Rachciav's Boot And Odst Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright so i did manage to finish both suits, not as good as i had hoped but atleast the main pieces were done. all i finished on the marine was the elbows, chest, and helmet thought the chest is going to have to be redone. i finished the sniper but the bi-pod broke off, and i lost a toe piece to the mc armor as well as a few chiped parts on the boots and shins. it could have been better as far as movement and damage, but it wasnt so bad. heres a few pics of the suit all finished and i cant fin the marine pics at the moment so ill post them as soon as i find them.

CIMG5001.jpg

CIMG5003.jpg

CIMG4982.jpg

CIMG4977.jpg

CIMG4976.jpg

CIMG4964.jpg

CIMG4958.jpg

it was fun having people recognize me most of them said "hey its the halo guy" or just "holy sh**" that gave me a laugh. i did get a few "oh youre a storm trooper right?" or "master what?" some old guy called me "an astronaut terrorist" wtf? the marine was mistaken for robo cop :rolleyes people these days....i had a lot of visor fogging issues even with something covering my mouth and good ventilation. i need to install the fans before comic-con. it was a good test run though. hopefully conventions dont have many stairs cause thats what killed me.

rachciav said:
quote: Very well done, I hope mine turns out this good! I do think you should add some weathering with Adam's tutorial before comic-con though.

thanks. and yea i did add weathering with the same technique as adam, you probably cant see it in the horrible quality pictures my camera is only 4.1 mega pixels. and the lighting is horrible. but i promise more pics soon probably a few from Halloween.speaking of comic con though is anyone going to the one in new york i know a few people live near by...or how about VGXPO its in Philadelphia....anyone?

anyway here's pics of the reworked thigh strapping. tell me what you think.

what i did is took an old black belt i found, tore the straps off the spartan diaper and attached them to the new belt, which is stronger and i can wear higher. and now i can move the spartan diaper to the desired height to make the correct difference between diaper and chest.
Not a problem, I don't have a decent camera at the moment either. And your thigh strapping looks much better, it should be much more comfortable to walk in aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote:Not a problem, I don't have a decent camera at the moment either. And your thigh strapping looks much better, it should be much more comfortable to walk in aswell.

yea it made walking a lot easier but it still wasn't as easy as i would have wanted.

ok so rather than clutter the forums with a new thread ill just use this one.
ive decided that my armor isnt good enough, and i dont consider it finished....so im going to move onto molded pieces.
i plan on getting the handplates and shins done by comic con. (February) and also finish adding electronics to the helmet, and build a BR. heres some progress pics.

im using bevbor's sliced BR model. still have to cut 4 more pieces, but i had to stop because i accidentally stabbed my hand with the exacto :/
DSC03706.jpg

this is my first sculpt ever, yes i know it sucks but its not done. also im using some crappy crayola clay er something that i found at my house, until the real clay gets delivered. so im not actualy molding this. its only for practice...tell me what you think.
DSC03704.jpg

rachciav said:
ok so rather than clutter the forums with a new thread ill just use this one.
ive decided that my armor isnt good enough, and i dont consider it finished....so im going to move onto molded pieces.
i plan on getting the handplates and shins done by comic con. (February) and also finish adding electronics to the helmet, and build a BR. heres some progress pics.

im using bevbor's sliced BR model. still have to cut 4 more pieces, but i had to stop because i accidentally stabbed my hand with the exacto :/
DSC03706.jpg

this is my first sculpt ever, yes i know it sucks but its not done. also im using some crappy crayola clay er something that i found at my house, until the real clay gets delivered. so im not actualy molding this. its only for practice...tell me what you think.
DSC03704.jpg
Nice job on both! Sculpting takes practice, I'm glad that you decided to make a "test piece" rather than rushing into it ;).

btw, Exacto knifes hurt.

Overlord_Ian said:
Nice job on both! Sculpting takes practice, I'm glad that you decided to make a "test piece" rather than rushing into it ;).

btw, Exacto knifes hurt.

thanks :D sculpting is waaay harder than i expected. not that i thought it was easy, but its just difficult. i keep messing up parts when i finish them.
i decided to make the test piece so i had some sort of an idea of what exactly i was doing before i used the real clay.

ive had many exacto accidents before this wasnt one of the worst ones but it went pretty deep i think i mightve gotten nerve damage cause my whole hand hurt, but whatever.
i will be posting pics of the new handplate soon, because my clay arrived yesterday.

RadioactiV777 said:
You wouldn't mind posting pictures of your marine would you?

ok so heres some pics i took just now...

elbows:
CIMG5148.jpg

chest (back):
CIMG5145.jpg

chest (front):
CIMG5146.jpg

helmet (top):
CIMG5143.jpg

helmet (side):
CIMG5141.jpg

helmet (front):
CIMG5142.jpg

and one pic of the just started new handplate which i think im going to restart
CIMG5149.jpg

Hm.

If you're worried about helm tech and fan-work, I do have some solutions that I can give you that'll help prevent the problem from occurring.

Crucible said:
Hm.

If you're worried about helm tech and fan-work, I do have some solutions that I can give you that'll help prevent the problem from occurring.

yea my brother took the soldering iron to college with him, so i didnt know how to connect the wires with out it. i considered using electrical tape, but didnt want to start an electrical fire in my helmet. also i wasnt sure it i neede a resistor for the leds or where to put wires and batteries.

For the sculpting starting out that is really good, the second start as well. I mean just take the time and it will be beautiful.

You've got a few great projects going on!

TheRob said:
For the sculpting starting out that is really good, the second start as well. I mean just take the time and it will be beautiful.

You've got a few great projects going on!

thanks! i dont really like how they turned out maybe thats just because ive been staring at it for so long and i can see all the imperfections, but they just dont look right to me.

heres some progress pics of the handplate so far...

CIMG5156.jpg

CIMG5157.jpg

Are you kidding man? That's getting to be a excellent job! My sculpting wouldn't even get the base shape out of that. The time and dedication you are putting into it is really showing, and when its done it truly is yours.

SIERRA NEVADA FTW.....i always kinduv knew that if the chief had a moment to sit back and throw back a cold one he would sip on a sierra nevada...com on its in the name...sierra ?!

TheRob said:
Are you kidding man? That's getting to be a excellent job! My sculpting wouldn't even get the base shape out of that. The time and dedication you are putting into it is really showing, and when its done it truly is yours.
thanks. i still think its alittle too wide and one side is a little thicker than the other. i was trying to make it as in game acurate, but still my own. i just dont know if its mold worthy yet.

Humboldt_spartan said:
SIERRA NEVADA FTW.....i always kinduv knew that if the chief had a moment to sit back and throw back a cold one he would sip on a sierra nevada...com on its in the name...sierra ?!

lol! yea thats not mine its my dad's. but it does look funny.

ok so mini update. i thought about how i was going to sculpt the shin, i wasnt sure if i should just sculpt from a huge block or build clay up on a figure. and for lack of funds to buy a huge chunk of clay i decided the second method, using a packing tape newspaper filled cast of my leg. i thought about also trying to make this in pieces almost. i figured that the shin is basically just a bunch of shapes when broken down so why not cut slabs of clay to that shape then add them to the leg. i probably didnt explain that clearly so heres a drawing of what i mean:

DSC03711.jpg

arrows point to where each shape corresponds to the shin

heres what ive done so far:
DSC03709.jpg

also i cant figure out how to change the title of my thread (if thats possible) does anyone know how? because this isnt really a marine or mark vi build anymore and its past halloween.

rachciav said:
also i cant figure out how to change the title of my thread (if thats possible) does anyone know how? because this isnt really a marine or mark vi build anymore and its past halloween.
Just edit your first original post using the edit button and click "Full Edit". You should be able to change it at the top.

Damn, how did I miss this thread? The spartan armor looks great! Good job... the only thing I would recommend is to add some strapping for the shoulder/bicep piece (something similar to Adam's. I did mine that way and it works great), but that's minor.

I'd like to see how the marine armor looks with you wearing it.

Enrisan said:
Just edit your first original post using the edit button and click "Full Edit". You should be able to change it at the top.
i never woulda thought of that. thanks!

pooper said:
Damn, how did I miss this thread? The spartan armor looks great! Good job... the only thing I would recommend is to add some strapping for the shoulder/bicep piece (something similar to Adam's. I did mine that way and it works great), but that's minor.

I'd like to see how the marine armor looks with you wearing it.

thanks :D i used adam's method of shoulder strapping. it just slid down my back and was suuuuper annoying. i had to keep asking people to fix it on halloween. i was planning on adding a second strap to it before comic-con but i wasnt sure were to place it so it wouldnt be seen or interfere with other pieces.

i think i have a picture of my brother wearing it. if not ill probably take pictures with me in it soon. it needs some fixing up though.....same with my sniper i lost one leg to the bi-pod

You can add some padding to make it snugged around your arm... what I did was used elbow pads to hold them up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back