Reach and mass effects, its been awhile for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is amazing.. I think I am going to make my next armor in foam. ^_^ The only question i have is the detailing and paint.. do you have to use something to prevent the paint for flacking and cracking off?

This is amazing.. I think I am going to make my next armor in foam. ^_^ The only question i have is the detailing and paint.. do you have to use something to prevent the paint for flacking and cracking off?
The Plasti-Dip base lets the paint flex without coming off. I have bent a test sample in half back and forth and nothing happens to the Krylon Fusion on it. On a really detailed paint job, I could see a dramatic bend splitting the paint but I think it would take quite a bit to do it. To keep it from coming off from scrapes and bumps, you could use clear Plast-Dip spray to seal it.

The Plasti-Dip base lets the paint flex without coming off. I have bent a test sample in half back and forth and nothing happens to the Krylon Fusion on it. On a really detailed paint job, I could see a dramatic bend splitting the paint but I think it would take quite a bit to do it. To keep it from coming off from scrapes and bumps, you could use clear Plast-Dip spray to seal it.

Ahhh..I see.. but what about making the foam armor more durable? Do you ahve to coat it with resin on top?

Not a wise choice with a straight resin topcoat, since that dries hard, it will most likely crack like the glaze on a donut.

German's suggestion of plasti-dip to seal it (as in coat it) would be much better.

Ahhh..I see.. but what about making the foam armor more durable? Do you ahve to coat it with resin on top?
Check out some of the foam at Harbor Freight, the stuff is already really durable. This is not polystyrene like the stuff monitors, TVs etc. are packaged in. It is the kind of stuff you see used for Yoga mats or mats to put gym equipment on. The foam is the same used by cosplayers in Japan and the Philippines. I can provide a link or two from Replica Prop Forum if you want to see more.

I ordered some stuff called Foam Coat that is supposed to give it a hard, sandable surface if you are looking for something that will make the armor even more rigid(the foam already is).

Wow! This is my first time seeing this thread and I must say, it's such an amazing build. I actually had an idea to use an iTouch or iPhone for a TacPad, but I see you beat me to it. ^_^ Great job. I'll be keeping an eye out for a how-to.

that N7 armor is amazing you haft to sell kits or show how to make it because you have the best N7 suit Ive ever seen.

yeah, both EvilFX at http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/ and Volpin at http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/ have done Mass effect armor awhile ago, and have finished pieces which are pretty impressive (evilFX's has a great step by step of it)
nither of them have tried halo though, and i'm glad timecon has shown how well this can all be done.

it's kind of crazy how fast the whole foam armor build stuff has exploded in popularity the last two months.

yeah, both EvilFX at http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/ and Volpin at http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/ have done Mass effect armor awhile ago, and have finished pieces which are pretty impressive (evilFX's has a great step by step of it)
nither of them have tried halo though, and i'm glad timecon has shown how well this can all be done.

it's kind of crazy how fast the whole foam armor build stuff has exploded in popularity the last two months.

i think its mainly due to the fact that its cheap, fast, easy, and the only harmful fumes it involves is spray paint.
As long as you have a dremel, hot glue, foam, and some common sense, its a relatively easy process.

on the contrary eternallydusk I have never ever used foam before and when I found bioweapons, even though he doesn't say a lot if you study the pictures its quite easy to figure out how he did it. I found the website on a wed night, found were he bought the foam at on by reading his thread on the rpf which is harbor freight for those wondering, bought it the next day and started building, of course another member/friend on here was kind enough to lend me his pattern for some parts and I modified it to my liking, so that did save some time. but he doest want me to release it and that will be up to him when he is ready, so please don't ask me for them as I want to respect his wishes, however I will share his blog to give him the credit he deserves, http://www.yodajammies.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

as for a tutorial on my reach armor I really cant provide one at this time, all I can say is I took a pep model, took out the bigger pieces and muddled through the rest as you don't need a lot of the smaller pieces, I used a dremal for all the shaping of parts, I used hot glue, exact o knife, ruler, and pen, I also used .25 in foam and the standard thin sheets of black for detail stuff. but I can show you some of the pieces

0bf4f3e6.jpg

I am loving your armor!!!

I have a quick question for you timecon. what pep did you use for the torso and is it scaled correctly? i just tryed starting my own, but its too small and i have no idea how to scale so if you can help me, id love ya forever!

Thanks

Brad

I am loving your armor!!!

I have a quick question for you timecon. what pep did you use for the torso and is it scaled correctly? i just tryed starting my own, but its too small and i have no idea how to scale so if you can help me, id love ya forever!

Thanks

Brad
Doing a quick check of chest files, I'm pretty sure its the L3X BLU3R1V3R chest piece(looking at the file right now, and it appears spot-on)

I'm also curious at what you scaled it, so I can adjust to my height( 5'11") and begin on this.

sorry Im just way busy this time of year but to answer a couple questions, yes on the model, I used L3X BLU3R1V3R, for the chest size the best advice I can give you for the size it take the neck hole piece and if your face fits in it like a picture frame that seems to work the best thats how I did mine and my sisters.

Behold the evolution. I was wondering when there would be a breakthrough.
Nice work.
It may be narcissistic to quote oneself but, I just came back to this thread after posting that quick blurb and I have to say that as good as things looked at the beginning of this project, there was no way I could have forseen how utterly amazing the final complete and painted suit would look. The level of innovation you have taken this method of armoring to is only overshadowed by your obsessive attention to detail.

This methodology may not be new but I doubt it's been utilized to such astounding effect.

ok I posted these on my facebook for the friends to look at first but I thought some of you may be interested to see how the helmet is coming along so heres what I got done on my last 2 days off and hopefully I'll get more done this week if weather permits.

6664e508.jpg

7d26e3e8.jpg

9dc4001c.jpg

8192d57e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back