsoft tight lipped about seperation rumors

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/bungie-micr...mors-305825.php

Those rumors surrounding a Bungie departure from Microsoft sure sound fishy, so we got in touch with some folks who might know a thing or two about it. We were hoping for either a "Yes, it's true. You'll find the details of the settlement in the attached PDF" or "Of course it's not true. Don't be ridiculous." Instead we got a double barrel blast of non-confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm interesting I personally hope it happens since they might start making halo 2 for the mac and then maybe even Halo 3.

Maybe if Bunige goes rogue, they'll allow us to have freedom with our fandom.
Could be a good thing.
Bungie makes enough money to do whatever they want to.
Very interesting read, but how accurate can the source of a friend of a friend be?

It better not be.

Otherwise, HELL YEAH! Bungie sure needs to be rid of Microsoft.

Hmm, I'm curious as to why it's so bad that Bungie is incorporated with only microsoft and what "rules" they've put in that makes it so bad? Not trying to sound snotty or anything, just curious.

MaShEdPOTaToEs said:
what is microsoft doing to help bungie in any way?

Umm... hugely successful halo 1 2 and 3... how do you think this would have gone without microsofts budget? Microsoft is definitely an asset to have as an ally, even if I think they're evil.

I'm also wondering what these fandom killing rules are that microsoft has supposedly imposed?

More power to Bungie! Bungie loves their community and they thrive off of the fan-base. I honestly don't think Bungie has a problem with us (the forum/builders) making armor/props, creating footage, or expanding the Halo universe. Microsoft is the one whom has a steel clamp around the fans' balls. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

MustangMatt said:
More power to Bungie! Bungie loves their community and they thrive off of the fan-base. I honestly don't think Bungie has a problem with us (the forum/builders) making armor/props, creating footage, or expanding the Halo universe. Microsoft is the one whom has a steel clamp around the fans' balls. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Interesting "steel clamp around the fans' balls." analogy. Definitely evil much? (Microsoft, not you)

Unfortunatly this isnt the first time this kind of rumor has gone around, see Microsoft OWNS Bungie they are not "partners" or "contracted" like alot of people think.

I spoke about this almost 4 months ago when I first heard that rumor to my Microsoft Rep at work and he fully debunked it as being compleatly false there is no way in hell that Microsoft is going to release a trademarked name that they outright own and is generating them a ton of buisness.

Which does suck because getting away from Microsoft would be nice for us since we wouldnt have to follow Microsofts rules anymore

Bungie's made enough money to buy out of micro$oft.
Like it or not, Bungie could still break away if they wanted.
Bungie is affiliated with Microsoft, but it is not owned entirely by them.

They could buy out of their contract.

Sarge Christi said:
Bungie's made enough money to buy out of micro$oft.
Like it or not, Bungie could still break away if they wanted.
Bungie is affiliated with Microsoft, but it is not owned entirely by them.

They could buy out of their contract.

lol I love your optimism, but there is no way Bungie has enough money to buy out MS =(
I personally would LOVE to see Halo go over to the sony side, just because I know sony would allow them much more creative freedom. Like for instance, I hate how Halo has always been a rated M game with very little mature content. I mean sure the marines curs in halo 3, but where is the blood and violence that games like gears have? A psp version of halo would also be delicious :D Plus with the blue-ray they could have fit a lot more HD content onto the game, which could have potentially made the game look a whole lot better.

It would just be interesting where halo would end up if it went multi platform. However obviously it pretty much never will. Even if Bungie dose split from MS, all well get out of it is probably a Marathon game for the Wii or some RTS for PS3.

Khuntilla said:
lol I love your optimism, but there is no way Bungie has enough money to buy out MS =(
I personally would LOVE to see Halo go over to the sony side, just because I know sony would allow them much more creative freedom. Like for instance, I hate how Halo has always been a rated M game with very little mature content. I mean sure the marines curs in halo 3, but where is the blood and violence that games like gears have? A psp version of halo would also be delicious :D Plus with the blue-ray they could have fit a lot more HD content onto the game, which could have potentially made the game look a whole lot better.

It would just be interesting where halo would end up if it went multi platform. However obviously it pretty much never will. Even if Bungie dose split from MS, all well get out of it is probably a Marathon game for the Wii or some RTS for PS3.

W.T.F DUDE THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF HALO IS FOR XBOX, ITS THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES XBOX360 LIVE. so are you a 360 fan or a ps3 fan..

By now, you must have heard the rumor of Bungie leaving Microsoft that started at 8Bit Joystick.com. Well, we can't provide further info now (we'd put our sources in trouble) but we're going to tell you that it is more complex than simply Bungie leaving Microsoft or Microsoft letting Bungie go.

There will be an official announcement this week, definitely before October 12th...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back