Pizzadude's Mk V helmet WIP thread *Lots of pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadude

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great information available on this forum. A couple weeks ago I first found out about pepakura, and then found this forum and decided I wanted to make my own armor.

This is a WIP thread to show my progress on my first real attempt. All critiques/criticism/helpful suggested are welcome!

My ultimate goal is to make a full set of MK 6 armor. I figured I'd practice first by making a Mark V helmet. It looks a little easier (less detail) and I haven't seen many of them on the forum.

I started off building the Mark V helmet pep design from Rundown (thanks for the pdo). This helmet is about the right size for me to wear, but I'm not cutting out the visor. Since this'll just be for practice, I'm just going to paint the pepped visor.

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

Then I added a few layers of primer. Oh, and before this step, I resined the outside and slushed rondo around in the inside.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Then I started sanding to smooth down the bumps and hot glue bits.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

After smoothing it down, I sprayed on silver to give the helmet a metallic base coat.

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

I don't know how well you can see it in the pictures, but, the silver coat was very very rough and bumpy. This taught me that I need to make sure to sand with fine grit sand paper before painting. So, I went ahead and wet sanded down the silver paint with some 600 grit sand paper. After that, it was much smoother!

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Masked off for painting the visor:
IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

Masked to paint the colored part:
IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

Masked off to paint black parts
IMAG0074.jpg

All colored!

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

So, that's the current state of my helmet. I'm not totally happy with how the painting turned out. Tomorrow I'm going to try to add in some dark color to the more detailed parts to make them show up better, and do some sanding to add a little more damage/wear. Then I may try spraying a couple layers of matte clear that I bought.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments? thanks

Love to have this pep file brought up again :) used to be alot more popular. Its a kickass helmet you got there ;)

I agree with you Rundown, it seems there's quite a few people interested in the good ol' Halo 1 stuff :)

Great to see it making a come back.

looks good!! Im using Rundown's helmet with my Mk V build too!! Your work makes me want to get home and finish it up soon!!

Its really, really nice. I have done Mk V helmet and some parts for my Blue suit. You did awsome job. I like it.

Wow, that's really nice!
Are you going to put in a visor and some padding to wear it, or is it just going to be a room decoration? :p

did you use any bondo/mud on the outside or just resin and use a high grit sandpaper?

I used a small amount of bondo on the outside to smooth out one or two little parts. This helmet is really angular already, so I didn't feel like using a ton of the stuff to try to smooth out the corners. I'll leave it in all of its Halo 1 low-detail glory :)

Are you going to put in a visor and some padding to wear it, or is it just going to be a room decoration?

This one is just going to stay as a room decoration. Next one I make will be wearable :)

When I rondo'd the inside, I think I didn't use enough hardener, so the inside of the helmet is kind of sticky. The helmet is hardened well enough still, but if I use more hardener next time will I be able to avoid this problem, or does the rondo always end up a little bit sticky?

I think it stays a little but sticky until it is sanded. My rondo was the same way until I went over it with sandpaper and I also used a crap ton of hardener, both bondo and resin hardener.

Alright, I think I'm ready to call this one finished and start working on my Mark VI suit. I darkened up few parts here and there, and added some silver in a few places to give it a more worn look.

Anyone have any suggestions for me on how to improve the quality of my stuff in the future? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks everyone

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

Considering that this is a mk5 suit, Id say that the helmet really isnt that bad and you should kee it and just put a visor in! I mean there isnt too much lacking as the mk5 is a blocky helmet and suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back