-= Quit Smoke Now =- Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bev, Congrats! Ive been smokin for 10 years...........Yea..you can check my age.......I killed my lungs when I was young. I keep gettin bugged by everyone I know, even the smokers tell me to quit..

bevbor said:
Thanks people, for your support :)
I'm sure now - I'll die absolutely healthy :)

Nope, just healthier.

Stopping smoking doesn't make your whites Persil white or turn you into Mother Teresa, I'm afraid. While it's good you've stopped, all you're really doing is removing smoking-based health hazards from your life - hence why non-smokers can still get cancer or bronchitis and so on. That being said, that's less cancer sticks you're likely to topple over from.

Great going, anyways. I never smoked, but I'm screwed by a lifetime of passive smoking since my mother and father always smoked around me as a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought since you renamed the title of the thread to make it for general quitting encouragement I wanted to share a story with you all:

My father grew up on a farm. At age 7 his family had made a deal with the owner of the farm that gave them a discount on the rent if he would help the farmhands with morning chores before school everyday. All of the farmhands smoked, and it wasn't very long before my father did too. Yep, he started smoking at age 7!

He finally managed to quit about 4 or 5 years ago. By my math that would total up to around 55 years of smoking, but still he managed to quit, cold turkey.

Today, he's in great health again. He's retired, gotten back in touch with his interests, has more energy and vitality than he's had in years. His COPD subsided, and the bronchitis has gradually begun to lessen. Now whether the damage has been done or not, he's conquered his addiction, and regained control of his life because he quit. Right now he's probably living on the time he's gotten back from his life from quitting smoking... and he's happier than he's ever been, has all the time to do whatever he wants to do with the life he has left. For the last few years he's been raising money for cancer patients.

Now that doesn't make him Mother Teresa or anything, but we're all pretty proud of him and glad to still have him around. I told him that I quit last night. Needless to say, he's pretty pleased about that. ;)

Some facts for you smokers from the American Cancer Society:

20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate and blood pressure drops.

12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease.

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker's.

Other benefits to quitting:

* Hands and feet become warmer from improved circulation.
* Blood pressure and pulse rate lower and approach normal.
* Mouth and hair no longer smell of smoke.
* Senses of taste and smell improve.
* Cough disappears and phlegm production returns to normal.
* Stamina increases significantly.
* Energy level is higher.
* Field of vision increases by 15 to 20 percent.
* Risk of all diseases caused by smoking is reduced - emphysema, heart attacks, and cancers of all types.

That's right, you'll see better! Weird, huh?

Anyhow, alright, I'm done being preachy. Thanks for reading.

My grandma smoked :( and got cancer from it.
She has passed now and it's sad, but I'll never smoke.
Congrats for quitting!

Wow, congrats Sean & Bev.

My dad was like yours, Sean. He says he remembers sitting in Kindergarten and wanting to smoke...lol. Ah, such a tender age. He quit 10 years ago, having been a smoker for some 30 odd years.

That's great that you all have kicked it. You'll save loads of money and your breathing will feel loads better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back