Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok im having a big prob with scaling iv don the math and the armor still dont fit im 5'10" and 230 lbs is armor even going to fit me ? helmet fits fine but nothing else does can i get some info on this please.

I made topic on this just in case, but where is the button that allows you to scale things!?!?!?!?! I can't find it and now I feel like a complete noob :cry: :cry: :cry:

HEy lads and ladesses,

Im having problems fitting ROBOGENESIS's shin pieces. I am 5'8" and I have measured and everything correctly. It fits now dues to flexing the cardboard. I can see where there will be problems when I try to flex it after it has been fiber glassed. Has any one had this problem?

I have a few ideas.

-Go to crackheads files
-Pray that the fiber glass can flex
-Devise some kind of shin or two piece set up

Good god help me..

Mawr....

I'm sorry if this has been answered in any previous posts, but is there any sort of function in Pepakura Designer that will allow you to see dimensions, like cubical dimensions such as length, width and height, or do I just have to rely on the scaling factor of being 6 foot and what not.

I did a shoulder as practice and it cuts into the inside of my elbow just a smidgen, I know I have to scale it down, but I would much prefer editing the scale based on the length of my forearm rather than my entire body.

Being new to Pepakura and all, it seems like a lot of work could possibly "go to waste" and that would be a terrible thing to encounter :mad:

Akademee said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered in any previous posts, but is there any sort of function in Pepakura Designer that will allow you to see dimensions, like cubical dimensions such as length, width and height, or do I just have to rely on the scaling factor of being 6 foot and what not.
Yes. Look at the lower right hand corner of the pep window. You'll see the dimensions of the assembled model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frizzlefry said:
WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.
When I go into 2-d pattern window I cant get "Scale Up/Down by specifying value" to show up, is it because 1. I only have the viewer 2. Im generally a noob or 3. My pepakura viewer has diabetus? Please help I fail at scaling

Picorchu said:
When I go into 2-d pattern window I cant get "Scale Up/Down by specifying value" to show up, is it because 1. I only have the viewer 2. Im generally a noob or 3. My pepakura viewer has diabetus? Please help I fail at scaling
It's because Pep Viewer is meant to do just that: to view .pdo files. It's not meant to do any editing nor scaling, hence that feature that you're looking for is not there. Get Pep Designer instead.

Ral Partha said:
It's because Pep Viewer is meant to do just that: to view .pdo files. It's not meant to do any editing nor scaling, hence that feature that you're looking for is not there. Get Pep Designer instead.
Thats a bummer, I have to pay for something lol

Thanks for the help

Edit: I purchased the program Im stupid for thinking the viewer was for more than viewing
:confused:

Picorchu said:
Thats a bummer, I have to pay for something lol

Thanks for the help

Edit: I purchased the program Im stupid for thinking the viewer was for more than viewing
:confused:
I'm pretty sure you can use the designer for free. It's only if you want to save that you have to pay for it.

Not saying that people shouldn't buy it as it's amazing software.

<ul>[*]Hey here is an idea:[*]I used the scaling details from this thread http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1804 enterd the right scale and came up with these numbers.[*]75/86=0.872093[*]Now I multipled it by the current scale of 30.3419 and got 26.461045.[*]I enterd 26.46 (forget the 1045 because the measurements only change up to two decimal points)[*]These are the results I got in Height/Width/Depth respectively: 278mm/242mm/354mm [*]I recorded those measurements and used them as a reference for all other pep files HD or not, plug those into one of the Height/Width/Depth categories and watch as the results for the other two are automatically entered and are porportional for the pep file. Try entering all the amounts for each category and view your results. [*]Decide which is the closest to the orginal Fraz pep scale and use that scaling[*]Note not all numbers in each category were exactly the same, but they were close. Example for one HD file I entered the height as 278mm and the width became 242mm (same) but the depth 361mm was slightly larger. [*]Keep in mind that 1 in = 2.54 cm the the difference in 361mm and 354mm is only actually around a quarter of an inch(0.275in) really not that big of a deal.[*]I hope this helps I used this method and it worked for me.[/list]

I am having a bit of a dilemma with Pepakura weapons, I am trying to get some A4 legal paper, but i am stuck with Letter sized for some time. I've noticed that for weapons like the shotgun and sniper rifle, the barrel extends WAY off the paper, I don't even thing if A4 would solve the problem. I think scaling down a weapon is a bit worthless (since who wants a small shotgun?) and I've been considering using a scrap piece of thin PVC pipe to use as the barrel after strengthening.

my question is, is there any way to break pieces in half so that the two can be centered on the paper without the fear of printer margins erasing some of the lines and such?

flying_squirl said:
as regards the height, yup, its the lowest to the heighest points on the model. :) not...quite... sure what the rest ment.

now, on getting the assembled height mesurement you need, you'll need to get this mesurement in cm:
LeonidasMonument2.jpg

this mesurement
and then add about 2-4 cm for padding and breathing room and get the assembled height off the chart then add it into pep.:)

20 cm across – 25.25 cm high

25 cm across – 31.35 cm high

30 cm across – 38.50 cm high

35 cm across – 44.42 cm high

40 cm across – 50.41 cm high

45 cm across – 56.75 cm high

50 cm across – 62.80 cm high
TAHDAHHHHH!!!!!!

FS :)

Well i just followed the instruction form FS for his HD pep chest, but its seems that im doing something wrong. If someone can help me that would be fantastic.
- "pit size" 42 cm + 3= 45
- Open the HD file
- Recalulate Parts Layout
- Manual [click]
- Input 567 mm in the box Height
- Pieces are way to big

Any idea what im doing wrong?

falcon NL said:
Well i just followed the instruction form FS for his HD pep chest, but its seems that im doing something wrong. If someone can help me that would be fantastic.
- "pit size" 42 cm + 3= 45
- Open the HD file
- Recalulate Parts Layout
- Manual [click]
- Input 567 mm in the box Height
- Pieces are way to big

Any idea what im doing wrong?
A few weeks after he posted that scaling table, FS posted this on his thread

flying_squirl said:
ERK!! em, anyone who's used the scaling formula for the chest, looks like its waaaaay off, sorry! im takin it down from the first post.
I have a different scaling system but still uses the armpit distance. I suggest that you use a height of 49.3 cm (or 493 mm). You may need to trim the opening around the ribcage.

Ral Partha said:
A few weeks after he posted that scaling table, FS posted this on his thread
I have a different scaling system but still uses the armpit distance. I suggest that you use a height of 49.3 cm (or 493 mm). You may need to trim the opening around the ribcage.

I just printed out the chest piece again. A 419 H didn't fit with my underarmour. So I'm trying a 433. Think that will work? Mostly I just couldn't get my arms through the holes. That, and the chest is tight thanks to this wonderful female body part called breasts...grr..

I saw you did the DFL HD helm. What scale do you recommend? Just wondering, lol.

Soul-Drinker said:
I just printed out the chest piece again. A 419 H didn't fit with my underarmour. So I'm trying a 433. Think that will work?
Without seeing how the first scaling fit you, there's no way for anyone here to definitive answer. If you give me the distance between your arm pits, I can give you a rough estimate on the appropriate assembled height for you.

Soul-Drinker said:
Mostly I just couldn't get my arms through the holes. That, and the chest is tight thanks to this wonderful female body part called breasts...grr..
With the Mk VI chest armor, most people around here (myself included) cut it into two pieces to form something like a clamshell.

Soul-Drinker said:
I saw you did the DFL HD helm. What scale do you recommend? Just wondering, lol.
The helmet that you saw me do is actually based on FS's HD helmet model. While I started pepping with DF4L's model, I later switched to FS's. Plus I didn't post any WIP pics on the DF4L helmet since it was just a test run. For the scaling recommendation (for the FS helmet), go to this link.

Ostrich said:
Umm well what if its in jpg format and not in pepakura? Where should you put in the information then? Also since I've got a Mac it pops up in Preview? So what should I do?

get pepakura viewer and ur armor files, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back